How to hide a mini pump. I'm soo smart - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 90
  1. #51
    Formosan Cyclocross
    Reputation: Dajianshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,378
    I'm relieved to discover the reader does not have to have any foreknowledge of life in incarceration to understand your "hide the pump" game.

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Shoulder View Post
    While I know there are incidents, I don't think putting something in your jeresy pocket increases your probability for injury in any appreciable way. .
    Ive got gouged pretty good by having my car keys in my pocket. Its a pretty realistic argument! Really hurts!

    I still dont see whats so terrible about a frame pump.

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Waxbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    178
    Clip the pump to the seat tube or the downtube seems to me to be the simplest option. On the other hand hiding the pump in the seat tube will reduce the risk of it being stolen.

    It's quite a yard sale when an "all in the pockets" rider biffs.

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    82
    if you're worried about sticky tape try something else...heat shrink tubing. You can get it at your local hardware store, electrical supply house etc.

    If you need a lot of wraps of tape to get it to stick, put an oring over the pump then put the heat shrink tubing over that.

  5. #55
    Who needs a map?
    Reputation: nonsleepingjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You can buy unthreaded 12g carts from WalMart for 25carts for the same price.

    FYI - make sure you buy bike specific CO2 cartridges. The ones for BB guns contain oil mixed in with the CO2 that lubricates the parts of the gun each time it fires. You probably don't want that in your inner tube.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

  6. #56
    Re-Cyclist
    Reputation: Special Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,563
    Not really a bad idea. Too bad there are so many non-wrenchers here who think that loosening ONE screw to take a seat post out is such a big deal. Carry that allen wrench (or a multi-unit) and it takes less that 30 seconds to remove the post and about a minute to install, align and tighten. Forget the electrical tape to retain the pump, just use a cork or rubber stopper.

    I already use the shorter version of the Lezyne pump, and it fits fine in my jersey pocket.

    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

  7. #57
    pedalpedalpedal
    Reputation: f3rg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    895
    This is a nice idea, I don't know why people are being such dicks about it. I have an integrated seatpost with a shim under the topper (on a carbon frame), so this is far too much hassle for me, but I can see the obvious benefits with a normal seatpost. If nothing else, you will never forget to take your pump with you.

    Back in my MTB-only days, my frame used a 31.6mm post, so I used to keep a good length of rolled-up toilet paper inside there, sealed in a Zip-lock bag. Never ended up needing it, but it was good to know I had it in case of emergency.

  8. #58
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg View Post
    This is a nice idea, I don't know why people are being such dicks about it. I have an integrated seatpost with a shim under the topper (on a carbon frame), so this is far too much hassle for me, but I can see the obvious benefits with a normal seatpost. If nothing else, you will never forget to take your pump with you.
    Pretty much agree, but I have a feeling that the first time he gets a flat and has to pull the seat to get at his pump, he'll realize it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Or not.

    The only real problem I see is that it adds complexity; a pump down the seat tube runs the risk of it getting stuck, and obligates the rider to have a second tool just to get at it.

    The K.I.S.S. method works for just about everything in life. ymmv
    Hell is other posters

  9. #59
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,375
    I keep coming back to the OP not having a floor pump (unless I'm mis reading).

    So he's going to have to dig out that hidden pump every day or two just to top off his tires, at the excruciatingly slow pace of a mini pump.

    Because he can't afford $15 for a basic, totally functional floor pump?

    I can kind of understand the wanting to hide a mini pump - although I do get a chuckle out of the prissy good-looks oriented cyclists who are way too concerned about "lines" and matching handlebar tape to their saddles, etc. But I can kind of understand it, aesthetics are just important to them

    But to do normal tire pumping with a mini pump that is designed and intended for very occasional "emergency" use, is just too much, especially when coupled with making it even harder to use for the sake of good looks. I guess everybody's different.

  10. #60
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I keep coming back to the OP not having a floor pump (unless I'm mis reading).

    So he's going to have to dig out that hidden pump every day or two just to top off his tires, at the excruciatingly slow pace of a mini pump.

    Because he can't afford $15 for a basic, totally functional floor pump?

    I can kind of understand the wanting to hide a mini pump - although I do get a chuckle out of the prissy good-looks oriented cyclists who are way too concerned about "lines" and matching handlebar tape to their saddles, etc. But I can kind of understand it, aesthetics are just important to them

    But to do normal tire pumping with a mini pump that is designed and intended for very occasional "emergency" use, is just too much, especially when coupled with making it even harder to use for the sake of good looks. I guess everybody's different.
    Yes sadly English is your second language. Nowhere did I say I use the mini pump as my main/floor pump. You're trying so hard to put up a negative smart ass post and jump on the hater bandwagon LOL, that you're not even reading and understanding anything. At least try to follow the thread.

    Not everybody wears that Spandex crap and Jerseys to look like a racer, like all the other road biker lemmings, therefore no jersey pocket.

    Thanks for the replies, they were fun to read

  11. #61
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14
    I have one of these and i never really figured out how to equip it on properly until i read this, awesome! thanks

  12. #62
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    438
    are you The Chad? Sounds like it.
    Roadie since Dec. 2000

  13. #63
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,222
    Cool idea for the solo rider
    But in a group setting, could be a bit uncool as you make the pack wait while you get the wrench, pull the post, pull the pump...

    When someone flats in my group/club, it turns into a relaxed version of a NASCAR pit stop - everyone (okay 3-5 guys) jump in, one offers up a tube and blows some air in it, another starts threading a CO2, one guy's holding the bike up, rider is popping rear wheel... someone hands him the tire irons... We're gone in 2-3 minutes... and it was a relaxed, 2-3 minutes. Not a panic scramble. And YES - everyone is very capable of changing their own tubes. But, because we all use the same basic stuff, it's really easy to speed up the process.

