Hybrid to Road.

Thread: Hybrid to Road.

RoadBikeReview Member

Hybrid to Road.

Greetings,

I have an inquiry, can a Hybrid bike converted into Road bike? I have a Giant Escape R3 2013 and I love it, however I'm curious if i can convert into Road bike. [COLOR=#F3933B !important]Change[/COLOR] into dropbar, STI, Saddle, wrap and thats it. I mainly used the bike for work-home v.v. (8-10kms a day) and sometimes for errands and thats about it. However my neighbor who has a Road bike mainly used for work-home v.v. and weekend long rides for about 50kms and he's persistent on asking me to go with him to his weekend routine since he's [COLOR=#F3933B !important]alone[/COLOR]. I'm willing to go however seems the current set up of my bike is not [COLOR=#F3933B !important]appropriate[/COLOR] for the weekend ride with road bike.

Is it worth it?
    Is there any damage that my bike will suffer in the future?

Thank you for any insights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    I have the exact same bike. I switched the tires to 28mm slicks and it's pretty much as fast as a road bike, albeit a bit heavier and less stiff. For comparison, I used to own a Cannondale synapse ultegra full carbon. My average speed is only 2kph less.

I've done plenty of 50km rides averaging over 25 kph with it. Even did a triathlon and averaged 32 kph for 40km. No drop bars or anything, just 28 mm slicks.

Don't waste money trying to convert it to a road bike, you'll need to replace too much stuff. I suggest you try with faster tires. If you do some longer rides and really like it, I'd then invest in a true road bike.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for this, was thinking the same thing actually. But i guess my curiosity is ahead of, was thinking of buying a road bike instead for weekend ride instead of losing a very good Hybrid bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RasPutin View Post
    losing a very good Hybrid bike.
    yeah especially if you are using a bike to run errands I wouldn't want to lose the hybrid. Especially to get a half arsed road bike out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Keep your hybrid and use it for it's current purpose and shop around for a good deal on a road bike for those longer faster rides with friends and neighbors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post

Don't waste money trying to convert it to a road bike, you'll need to replace too much stuff. I suggest you try with faster tires. If you do some longer rides and really like it, I'd then invest in a true road bike.
    The above is I think is completely accurate and the most important factor on whether to convert.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yap, I'm now saving for a Road bike in the future.
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RasPutin View Post
    Thanks for this, was thinking the same thing actually. But i guess my curiosity is ahead of, was thinking of buying a road bike instead for weekend ride instead of losing a very good Hybrid bike.
    If you do decide to put slimmer tires on it, I'd suggest you change the rim tape. The stock one was terrible and I'm not sure it would hold well with more pressure.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk