How many forum members . . .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    102

    How many forum members . . .

    does it take to change a lightbulb?

    1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

    1 to move it to the Lighting section

    2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

    7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

    5 to flame the spell checkers

    3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

    ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

    3 standards zealots to point out that light bulbs have been deprecated in the LB 2.1 spec

    1 to call upon everybody to ignore this deprecation

    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

    15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

    19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

    11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

    36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

    7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

    4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

    13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

    5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

    13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    does it take to change a lightbulb?

    1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

    1 to move it to the Lighting section

    2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

    7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

    5 to flame the spell checkers

    3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

    ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

    3 standards zealots to point out that light bulbs have been deprecated in the LB 2.1 spec

    1 to call upon everybody to ignore this deprecation

    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

    15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

    19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

    11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

    36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

    7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

    4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

    13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

    5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

    13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
    Don't forget the two that don't use light bulbs because Lance does.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Just Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    539

    Has it been six months already?

    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...ange+lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    does it take to change a lightbulb?

    1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

    1 to move it to the Lighting section

    2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

    7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

    5 to flame the spell checkers

    3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

    ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

    3 standards zealots to point out that light bulbs have been deprecated in the LB 2.1 spec

    1 to call upon everybody to ignore this deprecation

    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

    15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

    19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

    11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

    36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

    7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

    4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

    13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

    5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

    13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

  4. #4
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    I only paid $1000 for my light bulbs from one of the banner ad light bulb companies on lightbulbreview.com.

    Even though I never posted on lighbulbreview.com before, I felt compelled to tell everyone what a great deal I got. Just because I happen to work for the banner ad company has nothing to do with my unbiased review of my light bulb.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Unlabeled
    Reputation: Reynolds531's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,720

    there's more

    Someone posts that lightbulbs have ruined lighting and that true joy can only be found by using candles, and only beeswax candles should be used. 5 state that parafin candles are OK if you make them yourself. 3 others insist that kerosine lamps are OK, too. Someone claims that they have a whale oil lamp and they need a supply of whale oil. 30 posters condemn whale hunting. One poster points out that whale oil is now full of PCB's and is, in fact, dangerous. Another says that the PCB's are the Republicans' fault and the thread gets moved to PO, where the thread really goes to Hades.
    Lugged Steel Treks

  6. #6
    Bacon!
    Reputation: Ridgetop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9,190

    Don't forget the posting of pics of their bulbs

    Mine is prettier than yours. . .blah . . .blah. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: merckx56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    You forgot the folks who have never changed a light bulb and have zero practical knowledge of light bulbs, but seem to know the best way to do it...

    Oh yeah, and those who explain the method for changing a light bulb is such a complicated manner that it sounds almost as advantageous to move out of your house...
    Pretty much here just to piss you off...

  8. #8
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    Mine is prettier than yours. . .blah . . .blah. . .
    The bottom bulb was obviously built by some Italian who charges 3 times the price of the asian bulbs in the first picture.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I only paid $1000 for my light bulbs from one of the banner ad light bulb companies on lightbulbreview.com.

    Even though I never posted on lighbulbreview.com before, I felt compelled to tell everyone what a great deal I got. Just because I happen to work for the banner ad company has nothing to do with my unbiased review of my light bulb.....
    And even though I just ordered my custom lightbulb, and it will be months before it arrives, I'm going to post a resoundingly positive review in the review section, generously cutting and pasting propoganda directly from the light bulb manufacturers website.
    Then, before it arrives, I'll see a lightbulb from another manufacturer claiming to be five watts more powerful, and I'll second guess my original decision, starting a thread asking for people to reply with their negative experiences with the lightbulb I special ordered.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    102
    i was bad and didnt use search feature to see if someone had already shared this.
    But your guys responses had me cracking up, sadly cause its so true.

  11. #11
    Bacon!
    Reputation: Ridgetop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9,190
    Except that because it is Italian it has to be better built because they aren't a "third world country".
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

  12. #12
    1/10th as pissed off...
    Reputation: spu2261's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    321

    Need help!

    I'm a long time candle user switching over to lightbulbs. I need to know which type of lightbulb is best: Incandescent, Fluorescent, or Halogen. What are the pros and cons of each? Thanx in advance...
    With all due respect to Nietzsche, that which does not kill us makes us wish we were dead...

  13. #13
    jaded bitter joy crusher
    Reputation: Fredke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    19,723

    Should I change my lightbulb?

    I'm confused. If I don't change my lightbulb, I'll look like a Fred, but if I do change the lightbulb the other people on group rides might think I'm a poseur. What should I do?

    Please answer quickly because it's hard to eat pie in the dark.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    75

    I get sick and tired . . .

    of posts wondering which type of lightbulb is better. The performance of a light bulb is almost completely determined by the skill of the lightbulb designer. Pick up about 80 different light bulbs and try out each one for at least two days. Only then will you know which one is right for you. But first, see if you can afford have one specially crafted for you. You will be the light bulb envy of your whole neighborhood! Even your LES (Local Electrician Service) will be jealous. And remember to pay particular attention to the geometry of the light bulb. If it is not the perfect shape for you, then you will end up hating light bulbs and anything that produces light in general, all the lights in your house will be blacked out, and the sun will never rise again . . and you will be left in the dark . . . forever.

    Quote Originally Posted by spu2261
    I'm a long time candle user switching over to lightbulbs. I need to know which type of lightbulb is best: Incandescent, Fluorescent, or Halogen. What are the pros and cons of each? Thanx in advance...

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    511
    None. Nothing is wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are a delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect. Why do you hate freedom?

  16. #16
    Life Coach
    Reputation: Val_Garou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,523

    Is it okay?

    Hey guys,

    I just wanted to know if it was ok for me to do all of my lightbulb shopping on the internet now?

    I used to use my LLBS, but the last time I was in there, the guy wouldn't give me little tube of dielectric grease for free, even though I special ordered a really high-end lightbulb through them two years ago.

    And besides, they only carry one brand of lightbulb, and usually only stock it in 50W and 75W sizes. Also, all of their lightbulb accessories--switches, lampshades, lenses--are SO MUCH MORE expensive than the places I've looked online.

    Anyone here trade in their LLBS for performancebulb.com, superbright.com, or the like?

  17. #17
    "El Bwana"
    Reputation: PDex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,399

    And 15 to say

    And 15 to say "A lightbulb? Why do you want a lightbulb? They use too much natural resources, their too prone to rolling off the table. If you are really a cyclist, you need to get a Hybrid lightbulb. No body really needs a lightbulb. Why, I live where there is darkness almost 50% of the time and I've never been stuck. A lightbulb? Are you nuts? Why I was riding down the road and this soccer mom talking on her cell phone was carrying lightbulbs and she almost dropped a bunch right in my way. So I made like Erik Zabel and caught up to her at the next light. I pounded on her lightbulb........
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

  18. #18
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_Garou
    Anyone here trade in their LLBS for performancebulb.com, superbright.com, or the like?
    I checked performancebulb.com and superbright.com but I got the best deal at bulbsdirect.com.

    The bulb I bought is called a moto'lite. Even though it's named after a famous old french bulb manufacturer, it has nothing to do with the original company. But that's not important because I only paid $1099 for the light. From what I've read, it's built in the same plant a specialite, fuji-lite, and treklite so it must be good....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    341
    What about FIT? How do I know if the bulbs fits the socket? Should I just go with what feels good to me or should I take it to my LLBS for a proper fitting? What if the bulb isn't level? Can I get some fashion of bulb leveling device?

    Are there any online fit calculators for the bulbs that can help to ensure that I recieve the proper size? Are these worthwhile, like BulbScience.com, how accurate are they?
    Last edited by CycleBatten; 07-01-2005 at 03:39 PM.
    Just looking for a place to shed our skins- WSP

  20. #20
    Life Coach
    Reputation: Val_Garou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey

    The bulb I bought is called a moto'lite. Even though it's named after a famous old french bulb manufacturer, it has nothing to do with the original company. But that's not important because I only paid $1099 for the light. From what I've read, it's built in the same plant a specialite, fuji-lite, and treklite so it must be good....
    Well, maybe, but that's only because they've bought a bunch of last year's fillaments and are using those. The coil pattern is different than the '05s you know. But I think the essential engineering is the same.

    Are there any engineers who can say, "Well, I actually AM an engineer, and in my opinion it's the same" hanging around these forums?

  21. #21
    Government Mule
    Reputation: stevee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,326
    I've heard the best bulbs are from Holland.
    I'll give you my Vincent to ride...

  22. #22
    my legs hurt
    Reputation: beantownbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,012

    sylvania vs.GE. vs. ???

    So im in the market for a new racing lightulb for mostly crits and maybe some longer road races. can someone post of a pic of the new sylvania panitjobs?
    also: flourescent or regular?

    typical roadbikereview response a question:
    forum question: should I choose lightbulb A or lightbulb B?
    forum member answer: Lightbulb Z!! look at this picture of Lightbulb Z leaning against a couch.
    I THINK PERHAPS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. PEOPLE'S WHOLE LIVES DO PASS IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DIE. THE PROCESS IS CALLED "LIVING."

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,026

    filaments

    Carbon , titanium, steel or ?

    Which is better?

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    298
    Does the lightbulb run smoother on gas-powered, nuclear-powered or sun-powered electricity?

  25. #25
    WA outdoor enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,592

    I need a lampshade...

    that will look good with my lightbulb. Recommendations?
    I'm a lightbulb newbie, will neon or reflective lampshades make me a light-Fred?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. le podium girl forum is here...
    By francois in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:08 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 07:53 AM
  3. Please post in the correct forum - Must Read!!
    By francois in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 07:57 PM
  4. Reflections on the new forum.
    By Len J in forum SiteFeedback/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.