I got a FREE Titanium "barn find". Any info on manufacturer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Wait a minute. If you're talking about doing climbs like this off-road on an MTB that is an entirely different matter. Very steep climbs are the rule and not the exception but also you're talking about gearing that slows you down to less than a crawl. My full suspension was so slow ascending that I could be passed by hikers despite hitting 40 mph down through the rough stuff. It was so slow uphills that I changed over to a no suspension cyclocross bike and would blow by full suspension bikes like they were standing still. It was the much lighter weight of a CX that allowed that.

So if you are talking about off-road I can see both your very steep climbs and your problem with old fashion road gearing.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    I commonly do a 16% quarter mile climb and I have done a quarter mile 23% climb and I don't believe you if you are talking about straining your knees with a 39/25.
    I couldn't care what you believe about my knees.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Campy's electronic shifting is called EPS but only millionaires and their their wives can afford it.
    Last edited by Tom Kunich; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:18 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Wait a minute. If you're talking about doing climbs like this off-road on an MTB that is an entirely different matter.
    No. This is a road bike forum.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Where do you live where you can find 20% grades. I realize that they are common in Appalachia but those climbs are short if damned steep. Neither in the Sierra Nevada or the Rocky Mountains have I seen road very steep with 7% being the average of highways and only very steep short stretches in and around cities. The climbs on the Death Ride are not over 9% and that is damned steep when you're riding 20 miles to the top.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Too bad that this wasn't posted sooner. I gave away a couple of DuraAce 9 speed derailleurs to some people who wouldn't know what they are.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Where do you live where you can find 20% grades. I realize that they are common in Appalachia but those climbs are short if damned steep. Neither in the Sierra Nevada or the Rocky Mountains have I seen road very steep with 7% being the average of highways and only very steep short stretches in and around cities. The climbs on the Death Ride are not over 9% and that is damned steep when you're riding 20 miles to the top.
    PA.

Like I said. You and I aren't riding the same kind of hills. But it really doesn't matter. Even a long 7% climb will irritate my knees. So easier gears are a welcomed benefit. And it's well proven more efficient, which is why the pros use them.
    So you do you... and grind your way up the hills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Would you look at those numbers you showed please? That is showing extremely steep climbs for VERY short distances regardless of the length of that ride. I know that those Pennsylvania climbs are real buggers but those climbs are not 29 miles or 19 miles long.
    Consider your first example - 26.6 miles x 5280 ft/mi = 140,448 ft for a gain of 262 ft? That is a climb distance of, what, about 290 feet.

I won't even bother with the other stuff since you don't understand climbing at all. We are riding up 4,000 or 6,000 ft climbs here. The Death ride is 129 miles and 15,000 feet of climbing at altitudes that aircraft need pressurized cabins.

Locally we have Mt Hamilton that goes above the clouds at 4,000 ft. and the Tour of California climbers leave the peleton early with a mild climb of only 6.5% and the steepest part of 13%. Mt. Diablo with a mere 3,850 ft and the pro tour also dumps pros on that with the jump at the peak of 25%. The peak is so small that the peleton as it finishes has to drop down to the parking lot for the finishing ceremony.

This is the sort of stuff we're used to looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_..._Tamalpais.jpg And this is only the 2700 ft peak of Mt Tamapias.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Would you look at those numbers you showed please? That is showing extremely steep climbs for VERY short distances regardless of the length of that ride. I know that those Pennsylvania climbs are real buggers but those climbs are not 29 miles or 19 miles long.
    Consider your first example - 26.6 miles x 5280 ft/mi = 140,448 ft for a gain of 262 ft? That is a climb distance of, what, about 290 feet.

I won't even bother with the other stuff since you don't understand climbing at all. We are riding up 4,000 or 6,000 ft climbs here. The Death ride is 129 miles and 15,000 feet of climbing at altitudes that aircraft need pressurized cabins.

Locally we have Mt Hamilton that goes above the clouds at 4,000 ft. and the Tour of California climbers leave the peleton early with a mild climb of only 6.5% and the steepest part of 13%. Mt. Diablo with a mere 3,850 ft and the pro tour also dumps pros on that with the jump at the peak of 25%. The peak is so small that the peleton as it finishes has to drop down to the parking lot for the finishing ceremony.

This is the sort of stuff we're used to looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_..._Tamalpais.jpg And this is only the 2700 ft peak of Mt Tamapias.
    Please don't try telling me how big your d!ck is. Everyone is a tough guy on the interwebs.
    None of your argle bargle is relevant to my knees.

Like I said three times... You and I aren't riding the same kind of hills.

and the pro tour also dumps pros on that with the jump at the peak of 25%.
    Psssttt.... those pros aren't running 39/25. lmao
    Last edited by tlg; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Please don't try telling me how big your d!ck is. Everyone is a tough guy on the interwebs....
    Sounds like your doing the boasting ... Mr Green.
    Why not let the discussion flow without the hate.
    Persecuted, Crucified, Kicked Out Of The Sand Box, Banned ... and Resurrected !

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Sounds like your doing the boasting ... Mr Green.
    Why not let the discussion flow without the hate.
    Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Please don't try telling me how big your d!ck is. Everyone is a tough guy on the interwebs.
    None of your argle bargle is relevant to my knees.

Like I said three times... You and I aren't riding the same kind of hills.

Psssttt.... those pros aren't running 39/25. lmao
    Yes we aren't riding the same sort of hills. You are on extremely steep and short hills and I am on hills where you have to eat and drink or you run completely out of energy before you get to the top. While they usually aren't nearly as steep with some exceptions, they go on and on and on and on. 2,000 ft at 9% is about all that most people can stand, even young fit riders.

And pros ride 54-39 on climbing rides. How do you think that they ride a continuous 25 mph on the flats? They will even push up to 30 or 32 mph near the end of a stage where they're trying to catch the breakaway.

In hilly TT's they may even ride 55-42 tooth rings with 11-23 tooth cogs. I certainly don't consider myself some sort of tough guy with a 50-34 and 11/28 the only time that 11 is ever used is on a downhill with a tailwind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    More attack's. Typical.
    I can read between the lines.
    As well as catch the whiff of hypocrisy.
    Just chill, we don't take its all so seriously. Open the Sand Box and play nicely with others.
    OK?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Walter Mitty is back.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    And pros ride 54-39 on climbing rides. How do you think that they ride a continuous 25 mph on the flats? They will even push up to 30 or 32 mph near the end of a stage where they're trying to catch the breakaway.
    Pros aren't running 39/25 in the mountains.

I certainly don't consider myself some sort of tough guy with a 50-34 and 11/28
    Wait.. WTF?

Actually it is pretty easy - you just back off. Here I am 76 years old and I did a hard climb of 5 miles up to 1000 ft (that had some downhills in it so that the total climb is 1,400 feet) with grades of 12% in a 39-25 on a heavy Italian Steel Bike (Pinarello) and while I was happy to reach the top, my legs and knees were fine.
    You started this all by saying it's easy to ride 39/25. And now you say you're riding 34/28. OMG

Some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Pros aren't running 39/25 in the mountains.

Wait.. WTF?

You started this all by saying it's easy to ride 39/25. And now you say you're riding 34/28. OMG

Some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing.
    Guess which ones have a 53-39 a 52-42 or a 50-34
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Should I show you the 5 latest bikes in the garage?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    LMAO

Well....................as a side note LOL

Bike is complete now! In the end, all that was required was cables, housing, bar tape and I had a San Marco saddle in my parts bin collecting dust so I put that on.

My buddy gave me the parts I needed to get it all done so the grand total and final cost of this bike/project was a whopping $0.00 Insane. It's my lottery I guess.

Couple glamour shots before a short 50km shakedown ride. Ran flawlessly!

Pretty stoked!

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1-2.jpg (160.4 KB, 46 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (200.0 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (87.2 KB, 46 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (202.0 KB, 47 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (85.2 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (230.6 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (103.5 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (78.0 KB, 44 views)

Neophyte
    Gorgeous, great job cleaning that thing up!

Since you got this for a steal... might I suggest you splurge on one thing... get a King titanium bottle cage. They are expensive, but they are the best metal cages IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    That is one of the most perfect jobs of restoration I have seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And you're the Green Queen Ms. TiG?
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is one of the most perfect jobs of restoration I have seen.
    Tom K - Agreed!

Ding Dong TheBigGreen Witch Is Dead. WoW look at TIG's struggle?
    Ska! Great job!
    BTW (Lombard Can not Ride This Bike either... )
    LMAO
    Why are Posters posting about bikes they can't ride ???
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:53 PM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    And you're the Green Queen Ms. TiG?
    More attack's. Typical.
    I can read between the lines.
    As well as catch the whiff of hypocrisy.
    Just chill, we don't take its all so seriously. Open the Sand Box and play nicely with others.
    OK?

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska! View Post
    My buddy gave me the parts I needed to get it all done so the grand total and final cost of this bike/project was a whopping $0.00 Insane. It's my lottery I guess.
    So... getting the bike for free wasn’t enough? Yeah, I’d look a few extra times before crossing the street. You’ve used up your good mojo for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    So... getting the bike for free wasn’t enough? Yeah, I’d look a few extra times before crossing the street. You’ve used up your good mojo for a while.
    He should throw a bunch of $20's in the street to protect his juju.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast