I am giving up on the garmin hrm chest strap and going optical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

I am giving up on the garmin hrm chest strap and going optical

So i just bought an optical hrm on amazon today. I had issues with second hrm strap from garmin. Last night i was on my trainer and my hr was flat at 118 for a long time and based on wattage i was putting out i thought is should of been higher.

this is the optical hrm i bought:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00

This was the session at the 56 minute mark it started dropping for no reason.
    Activity | TrainingPeaks

apn
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I've read some good reviews about the Scosche, but I wouldn't like the forearm mount. Hope the strap is long enough for bicep, but then it might interfere with jersey fit.

Did you try the Polar strap + Garmin HRM option?

I've found that my Garmin HRM and *cough* premium strap behaves better since I replaced the battery and started showering with the strap after every ride/workout.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Welcome to the club.

The Garmin HRM "premium" strap is crap. It never found me as anything other than clinically dead even fresh out of the box and with wetted electrodes and a new battery. These days instead of using the Garmin sender unit with a Polar strap there are LOTS of ANT+ and BT-Smart HRM straps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been using the Scosche for about a month or so and really like it. It doesn't have to be tight on the forearm at all to work and I hardly know it's there. My Garmin picks it up immediately and so far it's been great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had some issues with mine after I changed the battery. It would go nuts when it got wet. Fixed with duct tape, which also allows me to see it if I set it down because it can be invisible soemtimes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I have had the Garmin with premium strap that worked like crap and also tried the garmin with the Polar strap that was a little better. Could not get more than a couple months with out having problems. Ended up buying an older style Garmin. Sensor incorporated into a 10" long plastic piece. Going on a year now without a problem. Still available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Heart-R...rds=Garmin+HRM

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    And I thought I was the only one with junky "premium" HR straps. A year ago I bought two of the premium straps cause I got a sweet deal, neither one of them work. I went to HR moniter.com and bought a generic strap much like the older Garmin strap my wife uses, (3 + years) the generic strap has been working like a charm (was half the price of the Garmin). We'll see how long it lasts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Best thing I did was get a Wahoo Tickr HR monitor / strap for Christmas. No more ridiculously high spikes I got every 3rd or 4th ride that I was getting with my Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DKiwi View Post
    Best thing I did was get a Wahoo Tickr HR monitor / strap for Christmas. No more ridiculously high spikes I got every 3rd or 4th ride that I was getting with my Garmin.
    +1. I just ditched my Garmin premium HR monitor/strap for a Wahoo Tickr. Very pleased. Should have done it sooner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by apn View Post
    I've read some good reviews about the Scosche, but I wouldn't like the forearm mount. Hope the strap is long enough for bicep, but then it might interfere with jersey fit.

Did you try the Polar strap + Garmin HRM option?

I've found that my Garmin HRM and *cough* premium strap behaves better since I replaced the battery and started showering with the strap after every ride/workout.
    I tried that with inconsistent results.

My suggestion is to just get the Whaoo Tickr for $59 MSRP (less if you look) and be done with it. It does BT and ANT. So, you can use whatever recording device you have with you (phone, garmin, laptop, tablet)
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    So i just bought an optical hrm on amazon today. I had issues with second hrm strap from garmin. Last night i was on my trainer and my hr was flat at 118 for a long time and based on wattage i was putting out i thought is should of been higher.

this is the optical hrm i bought:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00

This was the session at the 56 minute mark it started dropping for no reason.
    Activity | TrainingPeaks
    I must be in the minority, but I've had very little problems with the Garmin strap. I have a theory that folks that have trouble getting readings with HRMs that read electric impulses are susceptible to spontaneous combustion. Just a heads up in case you burst into flames unexpectedly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Garmin Premium HR straps suck.

It's well documented.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You have power. Very little point in even bothering with hr at this point.

And yes, garmin hrms suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    i thought is should of been higher.
    You mean "it should have been higher", right? God, you're killing me! You'll never be a real cyclist if you can't spell.

Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Garmin Premium HR straps suck.

It's well documented.
    Funny, that. I have two of the old non-premium Garmin straps, and they both work perfectly fine. These things must be at least 10 years old, and have never let me down, even once. Progress can be a *****, I guess...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also use the Whaoo Tickr and it works great.

Both my wife and I got the Mio wrist bands last year. Her's works great but mine is iffy so I just use it indoors. It is nice to get rid of the chest strap though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I read the reviews of the Scoche on DCRainmaker. I'm keenly interested, but the 8 hour battery life and proprietary charging cradle are deal breakers for me.

A rechargeable 8 hour battery would be fine if it could be charged with a standard micro-USB cable, but I'm not going to deal with another proprietary charging gadget.

Honestly, I'd just prefer it used the standard CR2032 like most of my other sensor devices.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Does the red one make your heart beat faster?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess I have been very fortunate, mine work without issue. Both the premium and standard. I have contemplated the Laser Z1 helmet with optical heart rate. Have not seen it advertised as available yet. Seems like a lot of prep work to go for a ride anymore. Charging batteries and all the specific clothing and shoes.
    2014 Felt F2 w Williams System 45/60 carbon clinchers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I guess I'm in the minority as well because I've had both and haven't any issues with either one. For strange reason I like how the "old" one feels/fits vs the "new" one.
    2017 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3
    2016 Fuji SL 2.3
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR
    2014 Marin Bocat Trail 29er

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I have the standard Garmin strap and it works great. I have had the premium strap and it did not work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I got tired of stopping and fiddling with it so I tossed it in the trash can.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I've found that using Buh-Bump HRM cream solved my problems with both my Garmin strap and the Polar strap I needed for my Computrainer.
    Once they both wore out, I got a MioLink wrist transmitter that will work with both.
    While it works "good enough" for my purposes, it's certainly not as responsive as a chest strap.
    But it's sure nice to put on a wrist band on and go!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    8 hours of battery life is kind of a bummer. The Wahoo Tickr works great for me and I haven't had to change the battery in over a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    hint:
    go on fleabay and buy a cheap replacement strap, they're cheap, like $1, and not $40 like Garmin wants to charge!

Garmin-Replacement-Heart-Rate-Monitor-HRM-Soft-Strap

Right now I have 3 Garmin HRM laying around that were given to me by frustrated people like some in here who thought they were junk and gave up on them. One of them I changed battery and that was it. The other 2 I changed to the cheap straps I bought on fleabay (I have a few of them in stock because they're so cheap). And yes, I've told these people to try changing the battery and get a new strap on fleabay, but none seemed to have the initiative to do so. So now they're mine, all working perfectly fine.

All these straps have electrodes, and electrodes wear out over time. So these straps are definite wear and tear items. And the symptoms mentions in here sound like bad electrodes on the straps. Wear and tear.

Give it a try people, and if you don't want to bother and still wants to trash it without trying a new strap, then send your garmin sensor to me, I will pay for first class shipping!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    ^Baloney on the wear and tear.

I replaced my Garmin Premium straps with a Motorola strap over two years ago. Whereas the Garmin Premium straps became unreliable within six months, the Motorola strap has been 100% reliable under the same "wear and tear" conditions.

Now, buying a Garmin strap on E-Bay for $1 makes perfect sense, but I would not attribute the Garmin strap failures to wear and tear, but rather to poor quality control and/or product design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast