How much mileage is "high" mileage?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

How much mileage is "high" mileage?

I am looking at purchasing a 2000 Cannondale R1000. The bike has 5,000 miles. I don't ride very much, so that seems like a lot of miles. Is it? How does the mileage effect the frame? The rear hub has been re-built.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

John

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justice29
    I am looking at purchasing a 2000 Cannondale R1000. The bike has 5,000 miles. I don't ride very much, so that seems like a lot of miles. Is it? How does the mileage effect the frame? The rear hub has been re-built.
    I still have my first good bike, a (real, pre-Trek) Klein, that has more than 50k miles on it. Still rides fine and the paint looks new. Unless the frame has been seriously crashed, 5k is nothing. Inspect the frame well though. Look for anything that would indicate cracking around the welds.

pain in the butt

5000 miles is not much for the frame...

you may need to replace a chain or a cassette, or brake pads..
    but that's how long it take to become "one with the bike"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

I know "high mileage" when I see it

1200 miles per season is NOT high mileage. I have a bike that is two years older than this, and it has 60K miles on it. Most would consider that high mileage. In 5K miles with good components, it is possible that nothing on this bike has worn out other than tires. The most that would be worn would be chain and cassette (plus tires). It's likely time to overhaul the hubs, clean and lube the brakes. BB, headset, cables, and derailleurs, but that's it. I would not consider this a cream puff, but it's pretty close.

hi, I'm Larry

Depends on how the miles were put on

If some of the miles were on wet sandy roads, the sand can wear out the drive train real fast. Look at the chainrings. There will be some wear but if they have a sharks tooth look to them, they will need to be replaced. Remove the chain and spin the cranks should spin smoothly. Turn them over by hand and it should feel smooth. Remove the chain and measure it. On a new chain the pins will line up perfectly at the one foot mark. If they line up at 12 1/8" or more then the chain needs replace. If it is a lot more than 1/8" then the cassette probably needs replaced. Ask the seller if the chain has ever been replaced. It the answer is no and there is no more than a 1/16" stretch in the chain, I would assume the drivetrain is in great shape.

Remove the wheels and spin the wheel while holding the hubs. It should feel very smooth, if there is any roughness at all, assume the worse (the hub needs to be replaced).

I ride on wet sandy roads at time, I clean the drive train up after, but it takes it's toll. I find I need to replace the drive train about once a year (7-8K miles)

Quote Originally Posted by justice29

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

John