How many bikes do you HAVE and NEED vs.how many bikes you WANT?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Suffering

How many bikes do you HAVE and NEED vs.how many bikes you WANT?

Some of the folks that frequent this site have so many bikes. (You know who you are) I'm trying to rationalize how many bikes I need vs.how many I want.
    I'm wondering what other folks have and consider as a need vs. want.

I have 4 bikes thus far and believe I need all of them.

Need / Have
    Commuter / Touring bike - 1970's Falcon Olympic
    Race Bike - 2003 Allez Pro
    MTN Trail bike - 2004 Enduro

Need / Don't Have
    Winter Beater
    CX Bike - I kinda have it already. I have an old bike I was considering building into a CX bike. It could double as the winter beater depending how nice the build turns out.

Want / Have
    None

Want / Don't Have
    TT bike
    Mtn X/C race bike
    SS Hardtail

How 'bout you?

Strained coccyx etc etc
    i NEED a lot less than i HAVE, and recently i WANT even less. so i'll HAVE quite a few less once i get the pics posted on ebay.

i don't race anymore and don't ride all the time anymore and i think the kool aid has worn off.

i'm going to slim down to a steel road bike, my fixie, and one mtb.

the rest can be found at auction.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Get me to In&Out
    OK, it if this isn't the ultimate topic for TerryB to answer on, I don't know what it. He has more bikes than most local bike shop have on their floors. Lets here it Terry! What else could you possibly want?
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Suffering
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    OK, it if this isn't the ultimate topic for TerryB to answer on, I don't know what it. He has more bikes than most local bike shop have on their floors. Lets here it Terry! What else could you possibly want?
    !!LOL!! I was thinking about what TerryB's and Akirasho's answers would be like when I was putting this post together! It almost made me shoot coffee outta my nose.

TJ

n00bsauce
    Well, for starters, I don't NEED any bikes, although life would be pretty hum drum, ne DEPRESSING, without them. Assuming one needs at least one bike, then I need two, a road bike and a mountain bike. What I HAVE is another story (8 1/2, 2 road, 1 MB, 1 commuter, 1 SS, 1 fixie/SS, 1 tandem, 1 travel w/S&S and one road frame). What I WANT includes a Ti road and a hardtail MB. What I will be getting rid of is one of the road bikes (anyone want to buy a large Softride Solo?).
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

I'm not like anyone else

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
    Some of the folks that frequent this site have so many bikes. (You know who you are) I'm trying to rationalize how many bikes I need vs.how many I want.

How 'bout you?
    I sometimes ponder the same question/s... especially when I try to walk through my garage which is dominated by my bike fleet... 13 total and I'm leaving for Ft Lauderdale tomorrow to visit family and while I'm there I'm picking up two vintage Motobecanes in perfect shape... All of them work except for my SS which will as soon as I get a 20t BMX cog so I can ride in the mountains. I ride all of them regulary and the only thing that keeps me from adding even more is the space issue...

The way I see it, I can never have too many... I never know what bike mood I'll be in so I want to make sure I have all the bases covered. Of course my SO may disagree but she doesn't complain. Well, at least not often.

That's my story...

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Like J, I'm downsizing my fleet. I have 6 built bikes and 5 framesets.

I need 3.

1. My good bike- LOOK KG451
    2. Rain/winter bike- Vitus 979
    3. Fixed gear/SS- LOOK KG86

I also have my restored Hinault LOOK 753 that is hanging on a wall in my home. I don't need it but I'll never sell it.

I'm selling my LOOK KG381 on eBay this week. I'll probably sell off some framesets as well..
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have 5 older high end steel bikes--3 road bikes, a cross bike and a hardtail mtb. At some point I WANT to get into the 21st century (a more modern steel road bike, a good FS mtb), but I don't really NEED to.

On your left!

Oooh, this is not good...

Need / Have

Need / Don't Have
    Winter Beater
    CX Bike - I kinda have it already. I have an old bike I was considering building into a CX bike. It could double as the winter beater depending how nice the build turns out.

Want / Have
    None

Want / Don't Have
    TT bike
    Mtn X/C race bike
    SS Hardtail

How 'bout you?
    Need / Have
    -Best $$ ever spent on a bike.
    Tsunami 700c road set up for Tri.

-Most fun bike ever owned
    Litespeed Hawasii Mtn set up for Cross with stiff fork and road bars

-Rescued from curbside trash day
    Giant mountain set up as SS Cross, similar to LS above. Nice horizontal dropouts...

-Thift Special
    Sekai hybrid beast, on the Need list until my daughter GG gets too old to ride on the kid seat behind me. She is 4yo and calls it the Stratoliner... no idea where that came from...

-My Soul...
    -Mid 80's tt Shogun bike. For some reason I consider this bike to be the reason I love cycling so much...
    -Early 90's Gitane TT DH (dave hickey model), something about it fetches me to its saddle.

Need / Don't Have
    Motorolla Merckx...

Want / Don't Have
    Masi TT, but that's a whole different story...http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=26309

Have / Don't Need
    Geared Access mountain bike. When was the last time I rode it?

SS Fetish mtn bike. Boarderline here, If I ever do ride a mtn bike, it will only be a SS. I do like this one alot.

Early 90's Bianchi Tiwan Steel
    Love the idea of having celeste, but just no time to ride it.

Trek Y-Foil. I like it, but I'd rather ride the cheap Tsunami...
    Last edited by racerx; 04-05-2005 at 10:51 AM.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Need: One nice bike, one I'm willing to ride under terrible conditions.

Have: One Kogswell Model D, 3x9, stainless fenders, one c 1980 Austro-Daimer singlespeed, plastic fenders. They switch front wheels, so either one can have the Dynohub, as needed. Actually, they're both nice bikes, and both capable of dealing with bad conditions. The SS has a little advantage in having fewer places to accumulate road junk.

Want: One from column A, one from Column B, etc., etc. Something light, something touring, you know how it goes.
    This wheel's on fire/rollin' down the road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Have/Need: Road Bike, Mtb (Short travel XC FS), Tandem.

Have/Don't Need but Like : Commuter (Milano)

Want: Fixie, Longer Travel FS Mtb.

eminence grease
    Need / Have
    I need all of them, each one fits a specific niche. Like - I need a white bike, I need a green bike, I need an aluminum bike, I need a bike that was offered to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the builder that just happened to fall in the same year I turned 50. "I need this bike because it's so cheap on eBay and I'd be a fool to pass it up" is a good one too.

Need / Don't Have
    I don't have a HT MTB and I need one because I don't have one and that represents a gap in my technology spectrum, and frankly we simply cannot have that.

Want / Have
    What does this mean? I want the ones I have because if I didn't, I wouldn't have them. So if I don't sell any of them that I have does that mean I want them?

Want / Don't Have
    I want a bike in Colnago TM38 or NL38 because I don't have one, but I probably don't need it even if it does represent a big gap in my paint job collection. But I want one nonetheless.

Suffering
    So let me get this striaght.

All of the bikes you HAVE, you NEED.
    All of the bikes you WANT, you NEED. (Unless it is a dulpicate in you collection or technology spectrum. The again, I suppose one can argue that a backup is a NEED)

I see.... this explains the WANT / HAVE conundrum because you can't HAVE a bike that your don't WANT because all bikes are a NEED? So, does this mean that all of the bikes you don't WANT, you NEED also?

Confused.
    TJ

BTW: I'm envyous of your collection of NEEDS.

toomanybikes
    So let me get this striaght.

All of the bikes you HAVE, you NEED.
    All of the bikes you WANT, you NEED. (Unless it is a dulpicate in you collection or technology spectrum. The again, I suppose one can argue that a backup is a NEED)

I see.... this explains the WANT / HAVE conundrum because you can't HAVE a bike that your don't WANT because all bikes are a NEED? So, does this mean that all of the bikes you don't WANT, you NEED also?

