Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

I Broke One of the "Rules" Last Summer

I confess - I broke one of "The Rules" of road cycling while on a very hot day in August. The Velominati have established these "rules" and I was in flagrant violation of rule 7 - no sleeveless jerseys while cycling. It was so hot and there was no strong sun to worry about getting burned on my upper arms that I just didn't care. Honestly, I don't get what the big deal is about wearing this type of shirt but I only own one and save it for the very hottest days.

LOL - the reaction from fellow road cyclists out there was noticeable. I only got one wave and I passed by many cyclists. Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?
    I Broke One of the "Rules" Last Summer-shirt.jpg
    2018 Motobecane Immortal Pro
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite (mostly a retired bike now)

The Slow One.
    In general, if you truly interpreted the reactions of fellow riders, it could have been:

No sleeves = triathlete = poor bike handling skills = stay far, far away.

Granted, I know a lot of triathletes that have far better bike handling skills than I do (they ride a lot of MTB), but I've seen a whole lot that scare the living crap out of me. As I get older and the crashes add up, I think about these things more than I used to. Probably too much for my own good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sleeveless is my go-to standard most of the year. Been that way for decades. If you hadn't made your OP I would never have known about the rule. Obviously, no one has ever said or indicated anything about it to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    All you needed was a helmet visor to complete "the look".

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    And some 'truck nutz'

Banned forever.....or not
    I thought that you were going to say that you wore your bib straps over your jersey.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Out riding.
    You look like a triathlete is why:

Triathlete in general means low/no bike handling skills, rides aero time trial bikes on the road, rides time trial bike on the road without full discs on a windy day, or rides with clip ons on their regular bike when not time trialing reducing their bike handling skills by 90% by not using their handlebars.

Triathlete = stay very far away/don't ride in our grupeto because you will crash and kill us all.

Cyclist = A ride should never be followed directly by a swim and a run for the purposes of sport.

Cyclist = UCI Triathlete = ITU.

I mean, all of this is fine if you just don't care, but this is just for future reference when you're out on your bike and people start giving you Forrest Whitaker eye consistently.
    Last edited by 1500SLR; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    The unwrit, 96th rule of the Velominati allegedly says that only a plonker shall follow all of the other rules.

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMHO, I don't care what anybody else wears as long as they are out there riding and aren't showing anything illegal.

Don't overthink it. Wear what is comfortable and of course visible.

PS, nice bike, love the color. Too bad you never see burgundy bikes anymore.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I confess - I broke one of "The Rules" of road cycling while on a very hot day in August. The Velominati have established these "rules" and I was in flagrant violation of rule 7 - no sleeveless jerseys while cycling. It was so hot and there was no strong sun to worry about getting burned on my upper arms that I just didn't care. Honestly, I don't get what the big deal is about wearing this type of shirt but I only own one and save it for the very hottest days.

LOL - the reaction from fellow road cyclists out there was noticeable. I only got one wave and I passed by many cyclists. Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?
    Wea what you like, but as for me I'm not that fond of staring at your armpit hair when I'm drafting you. So I don't care about sleeveless for women, but for men . . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Sleeveless is no good. Unfortunately, the bumblebee yellow and black with the horribly clashing blue stitching on the shorts are also only the start of the problems we see here. The riser stem. The giant saddle bag. The one red tire. The mismatched cages. Is that a valve cap I spy? There are multiple violations. Unacceptable.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Feel free to ignore an 8+ year old gimmick cycling website. More than likely you are seeing simple confirmation bias.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Sleeveless is no good. Unfortunately, the bumblebee yellow and black with the horribly clashing blue stitching on the shorts are also only the start of the problems we see here. The riser stem. The giant saddle bag. The one red tire. The mismatched cages. Is that a valve cap I spy? There are multiple violations. Unacceptable.
    just needs a Camelbak and some tube socks to complete the fashion train wreck.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Feel free to ignore an 8+ year old gimmick cycling website. More than likely you are seeing simple confirmation bias.
    ^This.^
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    IMHO, I don't care what anybody else wears as long as they are out there riding and aren't showing anything illegal.

Thanks about the color. Kind of fortunate actually as the paint has tended to chip a bit even soon after I got it way back in 2002. I found a nail polish color that is an exact match so I've used that to touch it up when needed.

As for the "rules", some I agree with and others I don't. I really couldn't care less but I did notice quite a clear difference in how other riders I came across reacted to me. No big deal, of course, but it was an interesting observation. I couldn't care less about the tires, bottle cages (one is red and the other black on purpose to match the bike colors), or any of the other criticisms. I care about how the bike itself rides and my ability to ride well. That's pretty much it.

Maybe it is the tri thing though my bike has no features of a tri bike.
    2018 Motobecane Immortal Pro
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite (mostly a retired bike now)

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's an aesthetic judgement most likely.
    mismatched tires, mismatched bottles, wife beater shirt with lycra bottoms and it looks like you are wearing a backpack from the front, by the time a cyclist can compute all that the chance to wave has gone.

who cares about people not waving to you. do your own thing and just enjoy it. ride safe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I really couldn't care less but I did notice quite a clear difference in how other riders I came across reacted to me. No big deal, of course, but it was an interesting observation. I couldn't care less about the tires, bottle cages (one is red and the other black on purpose to match the bike colors), or any of the other criticisms. I care about how the bike itself rides and my ability to ride well.
    I've always said that if riders won't ride with me because of stupid stuff like this, those aren't people I would want to ride with anyway. Can you say POSEUR?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    If they don't wave back the first time, you need to wave more vigorously.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Just a friendly observation here...you don't have the physique of a typical cyclist/road weenie. You look more like a weight lifter (out on a casual ride) than a roadie. That may have something to do with it...intimidation, perhaps?

The Slow One.
    I've always said that if riders won't ride with me because of stupid stuff like this, those aren't people I would want to ride with anyway. Can you say POSEUR?
    I pretty much "wave" at anyone, because I'm genuinely glad to see others cranking the pedals rather than adding to pollution.

That said, like most people, I evaluate every rider that comes near me based on visual cues out of self-preservation. Sometimes I completely miss the boat. I'll ride with pretty much anyone if they promise not to immediately drop me, but those early indicators often help me determine how much space to give someone until I can see how they pedal and handle a bike. Sometimes the fashion trainwreck is the best rider in the group and the best kitted is the worst. However, I still make those discriminatory judgements until I have more to work with.

Form follows function, so do what works for you. Just don't be upset when people don't readily accept your sense of style. Having a thick skin is a valuable asset for a roadie, because... Lycra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Rules? You don't need no stinking rules.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    To tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about the powder blue shingles on the house either.

Schuylkill Trail Bum

That's because burgundy bikes are slow as molasses running uphill in January.

I'd rattle-can that bike orange, toot sweet.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Velominati rules are stupid. Who cares if you break them.

But... those baggy "tights"? What's up with that? Did you lose 100lbs since you bought them?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    To tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about the powder blue shingles on the house either.
    This is the first really useful comment on the whole thread, though I must admit I kind of like the shingle color.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast