Humbled and humiliated.
    the_rydster

Humbled and humiliated.

Got dropped last weekend on a group ride. Not a particularly fast group either, plenty of 40 and 50 somethings but they do regular long and hardish weekend rides.....not a slow group by any means.

Anyway after about 50k we merged with a small group of fast looking riders, and they put the hammer down on this stretch of good road round the river here in Perth. This 50 k/hr pace was way too much for me....right past LT straight away almost. I held on for a few K then gave it up feeling so unfit it was ridiculous.......met everyone at the Cafe 20k away later.

I'd had a whole month off, rode for 10 days, then 10 days off then this ride. Felt bad too after a bad nights sleep...just got off the rig. Its funny because after that month off I did a group ride in the hills and could live with the best of them no problem on the climbs....but this fast pace on the flat was too much.

I need to rebuilt I have decided. All this being offshore means I have no base I think. I rode on my own at the weekend, so I can pace myself. 107k on Sunday @ 29 k/hr and it was windy as hell....I need more moderate rides like this to get fit again.

Doing my last 9 days offshore now, then normal job and I can get some regular k's in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    50km/hr = 31mph? that's pro peleton speed. unless you are going downhill, or are a serious Cat 1, I wouldn't worry about it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I doubt they were averaging 31 mph for any distance. But the point is that there is a big difference between a steady 20 mph and hitting and holding high speeds. Your body will do what you've trained it to do. It also depends upon how big the group was and whether you can high from the wind in a big draft and not have to put out a lot of watts. Bottom line is that to be able to ride "fast" in a group you have to do it regularly. I live in rolling hills and ride with out a group. Once a week, if I can, I drive 40 miles to ride with a group fast on flat roads to get speed work that I can't get by myself riding up and down hills. Motor pacing behind a scooter will duplicate the effort in a fast pack.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I have rebuke your thread title. Based on your account, the experience was very humbling. However considering the proactive approach including new motivation to get better in the saddle, I would say you were not humiliated. Regardless, I am glad the outcome is positive and you have found new energy.

If it matters any, I would have been dropped too

the_rydster
    Quote Originally Posted by ahumblecycler
    I have rebuke your thread title. Based on your account, the experience was very humbling. However considering the proactive approach including new motivation to get better in the saddle, I would say you were not humiliated. Regardless, I am glad the outcome is positive and you have found new energy.

If it matters any, I would have been dropped too
    Yeah you are right.

Burning Fists of Love

beware

You have acquired knowkledge, now use that knowledge.

Senior rides as some folks call them are ridden by seniors. Now for the gold, what do retired seniors do when they just so happen to be cycling enthusiasts? ANSWER: THEY RIDE ALL OF THE TIME.

So, that late 40's early 50's guy or gal, MIGHT be doing 300 mile weeks and be in rather great shape. This is a source of alot of amusement in PA and the DC area. Folks, do NOT let the gray hair fool you.....
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Right ttug. some have been racing 20-40 years and are/were Cat 1-2s who got older-tends to happen if you don't die first.
    OP, everyone gets dropped sometimes. If you ride with riders more fit than you, you will get fit faster (but not toooooooo much more fit than you). This also means you'll get dropped some or a lot. Just keep hanging longer.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    Senior rides as some folks call them are ridden by seniors. Now for the gold, what do retired seniors do when they just so happen to be cycling enthusiasts? ANSWER: THEY RIDE ALL OF THE TIME.
    No sh!t man, I am so looking forward to retiring for that very reason!

So, that late 40's early 50's guy or gal, MIGHT be doing 300 mile weeks and be in rather great shape. This is a source of alot of amusement in PA and the DC area. Folks, do NOT let the gray hair fool you.....
    ...well, except there's no way I'll be able to retire by my late 40's/early 50's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I think you're a wuss for letting a bunch of geri's drop you. Maybe it's time to look into other sports like shuffleboard?

Alien Musician
    It's those special low rolling resistance tires the geriatric set have access to.

You need an ID to prove you are above a certain age to get them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Not much gray yet.

+1

TT
    It is said that it will take the moose 10,000 years to learn that the automobile is dangerous. By then the automobile will be extinct.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Them old folks tick me off too.

Why don't they just stay home and play canasta like the Mrs and I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Why don't they just stay home and play canasta like the Mrs and I do?
    No kidding dude. Now if the other half and I can just challenge you to a bridge duel...

And for my next trick, she'll teach me to play bridge.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross
    No sh!t man, I am so looking forward to retiring for that very reason!

...well, except there's no way I'll be able to retire by my late 40's/early 50's.
    I retired at 47. You have to have a plan and discipine. And then you can try to keep your miles under 10,000 per year. That means you have to keep your 300 mile weeks down to a minimum. I keep trying.

TT
    It is said that it will take the moose 10,000 years to learn that the automobile is dangerous. By then the automobile will be extinct.