Confused.
    TJ

BTW: I'm envyous of your collection of NEEDS.
    Yes - I found that perfectly reasonable.

More Cowbell!

I need a bike. My family of four has one car. My wife and kids get it. That means I have to get to work somehow. Public transport could get me to work but it would take about an hour door to door to cover the 6 miles. I could walk it but an hour and a half seems a bit long. So I bike.

I have 2 bikes. I have a b*stard Redline Conquest Pro (cross bike) that serves as my commuter (slicks and fenders) and pit bike. I also own a Merckx Alu-cross which is my cyclocross race bike. I don't really need it since I don't have to race bikes.

I want a bunch more bikes. I really want a bunch of Se7ens but then I'd have to win the lottery or something. I certainly don't need them.

I want a track bike enough that I'll probably actually get one this year. I certainly don't need it since the velodrome is 40 minutes away and it will be a one use only race bike.

All that said, I have put something on the order of 15,000 miles on that Redline over the past three years, raced it, done centuries on it, commuted on it. It's the only bike i really need. However, I've been thinking about swapping the frame out for an 853 Poprad.
    Pro rep, yo!

eminence grease
    In some ways, this is a simple diffusion problem.

At point ZERO we start with many AVAILABLE bikes that I don't HAVE but neither do I WANT. My universe is empty and unformed at this point.

At point N (ZERO+1), I decide I NEED certain bikes to fill certain VACANCIES in my universe. Those NEEDS become WANTS. As those NEEDS are fulfilled, the WANTS change priority from WANT TO ACQUIRE to WANT TO KEEP. Eventually all the NEEDS are filled and the universe achieves harmony from a NEED standpoint.

Barring ill behavior, all the formerly NEEDED bikes remain WANTED bikes. None have crossed me yet.

But, there remains the wildcard - things I don't really NEED but do WANT. These are more insidious and eat away at my resolve while I am trying to fall asleep at night. These do not represent a significant niche in my universe, but rather an interstitial place between former NEEDS. These are typically pretty paint jobs that would otherwise represent a duplication of technology.

The ones I don't want are simple - they're UGLY.
    Last edited by terry b; 04-05-2005 at 12:02 PM.

hi, I'm Larry

I'm all Set

Need / Have
    Race Bike - 2003 Giant TCR Aero Frame - mix of mostly newer parts
    Training / Rain bike - Old Steel Trek 400 with a mix of old and new parts
    Beater / Winter - Sort of old Giant Hybrid

Need / Don't Have
    None

Want / Have
    None

Want / Don't Have
    None

I've got about all that I want / need at the moment and even have all the parts on the bikes I want and need for the moment.

I might be in the market for new shoes in the next couple of months. The carbon fiber soles are starting to pull away from the uppers. I will try some epoxy, It that doesn't work I will have to be looking for deals on good super stiff shoes.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    In some ways, this is a simple diffusion problem.

At point ZERO we start with many AVAILABLE bikes that I don't HAVE but neither do I WANT. My universe is empty and unformed at this point.

At point N (ZERO+1), I decide I NEED certain bikes to fill certain VACANCIES in my universe. Those NEEDS become WANTS. As those NEEDS are fulfilled, the WANTS change priority from WANT TO ACQUIRE to WANT TO KEEP. Eventually all the NEEDS are filled and the universe achieves harmony from a NEED standpoint.

Barring ill behavior, all the formerly NEEDED bikes remain WANTED bikes. None have crossed me yet.

But, there remains the wildcard - things I don't really NEED but do WANT. These are more insidious and eat away at my resolve while I am trying to fall asleep at night. These do not represent a significant niche in my universe, but rather an interstitial place between former NEEDS. These are typically pretty paint jobs that would otherwise represent a duplication of technology.

The ones I don't want are simple - they're UGLY.
    Terry,
    I was wondering when you would get in on this thread. Your post just cracks me up...
    So, its a law of averages where the speed divided by the volume multiplied by pi equals the ratio of bicyles needed over the bicycles wanted. That plus the fact that everything else is ugly is simple math, right?
    Cheers, Wayne

toomanybikes
    I need one bike.

I have 9 bikes, all of which are my children and could not possibly be picked one or the other.

I want more bikes.

I figure I have enough parts to build two more complete bikes, but - alas - I need frames for them.

I NEED at least one - maybe two - good steel frames. Downtube shifter bosses and 1 inch headsets.

Anyone??

Non non normal

Got what I need, Need what I got

5 Bikes

Two carbon road bikes, one home, one away bike(keep at work)
    One commuter bike (Zurich with panniers)
    Fixed Gear
    MTB Hardtail

I will replace the fixed gear sometime in the future.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

eminence grease
    Think of the entrance to my driveway as the source/drain of a field effect transistor. With the right amount of postive voltage applied to the gate, I am capable of riding a bicycle off my property and out into the world (voltage = my desire to go ride.) Similar for the opposite direction. With the right amount of negative voltage bicycles are capable of flowing into my driveway from the opposite direction. Voltage in this case = my desire for some bike, headroom on my credit card and a thorough job of convincing my wife why I need to satisfy that desire. However, in order for the bicycles to flow into my property, there must be enough vacancies in the lattice for bicycles to fit into. This is where storage comes into play and at the moment, the lattice is full. No bicycles can flow in unless I create more room in the lattice by removing some or building more lattice. It's all a simple matter of solid state electronics.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    However, in order for the bicycles to flow into my property, there must be enough vacancies in the lattice for bicycles to fit into. This is where storage comes into play and at the moment, the lattice is full. No bicycles can flow in unless I create more room in the lattice by removing some or building more lattice. It's all a simple matter of solid state electronics.
    sounds a little more like a contorted version of the 2nd law of thermodynamics to me....I'll be more than happy to help you attain some lattice space

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Need / Have

Need / Don't Have
    Winter Beater

Want / Have
    None

Want / Don't Have
    TT bike
    Mtn X/C race bike
    SS Hardtail

How 'bout you?
    want:
    nice titanium main road bike
    cyclocross racing bike
    crit bike
    commuter bike
    lugged steel road bike
    cyclocross 'have fun on' bike
    time trial bike and/or triathlon bike
    long ride/century bike (see lugged steel)
    stage race bike

actually have: first 4 (Seven Alaris, Redline Conquest Pro, Giant TCR, a commuter bike built from my old CX bike).
    actually need: one road or cyclocross bike.

Mar 2005

Wants vs. Needs

Well, I have a carbon road bike and a freeride hardtail. For me my wants and needs are pretty much the same. The first on my list is a fixed gear (also do to some commuting on). Second is a cyclocross bike cause it looks like alot of fun. Third is a crosscountry full suspension bike. What is worse I guess is that I already know what I want exactly but ofcourse dont have the money. Anyone want to donate to the Pat's bike porn habit. There is a longer list but there is no point in me goin into it because that list is already $5000+ for three bike mentioned.

Suffering
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    sounds a little more like a contorted version of the 2nd law of thermodynamics to me....I'll be more than happy to help you attain some lattice space
    ....or ramblings of an excessive compulsive justifying more bikes.

Don't take this the wrong way but racerx, toomanybikes and Terryb, you guys may want to consider therapy. You guys have more bikes than most mormans have wives....(not that there is anything wrong with that btw) To have a different ride every day of the week and 2 on Saturday & 2 on Sunday is well...... envious! I'm talking bikes by the way.... (Well this may apply to the "other" type of ride too but thats not want i'm talking about here.)

I don't suppose you guys have anything to contribute to the "Ack! I've been put on a :bike allowance" thread.... hmmmm?

TJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast