Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I just can't seem to get the right jersey fit

21K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Sebastionmerckx 
#1 ·
So far I've had a Louis Garneau jersey, size large, that fit perfectly through the chest and arms, but its length seemed more suited for someone six inches taller with a lot of excess weigh in the gut.

Then I go out and buy a Castelli Arrivo jersey. It also is a size large. The length, now, of this jersey is perfect, but now it's too tight under the arms, with bunched material from the stretch on the front and rear of my shoulders.

Now, the LG, with another run to the Tailor's and another $25 should fit ... but the alterations will soon add up to nearly the price I paid for the shirt.

And if I return the Castelli for an XL, it'll likely fit nicely through the chest and arms, but like the LG, it will probably wind up being too long.

What the hell is up with cycling jersey fit?! No local shops carry jerseys of interest to me. So I'm stuck with mail order.

What a pain in the arse! :mad2:

#3 ·
That's the thing, I prefer the tighter form fit jerseys as opposed to the flapping in the breeze relaxed fit. It's just that it's either too tight up top or too long on the bottom.

I mean, I'm an average size guy, 5' 10" and 160lbs. It's not like I have some scrunched up torso or hulking lats.

#4 ·
Have your chest measured as well as your waist. You can have this done just about anywhere where menswear is sold. Sounds like you'd be a small or medium. I'm 5'10", 190 lbs and I wear large, tight fitting jerseys with no issues. How big are your biceps? Mine are 14 inches and that's pushing it on some of the ones I have. If you work out a lot, you might have issues with arm fit as you suggested.

#8 ·
No, I'm 42" chest and a 30" waist. Normal shirts I tend to take an XL or in some cases a L. But with cycling jerseys it's like trying to catch a fly ball in the dark. Each of the three I have, although all larges, are so different in fit it's actually asinine.

#6 ·
My broad shoulders require a XL jersey but some in that size are too long so I pay a local seamstress $7 to shorten them an inch or two. Simple alteration on mountain bike jerseys. It does eliminate the elastic at the bottom of some road bike jerseys but I don't miss it.

Also, some road bike jerseys come in European fit which fits more tightly than American fit and club fit which is looser still.

#7 ·
What the hell is up with cycling jersey fit?! No local shops carry jerseys of interest to me. So I'm stuck with mail order.

From your report, you've tried TWO companies' jerseys and they don't fit. What about all of the other tons of brands available? Why don't you try on those jerseys at the LBS....you don't have to BUY them if cosmetics suck....then you can see what company's jersey at least fits you. Once you find a line of jerseys that you like then you can make more appropriate choices. Clothes are clothes....not every size 10 shoe fits well, not every size 32 pants fits well, not every Medium shirt fits well. Japanese clothes makers are different from Italian, which are different from American.

I have only 3 jerseys....a Pearl Izumi, a Cannondale, and a Scattante....and I like the fit of all of them.

You're not "stuck" with mail order, that's just what you decided to do. Damn, Wood, you ride 100 miles in a single ride...you can't find a few bike shops? :confused:

#10 ·
Well, that's the thing, I've got one bike shop that's about 8 miles away which has a selection of about five no name shirts (usually LBS logo crap), and another one about 12 miles away which isn't much better.

I've tried REI, but it's pretty much the same issue there, as well.

I don't think there are any places around that sell the brands I'm interested in, much less offering pro fit (which I actually have a tough time finding online, too).

And actually, the Castelli will make my 3rd jersey brand tried (Louis Garneau, Sugoi were the others).

#9 ·
Pics of the fit

And here is my best invisible bike pose ...

Oddly, the shirt isn't all that uncomfortable to wear. It's just really snug under my arms. And you can see the bunching of the material there.

I just ordered an XL. So I'll hold off on returning this L until I can test the fit of that when it arrives later next week.

I just feel I'm going to be having the same length issues of the LG.

#11 ·
Honestly, I'd be surprised if pro fit is right for you. It seems to be a lot better for guys with the T-rex roadie build. Since you've got a chest, shoulders and arms, club cut may work out better for you.

It's not necessarily the same as flopping around. I wear Voler, lately, because that's the brand that makes my team kit. I wear a size small, so I dunno if their L and XL follow a similar pattern, but the club cut jersey is actually still pretty fitted around my midriff, while being more forgiving of a mountain biker/stagehand's chest, shoulders and arms. Their rep. commented that since he still lifts weights, he's better off in club cut as well. For contrast, a teammate gave me a size medium racer cut jersey at the beginning of the season, before our order came in, so I could look like a team member in early season races (just switched to this team.) It also fits fine around my chest and shoulders, but there's more of it than I need around my midriff.

#14 ·
Honestly, I'd be surprised if pro fit is right for you. It seems to be a lot better for guys with the T-rex roadie build. Since you've got a chest, shoulders and arms, club cut may work out better for you.

Yeah, I agree, from what I've tried on.....maybe the club cut. Japanese and Italian brand race jerseys are for skinny/slim guys (Yay! :)).

You watch, Wood, the $12 Chinese Ebay knockoff jersey is going to fit you perfectly! :eek:

#24 ·
I agree with this guy. Way too loose for my tastes. I wouldn't worry too much about how it looks versus how it functions. I prefer fairly skintight yet not restrictive while in riding positions. I am 5'6" and 130-135 pounds and usually wear an XS which seems crazy to me but that's the way it goes... Usually the sleeves are then on the short side, but that's the best compromise for me.

You can try a bunch off ebay for a lot less than retail and just resell the ones you don't like without taking much of a hit. I think I've actually made money on some of the stuff I resold! :)

#21 ·
I think the new Pearl Izumi (except for the most expensive one) jersey the sleeves are too wide. Some Louis Garneau jerseys are European sizes (you need to get a size up), but sometimes European jerseys (especially the Italian ones) use multiple jersey outfits, but it's a rule of thumb if it's a full-zip I order one size up, but if it's a short zip I go two sizes up. Louis Garneau is French-Canadian and they use U.S. sizes, and so do most Castelli jerseys (except for the race jerseys). I never found a Nalini jersey that fit me, and that goes double for Nalini bibs.

Anything by Assos is very expensive...

#25 ·
I once got an Italian jersey - nice quality. Luckily, I guessed right by ordering a size up but I was pretty apprehensive. I mean I'm 5'4", 130pds with a 38" chest and 29" waist and I got a medium. It fits almost right but is still tight in the chest and arms - what kind of mutant wears the small then? A pro I guess - they're all cyborg's anyway. It's definitely hard to find a good fit.

Zeekster - OMG dude, do some curls!

#30 ·
I gotta say, there's a part of me that likes the less selection aspect of riding with a team. I wear the best-fitting jersey out of two fits and a size run of each. I wear the best-fitting shorts out of a size run of one style. If I replace my road frame, it's going to be the best-fitting I can get through our sponsors. Then I don't think about it anymore. :)

#31 ·
Large in Castelli is your size,imo. The jersey you have on is actually slightly loose on you compared to the fit I go for in Castelli. What I would say you should do is actually avoid that specific jersey if you feel it's too tight in the chest and just order another Castelli jersey in that same size. Try the Podio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.