HRM Receiver - Water or Eletrolyte Gel
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 1970

HRM Receiver - Water or Eletrolyte Gel

What's everyone using to wet the strap of their receiver. I wet mine generously with tap water, only to find out that it has stopped receiving somewhere along my ride. Other times it does just fine. Does electrolyte gel or anyother substance significantly improve the contact...

Censored by *********
    At the risk of grossing some people out, I just lick the electrodes before I put the strap on. Hasn't failed me yet.

Mmm. Salty.

Paul
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

RoadBikeReview Member

How about sweat?

My body produces a naturally saline solution that seems to work for me. Maybe you need a new battery in your transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by t-moore
    What's everyone using to wet the strap of their receiver. I wet mine generously with tap water, only to find out that it has stopped receiving somewhere along my ride. Other times it does just fine. Does electrolyte gel or anyother substance significantly improve the contact...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 1970

Thanks

I haven't tried the spit route, but it sure won't hurt to try it.

Mar 2004
    Spit has always worked the best for me.

Get me to In&Out
    Spit here too. Works great. Do you have a lot of chest hair? That could be the problem.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Dec 2002
    spit or KY jelly.

Feb 2004
    water always works just fine for me.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Eddy 53:11
    I lick mine before I put it on too!!!
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Feb 2004

You don't need anything...

I don't use anything and it works fine - and even so it is only a matter of minutes before your sweat works as well.

May 2002
    In the winter I wet the electrodes with some spit on my thumb to get it going. When the weather is hotter my sweat takes care of it almost without lag.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Summer/Winter

Quote Originally Posted by undertrained
    spit or KY jelly.
    Same here. Spit in the summer, KY in the winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn Bait
    I don't use anything and it works fine - and even so it is only a matter of minutes before your sweat works as well.

I agree- I've never used anything and never had a problem...

Nov 2002
    that was going to be my post almost exactly. the first time i thought...gross. but then i thought about what my body would be like after about 20 minutes on the bike and thought...gross. who cares if you start out a little grosser, you'll end up gross either way!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    Same here. Spit in the summer, KY in the winter.

I third that.I have alot of hair. KY works fine.

This just doesn't sound right!

Oct 2003
    I was thinking about getting a HRM and had perhaps na´vely assumed that you'd get some kind of gel with the unit when you bought it.

As for having to get your chest waxed to ensure a good contact, and then hocking a loogie on yourself to ensure consistent readings - it all seems a bit much
    "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like" - Queen

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle_Sore
    I was thinking about getting a HRM and had perhaps na´vely assumed that you'd get some kind of gel with the unit when you bought it.

As for having to get your chest waxed to ensure a good contact, and then hocking a loogie on yourself to ensure consistent readings - it all seems a bit much
    I've never needed any more than tap water. I use Polar so that might be the difference. Some other brands I've tried seem to have weak transmitters.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 2004

spit or astro-glide

Quote Originally Posted by undertrained
    spit or KY jelly.
    whichever is handier.

rt
    when i rule the world, things will be different

al0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Anythig wiil not be helpful if you put it on receiver. Anithing will be helpful ifyou put it on transmitter. Myself I prefer sweat.