Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    corning my own beef
    Are you related to Rube Goldberg? I hide a mini-pump by dropping it in a jersey pocket.

quick, easy, simple.

does not require tools to retrieve or replace pump

does not eat up unnecessary time using previously mentioned tools for pump retrieval.

WHO's the smart one?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Fast No More.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
    I had never heard of anybody doing this before. And I have to admit I'm feel like I stayed at A Holiday Inn.
    1.) Holiday Inn Express.

2.) Someone else stayed there the other night.

3.) Charlie Cunningham stayed there before all y'all.

Glad you fell in love with your bike all over again, though
    Work to Eat | Eat to Live | Live to Ride | Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree that this would be tedious with a carbon seat post as you can really mess it up when putting it back on if you torque it too tight.

I've only been doing this for a little more than a year, but is there any reason why you wouldn't use CO2 over a hand pump? Also, where are you keeping your spare tube, taped under the saddle? You're going to have to keep the other things you need in the jersey or some type of bag anyway, so if I were in your shoes, I'd probably get a saddle bag. It doesn't look so bad and most of them also have attachments for lights on the back now too. If you're worried about looks, they make cool looking bags now too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to hide a mini pump.  I'm soo smart-img_1606%5B2%5D.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2011 Scott CR1 Team
    2010 Scott Scale 29
    1996 Gary Fisher Kaitai

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
    I have a NOS Odyssey seatpost/pump for 26.8mm.

Keeping a separate pump in your seatpost, especially something as attractive as a Lezyne, has to be about the stupidest thing I've heard of in a while. What's next? Waterproofing the frame and sticking a hose through the toptube so you don't have to have water bottles "cluttering up" the frame aesthetics? (Someone has already tried that, and I can't remember who...)
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    It's not a terrible idea. It is a bit incovenient but who cares? What's it to you. It's a great way to transport items as well. Think about the posibilites! You can become a drug mule with your bike frame being packed with opium and nobody would be he wiser. I think this has greater potential .

waterproof*
    Recreational riders piss me off.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Fierce Pancake
    Good luck to the OP. I'm guessing you don't use white bar tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Recreational riders piss me off.
    Form-over-Function "riders" piss me off. If you want the damn bike to look good when you're not riding it, that's one thing. But who gives a flying frak about how it looks when it's being ridden?

This whole "looks" thing is why we have tons of kids and other morons out there riding without brakes on their bikes - because the parts and cables clutter up the looks of the bike. Wah. A bike is a mechanical object, not a moulded cheese. It will have bits and bobs hanging off of it.

re: the Lezyne pump - do something worthwhile and get the Lezyne bottle cage. It has a pump holder machined into it. Wooo! One item that does 2 jobs! When you're sitting around the house wanking to your bike, just take the pump off and hide it. Don't tell us where.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Fast No More.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kret21 View Post
    It's not a terrible idea. It is a bit incovenient but who cares? What's it to you. It's a great way to transport items as well. Think about the posibilites! You can become a drug mule with your bike frame being packed with opium and nobody would be he wiser. I think this has greater potential .
    I worked with a wrench once who owned a sweet Serrotta 26" HT. Moved from the west coast to the east coast, packed his stash in his seat tube, and shipped the bike from his old shop to his new shop. Drenched his chain in hemp-based lube and left the bottle in the bottom of the box for good measure, "just in case". Got a little dent in the top tube but the box and its contents arrived otherwise unadulterated.
    Work to Eat | Eat to Live | Live to Ride | Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Everybody knows that you are supposed to keep your WEED hidden in the seatpost, especially if you have one of those new bong/seatpost combos and an MTB style quick release for rapid post removal. The dope will stay dry under almost any riding conditions. When you have 1/4 ounce of pot in the seatpost chamber, there is no room in there to hide the mini pump.

Teach me how to Bucky
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
    After reading the first line I was hoping there would be no reference to "cavity". Thank god.....
    It is probably very wrong, but that's also the joke that went through my head when I read "Hide a mini-pump..."
    "Why don't these people grow up, bicycles are for children, & trained animals. Get off the roads, and you won't get run over. These freaks with their space clothes speeding down the streets hit people all the time. I won't drive in your bike lane, you stay the hell off the road." Mervin Bell of Galloway, OH.

-Special thanks to osteomark for the avatar

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have no problem with what he is doing and kind of like the idea. From reading his post it is not a big deal to take it out of the post and there is no need to remove anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yikes.

Either put it in a jersey pocket or on your ST. These pumps blend right in & look good anyway.

If you truly hate a clutter bike, carrying CO2. Or CO2 plus a teeny tiny pump.

I'd never want to pull my post just to fix a flat. On some of the training rides I do people will get pissed if someone flats and doesn't have CO2; they'd probably leave someone who has to pull their post.

But, if you're happy with it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Form-over-Function "riders" piss me off. If you want the damn bike to look good when you're not riding it, that's one thing. But who gives a flying frak about how it looks when it's being ridden?

This whole "looks" thing is why we have tons of kids and other morons out there riding without brakes on their bikes - because the parts and cables clutter up the looks of the bike. Wah. A bike is a mechanical object, not a moulded cheese. It will have bits and bobs hanging off of it.

re: the Lezyne pump - do something worthwhile and get the Lezyne bottle cage. It has a pump holder machined into it. Wooo! One item that does 2 jobs! When you're sitting around the house wanking to your bike, just take the pump off and hide it. Don't tell us where.
    Although I think the OP's idea is nuts, I also think aesthetics are relevant, at least to some extent and that a balance between form and function can easily be achieved.

Farmguy
    Aug 2009
    The ugliest thing I hang on my bike is ME, so why worry about a few extra cling ons?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    This is the greatest thread ever posted on the internet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jersey pocket means something hard to fall on. Nothing hard goes in my jersey pocket.

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DavidsonDuke View Post
    Jersey pocket means something hard to fall on. Nothing hard goes in my jersey pocket.
    Are you riding on pillows or something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    ride an aluminum frame. would think that thing will rattle me to nuts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Excuse me guys while I take out my seat post and can somebody hold it so I don't have to lay it in the dirt, ok now to fish out that pump.
    Some people just like to make life hard.

Needs new heart and legs
    Jul 2011
    Htfu.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No. But I've heard stories of punctured lungs, broken ribs, and other injuries from falling with minitools, pumps, and tire levers in jersey pockets. I know it is racer boy chic to put everything in your pockets to preserve the lines on your bike. I prefer to preserve the lines of my body.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Seems to me you've been reading/hearing too many stories. While I know there are incidents, I don't think putting something in your jeresy pocket increases your probability for injury in any appreciable way. That said, I prefer a very small saddle bag, which is barely large enough for a one piece tool, one tube, CO2 head and two cans, tire levers, and patch kit. If I carry anything else (pump, gels, food, phone, etc) it goes in the jersey. It ain't about racer boy chic - it's about convenience and simplicity.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Disagree. I can't imagine why putting something large, pointy, and metal next to your body is a good idea for riding. Look, my worst accident in 30 years had nothing to do with foreign objects going into my body, but I can't see why i'd want to do it. You don't think a mini-tool could do some damage if you landed on it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the Lezyne also, its a work of art!! Great craftsmanship....a shame its hidden now, but to each his own!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast