How to hide a mini pump. I'm soo smart
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

How to hide a mini pump. I'm soo smart

I had never heard of anybody doing this before. And I have to admit I'm feel like I stayed at A Holiday Inn.

Even though I'm a Clyde, I still desire my newly aquired Cannondale Synapse to be clean and uncluttered looking (sexy). I have a Lezyne Mini pump (see pic). This pump is freakin awesome by the way, as long as you're not in a hurry. I'm going to buy the're top of the line floor pump when I get my REI money in Spring.

Ok my point. The pump IMO is a work of art and it's almost a shame I made it 100% dissapear.

I'm going to try to explain this without using diagrams and lots of pics and stuff. You can probably figure out what I'm saying by looking at the pic as reference.

Long story short. The mini pump is stored inside my seat post!!!!

The handle end is a little larger diameter than the piston part. The handle end fits inside the seat tube, with room to spare. The smaller piston end fits inside the seatpost with room to spare.

What I did was popped off the two rubber gromets that cover up the threaded openings. Since it's now in a 100% clean area, no need for them plus they are in the way. Next I wraped the whole pump piston part and handle part (like how you'd wrap bar tap) with electrical tape. This keeps it from getting scratched and if your in one of those deals where your near the end of your ride and have to keep topping off with air, you can just carry it in your teeth LOL.

egh this is going to take to long to explain. I will take pics later.

Nothing rattles and no noises. It's a wedge'press fit, once you wrap more tape to build up the diameter at the piston athe very end of the pistin tube.

I'm too tired to explain now. I fell in love with my bike all over again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Make sure to have a mini-tool with you because if you don't then so much for having a pump that's trapped inside of your bike when you need it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kret21 View Post
    Make sure to have a mini-tool with you because if you don't then so much for having a pump that's trapped inside of your bike when you need it.
    The alan wrench for the seat clamp is the size same for the neck, bars and aero bars adjustments. I'm keeping it in a aero bag I'm in the proceess of getting but I may just go with a quick release seat clamp anyway.

Masters Neophyte
    It's always nice to keep the bike clean and sleek looking...
    I agree on the Lezyne pumps, btw- great stuff!!
    I have the next size down and just stuff it in a jersey pocket. (Not exactly "hidden", but doesn't clutter up the lines of my bike either...)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I take it you live a place where there's little junk on the road to cause a flat.
    Blows your hair back.

Rob
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Good one. I also dislike frame pumps and anything that messes up the clean look of a bike (except water bottles - gotta have those). I am considering purchasing a Synapse and one of my favorite things about it is the internal routing of the rear brake cable - it just looks much sleeker and you don't usually see it on bike in that price range. I also like that SRAM routed the brake/shift cables under the handlebar tape even in their least expensive Apex group. I admit I have a fetish for concealed cables. I'm just weird that way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Or just use CO2 cartridges? 3 for $10 where I live.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I have that pump on all my bikes and agree that they are great pumps. However, when I have a flat, the last thing I want to do is to have to remove my seat post to get to my pump.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    How do you remove the pump from the seattube when that tape turns into gluey mess in the hot sun and it becomes stuck?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kret21 View Post
    Or just use CO2 cartridges? 3 for $10 where I live.
    You can buy unthreaded 12g carts from WalMart for 25carts for the same price.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You can buy unthreaded 12g carts from WalMart for 25carts for the same price.
    Good to know

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    How do you remove the pump from the seattube when that tape turns into gluey mess in the hot sun and it becomes stuck?
    I was thinking the same thing! You think a little tire dirt makes your hands dirty, wait until you get some degraded electrical tape residue all over you! That's if you can coax it out of the seat tube!

It's a clever idea but I predict a frustrating flat repair in Chads future!
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    ill stick w/ my co2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Am I the only one who was a little afraid of where this pump was going to disappear to, especially when pics were promised?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by buster71 View Post
    Am I the only one who was a little afraid of where this pump was going to disappear to, especially when pics were promised?
    NO! lol!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree that the electrical tape is a bad idea and will wreck the clean polish of the pump. I also would hate to remove my seat post. I would spend 30 minutes making sure my seat was perfectly straight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    After reading the first line I was hoping there would be no reference to "cavity". Thank god.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would just keep it in the center jersey pocket or in a second water bottle for short rides. I don't know about you but, I don't like to mess with any fit type adjustments once I have them dialed in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Really ???
    So, do I have this right? You're stuffing it in your seat tube or seat post. So in order to access your pump on the road, you'll have to remove your saddle/seat post, do the repair, replace you saddle/seat post, and make sure your saddle is adjusted to the correct height and properly aligned (?).

If so, do yourself, and any riding partner(s) you may have, a favor, and store the pump in your jersey pocket.

(If I'm your riding partner, I'm going to hand you my CO2 pump before I wait for you to go through that dance).
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

I play for keeps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist View Post
    SPINAL TAP CUCUMBER SCENE>
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Some of you guys crack me up. You are making it sound like I have to dissasemble the whole seat assembly to get the pump out and that for some reason it takes some of you guys half and hour to set your saddle height and make sure the saddle is pointed dead straight ahead? Really you guys can't tell by looking at the post marks (or scratch marks) where your saddle height was at, or tell your seat is pointed straight ahead? Ok. Is there some kind of fancy laser device that tells you your seat is pointed straight ahead that your eyeballs can't?

I may not even bother with a follow up on this thead.

I'm aware that electrical turns into a snotty mess in heat but thanks for pointing that out to others who may want to try this. The tape was used as I had it laying around. I used it to protect the finsh just for fitting purposes and proof of concept.

Friday when I have time, the pump will either be wrapped in one layer of bar tape or not wrapped at all, since it's not neccisary to tape it anyway. I was thinking since it's hidden now, it doesn't have to be all pretty and shinny, that the bar tape would give it a better grip, as well as prevent and light scratches, if I ever decided to put it back on the frame, which I'm not anyway. The electrical tape I used to build up the diameter at each end, so that it becomes self centering inside the seatpost as well as the seat tube, will be replaced with O rings of the correct size. I will address what prevents the pump from falling into no mans land on Friday.

It takes me egh about 15 seconds to remove and remount the pump from the frame mount and about 30 seconds to slide the seatpost out and take the pump out and slide it back in. If I was getting so many flats on a ride that the extra 15 seconds mattered, I would find an different sport LOL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    You're just making it way more complicated than it needs to be. Keep it simple. Let us know after you've changed a half dozen flats on the road if you're still doing it this way.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by buster71 View Post
    Nope. I was a bit worried, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    IMO, a dumb idea overall that only solves an aesthetic problem. How bad can putting it in your jersey pcket be?

and for guys with carbon seatposts, it'll mean having to being a torque wrench all the time HAH!
    Roadie since Dec. 2000

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast