hot spots

Thread: hot spots

Feb 2004

hot spots

1) so in my readings and postings, hot spots have become a concern for me. however, what exactly are "hot spots" and what can be done to stop them? cleat placement, stiffer sole? back when i had my Allez, i donned it with Ultegras and would every now and then get that numb foot/toes feeling. i wore Specialized Team road shoes and the bigger-than-Eggs-cleat SPD-R cleat. was the numbness the "hot spot"? why don't i experience them when riding my mtn bike? i run Eggs and Speccy Team mtn shoes on my Inbred.

2) if you find a shoe that's less than $200, but has a carbon sole (such as the Pearl Izumi Vapor), is there likely to be some corners cut somewhere else, such as stitching?

3) how do get to the old forums so i can do some searching there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Pressure..

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    1) so in my readings and postings, hot spots have become a concern for me. however, what exactly are "hot spots" and what can be done to stop them? cleat placement, stiffer sole? back when i had my Allez, i donned it with Ultegras and would every now and then get that numb foot/toes feeling. i wore Specialized Team road shoes and the bigger-than-Eggs-cleat SPD-R cleat. was the numbness the "hot spot"? why don't i experience them when riding my mtn bike? i run Eggs and Speccy Team mtn shoes on my Inbred.

2) if you find a shoe that's less than $200, but has a carbon sole (such as the Pearl Izumi Vapor), is there likely to be some corners cut somewhere else, such as stitching?

3) how do get to the old forums so i can do some searching there?
    "Hot Spots" are caused by pressure. It can be pain, burning or numbness. It's almost always caused by pressure around the foot. Causes can be shoes that are too tight, improper cleat position, pedals that are too narrow, or all of the above. Usually a change in your cleat position will fix it. Some pedal systems work for some and some don't. I did not know what hot spots were either untill a couple of seasons ago and I had pain in my feet that was so bad I would have to stop and get off my bike and pull my shoes off. I read up on cleat position and dialed in my cleats over the balls of my feet and that took care of it (I ended up moving my cleats back). I do well with Look pedals as most of the models are wide and they accomodate my feet. Most guys just go with what works for them. Pedals and saddles are very individual choices and what works for one, might not work for another.

Shimano makes a shoe that has a full carbon sole (R150-$170). But there is no way of telling if you will like them. I always try on shoes at my LBS first, buy them there, then the next time around buy them over the internet to save money (if that model is still around).

A good book to have laying around is "Bicycling Medicine" by Arnie Baker, M.D. That's where I went to solve my foot problem. I also wear over-the-counter foot supports-Super Feet. I have very high arches and need more support than the average bear.

You should be able to click on "Old Forums" at the top of the page, then go into the search engine to find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Dino