Huge thighs, tiny waist.

Jun 2004

Huge thighs, tiny waist.

Can anyone give me a lead to a manufacturer that makes bicycle shorts with larger leg openings? I've got a 29 inch waist and very large quads. Most bike shorts seem to be made to fit Roberto Heras' size thighs! Any help would be appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddgatesh
    Can anyone give me a lead to a manufacturer that makes bicycle shorts with larger leg openings? I've got a 29 inch waist and very large quads. Most bike shorts seem to be made to fit Roberto Heras' size thighs! Any help would be appreciated.
    Madam,
    Catwoman managed to solve her problem nicely, and I must say -stay very nicely aero. Perhaps a costume shop could help you through your dilemma.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2004

For me

I've got the Castelli YPro Bibshorts and it's silicone leg grippers are much less constricting than the elastic ones that I used to have on these older Sugois.

A big difference in comfort, check it out.

If you have any suggestions on boxers, that's what I need help with. All the leg openings are too small. Went to microfiber but still. Constricting.

Trying the Brooks liner type shorts. Look like compression shorts, but not compressing. Hey at least they don't strangle my thighs or ride up (urrrr).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    I recently purchased a pair of Assos F1.13 S2s. I'd been eyeing them for a bit, but they are oh so pricey. Anyway, I broke down and bought a pair, and I have to say, those shorts are fantastic. I actually think spending that kind of money on shorts makes more sense than a carbon fiber crank or seatpost or something. Only the best for my tushie. Unfortunately I am not completely spoiled, and have to start saving for another pair. Anyway, the leg grippers on the ends of the shorts are less restrictive then other brands. And the lycra in general seems more flexible as well.

I think you might also have some luck with Castelli. I exclusively buy Castelli jerseys because they have larger arm openings then other brands, not sure if this extends to their shorts, but my one pair of Castellis is pretty good, although not quite as unrestrictive as the Assos.

For what it is worth, I have a similar size waist, not sure if my thighs are as big as yours, but they are on the above average size for my waist. I have more problems with jerseys and my arms in general, so i guess I don't notice my legs so much.

-Spyky

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Do you really think so? I think they run short in the legs, which makes them tighter than other brands, since my thighs taper toward the knees.
    Last edited by filtersweep; 06-16-2004 at 03:12 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got tree-trunkish legs for a 30" waist and find medium Voler bibs to be just the ticket. And they're on sale for $45 right now through velowear.com if you sign up for their e-mail list.

Nat
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You could always wear these (and only these) shorts, but you might have to get used to riding solo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2004

I dunno

Compared to my old shorts they are miles ahead, so perhaps I was just sharing my revelation.

Which one's do you like?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flash
    Compared to my old shorts they are miles ahead, so perhaps I was just sharing my revelation.

Which one's do you like?
    No one would ever accuse me of having huge thighs ;)

Castellis seem to run a bit smallish, in my opinion (even for euro sizing).

My point is that since the legs are cut shorter, it affects the thighs. I have riding friend who is quite short, and they fit him like full-cut bib legs- hence are roomier in the thighs.

hi, I'm Larry

Stay away from Canari

I just got a couple of new pair of these and have the same problem. I got the mediums which are fine in the waist, but they are too tight in the thighs. I'm hoping they stretch out with time.

Oct 2002

Boure will custom make shorts

www.boure.com (I'm not in any way affiliated....)

I assume you don't use bibs?

Jun 2003

jan

just give Jan a call and ask him what he wears. nm.