How strong are the hoods?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    363

    How strong are the hoods?

    Iíve been riding for years and have never had an issue. Nor have I ever heard of an issue. But the thought is always there...

    Exactly how strong is the mounting mechanism for the hoods? Itís a semi-flexible thin strip of metal looped around the handlebar, maintained in place by mere friction that is created and held by a single screw. The hoods take a lot of force, but the components that hold them in place are small... and if any aspect fails - eg the metal strip, the friction, or the screw - you are in real trouble.

    How much force can the hoods take before one of these small parts fails? How much can one crank on them in sprints or climbs?
    Last edited by Waspinator; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:46 AM.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,869
    The only failures I have were from either crashes or people trying to move them by pushing on the sides without loosening them and those failures were the shifter composite material not the clamping parts.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

    "The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,201
    The clamping mechanism is plenty strong for the stresses of cycling, even for gorilla sprinting. However, the clamps can be a collection point for sweat and the clamp and bolt are subject to corrosion, so I would recommend examining yearly. Easy enough to do when you re-tape your bars, which for me is an annual event.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,211
    Yield strenght of steel is about 50000p/sq inch. do a calculation.
    I think you can have at it, give it all you got, your going to break before it!
    LET IT GO, Go For It, Hammer Time!
    BANNED

  5. #5
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,172
    More than strong enough. Been this way for oh I don't know... 100 years? I've never heard of one breaking. Have you?

    How much can one crank on them in sprints or climbs?
    Tens of thousands of Pro riders have put more stress on them then you ever will.
    Don't worry about it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  6. #6
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,595
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    More than strong enough. Been this way for oh I don't know... 100 years? I've never heard of one breaking. Have you?

    Tens of thousands of Pro riders have put more stress on them then you ever will.
    Don't worry about it.
    Well...yes and no.

    ProTour cyclists are featherweights...even the 'heaviest' ProTour cyclist is still lighter than your average American. Most of these ProTour bike-setups have rider-weight limits on the components that an average American would surpass; titanium pedal spindles are limited to 180lbs many uber-light carbon rims have similar restrictions to name a few.

    That being said...the worry of the OP of the brifters slipping should be nonexistent if they're appropriately torqued and/or have carbon paste applied. IIRC Shimano specs 10Nm thereabouts?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  7. #7
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Well...yes and no.

    ProTour cyclists are featherweights...even the 'heaviest' ProTour cyclist is still lighter than your average American. Most of these ProTour bike-setups have rider-weight limits on the components that an average American would surpass; titanium pedal spindles are limited to 180lbs many uber-light carbon rims have similar restrictions to name a few.
    Stress on the hoods isn't merely about the weight of a rider. Rider weight is insignificant. Even if you put half your body weight on the hoods, it's a pittance.
    Torque on the handlebars is what's going to create the highest stresses. And a Pro putting out 1000 watts sprinting up a 15% grade is going to put massive amounts of torque on them.

    I'm confident the OP will not exceed that.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Iíve been riding for years and have never had an issue. Nor have I ever heard of an issue. But the thought is always there...

    Exactly how strong is the mounting mechanism for the hoods? Itís a semi-flexible thin strip of metal looped around the handlebar, maintained in place by mere friction that is created and held by a single screw. The hoods take a lot of force, but the components that hold them in place are small... and if any aspect fails - eg the metal strip, the friction, or the screw - you are in real trouble.

    How much force can the hoods take before one of these small parts fails? How much can one crank on them in sprints or climbs?
    Do you really think someone has conducted a test and can give you an exact figure? Shimano, Sram and Campy probably have. The average Joe on the net, I doubt it.

    My guess is it's a moot point because the bars would go first.

  9. #9
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,595
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Stress on the hoods isn't merely about the weight of a rider. Rider weight is insignificant. Even if you put half your body weight on the hoods, it's a pittance.
    Torque on the handlebars is what's going to create the highest stresses. And a Pro putting out 1000 watts sprinting up a 15% grade is going to put massive amounts of torque on them.

    I'm confident the OP will not exceed that.
    Aren't you in engineering? Or am I remembering wrong? Thought we had a few on the board.

    The worst case stress are probably(?) two different things for ProTour and amateurs...For ProTour riders riding on the most perfect roads in the entire world--it is almost certainly sprints....for Real World riding by average riders where 50% of their body weight on the bars can be 100% of the entire body weight of a ProTour rider---it is Real World roads with potholes and railroad crossings.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  10. #10
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Aren't you in engineering?
    Yea

    The worst case stress are probably(?) two different things for ProTour and amateurs...For ProTour riders riding on the most perfect roads in the entire world--it is almost certainly sprints....for Real World riding by average riders where 50% of their body weight on the bars can be 100% of the entire body weight of a ProTour rider---it is Real World roads with potholes and railroad crossings.
    Perfect roads for pro riders is irrelevant. I'm talking about the torque on the handlebars. Force x Distance. Even for a 150# pro, that's a LOT of stress.

    For regular riders, I agree, potholes/tracks are going to create the most stresses. And of course... millions of riders have hit them and not broke their hoods.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Aren't you in engineering? Or am I remembering wrong? Thought we had a few on the board.

    The worst case stress are probably(?) two different things for ProTour and amateurs...For ProTour riders riding on the most perfect roads in the entire world--it is almost certainly sprints....for Real World riding by average riders where 50% of their body weight on the bars can be 100% of the entire body weight of a ProTour rider---it is Real World roads with potholes and railroad crossings.
    I don't know who puts more stress on shifters but I know this amateur (me) isn't creating what it looks to be on cobbles at top speed with relatively small tires.

    The same shifters are used by pro cross riders.

    Definitely not the case that pro cyclist are only using shifters on perfect roads.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Iíve been riding for years and have never had an issue. Nor have I ever heard of an issue. But the thought is always there...

    Exactly how strong is the mounting mechanism for the hoods? Itís a semi-flexible thin strip of metal looped around the handlebar, maintained in place by mere friction that is created and held by a single screw. The hoods take a lot of force, but the components that hold them in place are small... and if any aspect fails - eg the metal strip, the friction, or the screw - you are in real trouble.

    How much force can the hoods take before one of these small parts fails? How much can one crank on them in sprints or climbs?
    I have never heard of someone breaking the shifter mount. I cannot recall a post here at RBR where someone broke one. Plenty of busted handlebars, but not the hoods. (other than a crash)

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    More than strong enough. Been this way for oh I don't know... 100 years? I've never heard of one breaking. Have you?

    Tens of thousands of Pro riders have put more stress on them then you ever will.
    Don't worry about it.

    Except you forgot to mention that pro riders have arms like school girls.

    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...n-video-356762

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I have never heard of someone breaking the shifter mount. I cannot recall a post here at RBR where someone broke one. Plenty of busted handlebars, but not the hoods. (other than a crash)
    Ditto. There's a reason the lever band clamp and the bolt are steel. In over 40 years I've never heard nor seen one break.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,423
    I'm thinkin' that the OP, Waspinator, ran out of things to worry about.
    Too old to ride plastic

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Iíve been riding for years and have never had an issue. Nor have I ever heard of an issue. But the thought is always there...

    Exactly how strong is the mounting mechanism for the hoods?
    How much can one crank on them in sprints or climbs?
    I think it's a good question. I ( almost ) share the same concerns.

    I don't have weight on my hoods as my fit does not promote nor encourage that.

    Rather my weight , if forward weight is needed is more directed to the drops. Never the hoods, and that includes climbing.

    Thats called fit.

    But that steal cinch band that holds the shifters in place on carbon bars is a reasonable concern.
    Maybe a know all sandboxer can give a torque recommendation Huh??

    BTW I see no forward weight on the hoods in the sprint pics posted in this thread.
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:06 PM.

  17. #17
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,533
    I've seen shifters move on the bars in minor incidents and there will be cosmetic scrapes for sure, but I've never seen one break this way. Correct clamping force will allow the shifter to be pushed in on the bar rather than anything break.

    Seriously, if you are pondering this, you really have too much spare time and need to ride your bike more.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  18. #18
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Seriously, if you are pondering this, you really have too much spare time and need to ride your bike more.
    I'm at work so I can't ride my bike.... but I had some time to spare.

    I ran some numbers.
    Applying 1000 lbf on the shiftier creates stresses in the clamp ~15,000 psi. I don't know what material they're using. But Shimano says their band is Plated Steel for Ultegra & Titanium for Dura Ace. Even the most generic steel has a yield of 30,000psi.
    I'd estimate the clamp could easily withstand 2000 lbf on the shifter. Lots of other bad stuff would be going on if you put that much force on it. I'm sure the bars would bend/crack first. (now I gotta find a 3D model of come bars)


    ShifterClamp.JPG
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  19. #19
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,533
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'm at work so I can't ride my bike.... but I had some time to spare.

    I ran some numbers.
    Applying 1000 lbf on the shiftier creates stresses in the clamp ~15,000 psi. I don't know what material they're using. But Shimano says their band is Plated Steel for Ultegra & Titanium for Dura Ace. Even the most generic steel has a yield of 30,000psi.
    I'd estimate the clamp could easily withstand 2000 lbf on the shifter. Lots of other bad stuff would be going on if you put that much force on it. I'm sure the bars would bend/crack first. (now I gotta find a 3D model of come bars)


    Spoken like a true engineer.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  20. #20
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,172
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'm sure the bars would bend/crack first. (now I gotta find a 3D model of come bars)
    Uh huh
    It's impossible to generate enough force to break the shifter clamp. You'd bend/break the handlebar at the stem waaaaay before that ever happened.



    Waspinator better start a new thread... How strong are the bars?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  21. #21
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,533
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post

    Waspinator better start a new thread... How strong are the bars?
    What can I say? Dr. Waspy strikes again. Isn't he the guy who ranted that thru axles were horrible and that quick releases were so much better? I vaguely remember a few other crack pot theories from him.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Waspinator better start a new thread... How strong are the bars?
    Shouldn't the question be, "How sweaty are you?"? https://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...on-273239.html

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,211
    I am seriously worried about my crank arms shearing off!
    That can throw you over the bars, which could be a bad thing.
    BANNED

  24. #24
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,172
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I am seriously worried about my crank arms shearing off!
    That can throw you over the bars, which could be a bad thing.
    Worse..... It can slam your crotch into your top tube

  25. #25
    I love to climb!
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I am seriously worried about my crank arms shearing off!
    That can throw you over the bars, which could be a bad thing.
    See, now I've actually seen people post pictures of that happening. I've never seen a broken hood clamp or anyone ever post a pic of one.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Perpetual Gummy/ Grimy 105 shifter hoods/ Replacement hoods
    By tjanson in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 08:45 AM
  2. Hands on the hoods
    By pugdog1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 10:19 AM
  3. Big 'Hoods, Little Hands
    By Beantown in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 12:01 PM
  4. Hoods or Drops????
    By CaliforniaDreaming in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 06:01 AM
  5. Hand pain while in hoods....any suggestions to make it stop?
    By GirchyGirchy in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.