    In your case, you're going to be on your own - as the group looks on, wondering if a rabbit is next out of that seat tube...

    Not a fan.

  14. #64
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,782
    Quote Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
    Yes sadly English is your second language. Nowhere did I say I use the mini pump as my main/floor pump. You're trying so hard to put up a negative smart ass post and jump on the hater bandwagon LOL, that you're not even reading and understanding anything. At least try to follow the thread.

    Not everybody wears that Spandex crap and Jerseys to look like a racer, like all the other road biker lemmings, therefore no jersey pocket.

    Thanks for the replies, they were fun to read
    Thinking someone is an idiot =/= "hater".

    On a side note, whomever came up with that word (and those who use it) need to be anally violated by rabid dingos with syphilis.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  15. #65
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: vontress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Kret21 View Post
    Good to know
    If these are bike specific, this is valuable stuff. Thanks.

  16. #66
    Fierce Pancake
    Reputation: qatarbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,817
    Not everybody wears that Spandex crap and Jerseys to look like a racer, like all the other road biker lemmings, therefore no jersey pocket.
    Correct, many of us wear lycra and cycling jerseys because they are functional and convenient: unlike keeping a minipump down a seat-tube (IMO).

    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Thinking someone is an idiot =/= "hater".

    On a side note, whomever came up with that word (and those who use it) need to be anally violated by rabid dingos with syphilis.
    Aw cmon brah, don't be hatin'. Just sayin' bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.
    .

  17. #67
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    313
    @ OP Ingenious, but too much hassle to get your pump out.

    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
    I would just keep it in the center jersey pocket or in a second water bottle for short rides. I don't know about you but, I don't like to mess with any fit type adjustments once I have them dialed in.
    X2.................hate messing with that stuff once it's figured.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 10-10-2011 at 10:21 AM.

  18. #68
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    165
    personally, i love this idea....

    actually came up with some additions so i can make my bike and i look super clean....no camelback, seatbag or pockets required.

    i disassembled my multi-tool and chain tool and stuck each piece into the ends of my bars before re-attaching the plug

    i rolled up my flat repair kit and shoved it in that hollow spot in my isis cranks/bottom bracket.

    i put an extra tube in each one of my tires.....and i only inflated one of them. rides a little bumpy, but it should even out with time.

    i put a pump and tire levers in my seattube, like the OP.

    and then any food i need during the ride i just put up my butt. wrap it in a condom first though so it doesn't taste bad. bananas and clif shot blocs are easy.....granola bars tend to crumble up and cause discomfort.

  19. #69
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,162
    When it comes to hiding minipumps or similarly quasi-cylindrically shaped objects, KY jelly can be a godsend.

  20. #70
    Needs new heart and legs
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    personally, i love this idea....

    actually came up with some additions so i can make my bike and i look super clean....no camelback, seatbag or pockets required.

    i disassembled my multi-tool and chain tool and stuck each piece into the ends of my bars before re-attaching the plug

    i rolled up my flat repair kit and shoved it in that hollow spot in my isis cranks/bottom bracket.

    i put an extra tube in each one of my tires.....and i only inflated one of them. rides a little bumpy, but it should even out with time.

    i put a pump and tire levers in my seattube, like the OP.

    and then any food i need during the ride i just put up my butt. wrap it in a condom first though so it doesn't taste bad. bananas and clif shot blocs are easy.....granola bars tend to crumble up and cause discomfort.
    wtf

  21. #71
    Mehpic
    Reputation: 2cflyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    8,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You can buy unthreaded 12g carts from WalMart for 25carts for the same price.
    i heard a rumor that the ones you got from wallmart/target/etc are for bb guns and such and thus contain a small amount of oil, while the cycling specific ones do no.

    has anyone else heard this?

    edit: nosleepingjohn beat me to it. apparently it is true!
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

    The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

  22. #72
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,997
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    personally, i love this idea....

    actually came up with some additions so i can make my bike and i look super clean....no camelback, seatbag or pockets required.

    i disassembled my multi-tool and chain tool and stuck each piece into the ends of my bars before re-attaching the plug

    i rolled up my flat repair kit and shoved it in that hollow spot in my isis cranks/bottom bracket.

    i put an extra tube in each one of my tires.....and i only inflated one of them. rides a little bumpy, but it should even out with time.

    i put a pump and tire levers in my seattube, like the OP.

    and then any food i need during the ride i just put up my butt. wrap it in a condom first though so it doesn't taste bad. bananas and clif shot blocs are easy.....granola bars tend to crumble up and cause discomfort.
    I'm pretty sure that that's how the pros do it.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  23. #73
    ave
    ave is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    I was considering doing the same for quite some time. I never needed my mini pump in the last 2 years, so not much hassle, I'd say.
    Never got around to do so.

    Now as I have a LOOK 586 SL with ISP, it's dead easy to remove the "seat post" and replace it after.
    But obviously other problems arisen, seat tube inner diameter is small, like 23mm at the most, and there's nothing to attach the pump to. But I'll do it somehow.

    Actually I was thinking if I could shove a spare inner into the seat tube as well somehow?

  24. #74
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    25
    Fairly sure the Synapse is a carbon seatpost, at least in the Carbon 3 that I have.

  25. #75
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: xjbaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Are you related to Rube Goldberg?
    I would give you incredibly belated rep for this, but I have to spread it around first.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
  2. Need a Mini-Pump
    By Mdeth1313 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 03:50 PM
  3. Anyone have a mini-pump they actually like?
    By MB1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 10:32 AM
  4. Bag for Mini Pump
    By AppleCyclingComputer in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 10:28 AM
  5. Help. I need a mini pump
    By Dave Hickey in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.