I got dusted by Mary Poppins this morning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I got dusted by Mary Poppins this morning

I was headed to work on the MUT doing about 18 mph when I hear a woman's voice say "passing". I must have looked surprised because she smiled at me and said "I'm cheating" and then left me in the dust. The surprise part was because she looked like she was slowely soft pedalling a clunky mountain bike. And she didn't look like a serious rider, if you know what I mean. I caught up with her at a stoplight and it turns out that she had a motorized front wheel, like this:

http://www.trendtimes.com/48v-500-wa...googleproducts

Said she got it off the net for around $400 and that the battery will run for about 60 miles going 22 mph. She said she liked to pedal a bit as well to get some exercise .

I described this to my wife, who also commutes on the same path to work. She said she was recently passed by the same woman going up a hill (not too many people pass my wife going up a hill). She said she couldn't beleive this person on a clunky mountian bike passed her. Yeah, I said. Felt like getting passed by Mary Poppins, didn't it?

Motorized front wheel is kind of cool, but it's still cheating IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member

Legal where you live?

Where I live, she's a Motorized Vehicle and not legally permitted on the trail.

That said, she could likely ride 100's of miles and never see any enforcement if she looks like a cyclist in most respects.

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

Re-Cyclist
    Get over it. It's a motorized cycle. Move on....
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Urb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Happened to me once doing some climbs around a 1k stretch of 11% grade. halfway up a elder gent just passed me like it was nothing on a city commuter. I knew it was electric motor driven but sure motivated me to get on my horse to catch up and pass.
    You get all the sleep you need when you are dead

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    Get over it. It's a motorized cycle. Move on....
    I once got passed by a moped. Sure it's motorized, but I felt like such a slacker.

Off the back

Duh, it's cheating

Cheating her out of exercise. And we've all heard of 'batteries not included,' but that's ridiculous. And that site does not include a link to obtain a battery.

kvo
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    What's the point of one of those?

Back from the dead
    Speaking of Mary Poppins, I actually rode by someone two days ago who was holding an umbrella with one hand and steering a bike with the other. How nuts is that? There was no rain, but it was a very hot day. They were headed for the MUT, which thankfully, I had just come off of. So I wouldn't have to deal with that balancing act. Indubitably.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    "If you are going to be stupid then you have to be tough". - Tony Stewart

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot_Gore View Post
    Where I live, she's a Motorized Vehicle and not legally permitted on the trail.

That said, she could likely ride 100's of miles and never see any enforcement if she looks like a cyclist in most respects.

Scot
    Those things are legal in Ontario where I live. Even E bikes are allowed on the MUT and they don't even resemble a bicycle. Crazy law.

ok
    Did she look like she could be Fabian's mom ?

"Hinault: Le velo est un sport de combat"

AC0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by superg View Post
    Did she look like she could be Fabian's mom ?
    Maybe she's his mechanic.

AC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by early one View Post
    it also happened last year to Boonen when he was passed by some Swiss guy on a motorized bike - both in Flanders and then again in Paris Roubaix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was in shanghai a few years back, they had electric mopeds on the sidewalk, completely legal as long as its electric over there.

Freaky though when they squeeze past at 20mph.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    embrace diversity

RoadBikeReview Member
    She's not a cyclist.
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... round here, some assist vehicles are allowed on paths depending on their horsepower...

I used to work with a woman who, in my estimation was the furthest thing from a cyclist... so imagine my surprize when she "pedaled" up. But, upon closer inspection, she was indeed on one of them Iacocca Zap thingies...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    ...it turns out that she had a motorized front wheel, like this:

http://www.trendtimes.com/48v-500-wa...googleproducts
    That page says: "48 Volt 500 Watt Electric Bicycle Conversion Front Wheel Kit", then has 2 pictures of it on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    I once got passed by a moped. Sure it's motorized, but I felt like such a slacker.
    Definately! I passed a moped going up one of the short sharp climbs on my commute last year.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

RoadBikeReview Member

Would have been funny if

Quote Originally Posted by early one View Post
    The video ended with Shleck passing Fabian

RoadBikeReview Member

Remember the M in MUP

22mph on an MUP? Stupid. 18 is pushing it pretty far too. Maybe 18 is ok for a short time, but better be ready to squeeze the brake.

MUP's (at least the one's I've been on) aren't really well suited for that type of speed - unless you want to kill a tricylist.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member

I've been going 18+ on the MUT for 1000's of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    22mph on an MUP? Stupid. 18 is pushing it pretty far too. Maybe 18 is ok for a short time, but better be ready to squeeze the brake.

MUP's (at least the one's I've been on) aren't really well suited for that type of speed - unless you want to kill a tricylist.
    I live in the state with more miles of paved MUT than any other. Here we have multiple types of Multiple Use Trails.

We have the not very wide, lots of cross traffic, many types of users trail.

and the 10MPH speed limits that go with them (never seen it enforced BTW). I almost never ride these, but they are great for familty outings and the more "recreational" cyclist in town (not that I'm NOT a recreational cyclist, nobody pays me to ride the bike).

And then we have the Bike Freeway MUT's

No speed limit (no motorized vehicles).

You can see in the above picture, they made a mistake a few years ago and used the template for the other type of trail to paint the path. They had to come back and paint over the speed limit.

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot_Gore View Post
    And then we have the Bike Freeway MUT's

No speed limit (no motorized vehicles).Scot
    Looks great to have. But does that really qualify as a MUT then? It isn't multi use if it's a bike freeway. Lot's of accidents happen on MUT's, partly because people ride too fast. I save my hammering for the road.

But, I've never been on the type of path shown so it's probably fine if you've ridden them so much and deem it safe to pick up the pace.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    80 yo lady was killed by a cyclist on a MUT in Seattle area last Fall, some trails are occasionally checked for the 10mph limit now.

If I remember the story the cyclist called "On your left" and startled the woman - what did she do?stepped left into his path. I don't believe the cyclist was criminally prosecuted but the public reaction was significant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    The Amish / Mennonite community have embraced electric bikes in a big way around here. Both two and three wheelers.They tow wagons and other bikes too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    Looks great to have. But does that really qualify as a MUT then? It isn't multi use if it's a bike freeway..
    Like a freeway is still labeled as single road, it's still considered a single trail.

There's still multiple types of users. That path on the far left in the photo in the Pedestrian Path. Runners, walkers, dog walkers are all present, just everyone has segregated infrastructure, including different direction cyclist (like the freeway has).

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast