I need a bigger skullcap!

Printable View

• 01-04-2008
    DrSmile
    I need a bigger skullcap!
    I swear my head is not obscenely humongous (not that one you sickos!), I am NOT a bobblehead, but it seems every skullcap I order is made for midgets. It hurts my head after a while they're so small. I tried Nashbar and Adidas. The Nashbar one is small AND cheap, total waste of $. They all seem to be universally sized, are there any that come in sizes or are pretty big?
  • 01-04-2008
    x-ker
    **breaths in deeply**
    **smiles through clenched teeth**
    **notices that DrSmile is from the states...that would explain it**

I believe the correct term you are looking for is "touque", not skullcap (sorry, pet peeve).

That being said, I'm not sure which touque manufacturers make big touques. I always thought that a touque was a "one size fits all" kind of thing. I've also got a bit of a big head, but usually find that any touques I wear will stretch out within a short period of time.
  • 01-04-2008
    lsnfa
    I just ordered one from nashbar. It's a 'deMarchi contour hat' it's called but it is actually skull cap. I ordered it because they actually come in two sizes, sm/m & L/XL or something like that, unlike all the rest of 'one size fit all's. But we'll see.
  • 01-04-2008
    MerlinAma
    I wear 7 1/2" to 7 5/8" hats and have had good luck with headsweats.

http://www.headsweats.com/

They have many styles.
  • 01-04-2008
    Cory
    Effing pinheads...I wear an 8-1/8, and...
    I have two that fit my monster head fine--one stripey wool number from Rivendell, not on the Web site anymore but this one http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=22-754 is similar. It won't fit under my almost-too-small helmet very well, though. The other is a thin polyester one from REI that's reasonably warm and is undetectable under the helmet.
  • 01-04-2008
    The Flash
    I have a 7 3/4 head and have found that the Headsweats fit pretty well. I keep my hair pretty short as well.....
  • 01-04-2008
    OldRoadGuy
    I'm gonna admit my ignorance... these are to keep your head warm or sweat out of your eyes? Don't they make your head too hot?
  • 01-04-2008
    lsnfa
    How do you measure hat size?

I have a huge head (in more ways than one) and I'm sure I'm way up there. :blush2:
  • 01-04-2008
    Creakyknees
    I thought a touque was the tall white hat that chefs wear.

Having googled it, I now know that a touque is what I call a ski cap, and a toque could be either a ski cap or a chef's hat.

Who says RBR is a waste of time now?
  • 01-05-2008
    Quote:

Originally Posted by x-ker
    **breaths in deeply**
    **smiles through clenched teeth**
    **notices that DrSmile is from the states...that would explain it**

I believe the correct term you are looking for is "touque", not skullcap (sorry, pet peeve).

That being said, I'm not sure which touque manufacturers make big touques. I always thought that a touque was a "one size fits all" kind of thing. I've also got a bit of a big head, but usually find that any touques I wear will stretch out within a short period of time.

It seems what you are referring to I would call a stocking cap or beanie. I don't think anyone in Texas would have a clue what a touque is! A skullcap, to me, is more of a thin tight fitting cap made from something light and stretchy. Very form fitting, and not at all like a stocking cap.

Pet peeve of mine when someone thinks a term they use for something like this is universal. How completely pretentious and, well, stupid.

Just like arguing over pop-soda-coke-cola. Obviously coke is right! When I ask for a coke in Texas, they ask me what kind. I do realize when I visit other places though that I should probably be more specific unless I want a Coca Cola.
  • 01-05-2008
    ARP
    Give Barry Bonds a call
    He might know something or have a source for you.... or not.
  • 01-05-2008
    FatTireFred
    8-1/8??? damn, are you Freddie Rodriguez?
  • 01-05-2008
    DrSmile
    I don't mind the quibbling about proper vocabulary, but all the stores in the USA call them skullcaps so that's what I use... I used to use them just for cycling under my helmet to keep me warm, and I stick with the thermal lined ones, but lately I have been using them also when I go out to run, ie when it's too cold to ride. They do somewhat work to keep sweat out of your eyes although that rarely works for me because I either don't sweat or I sweat buckets.

I found a post about the Nashbar one stretching out which gives me hope, I'll try to break it in for a few weeks.
  • 01-05-2008
    Touch0Gray
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSmile
    I swear my head is not obscenely humongous (not that one you sickos!), I am NOT a bobblehead, but it seems every skullcap I order is made for midgets. It hurts my head after a while they're so small. I tried Nashbar and Adidas. The Nashbar one is small AND cheap, total waste of $. They all seem to be universally sized, are there any that come in sizes or are pretty big?

ok....gonna say this and duck real quick....

you sure your head just ain't too big?.............................................. ......
  • 01-06-2008
    fishman473
    I have the same problem. My main concern is that the skullcaps don't cover my ears entirely. I have a Descent skull cap which fits a medium sized head well and covers the ears.

However I sweat a LOT (considerably more then most people) and I find that the Descent cap gets saturated after about an hour, fine if I keep my pace up, but it gets quite chilly if I slow down or stop. So I have started using a Smartwool beanie which looks very similar to the Rivendell beanie. So far it has proven exceedingly comfortable at temperatures between 10 F and 30 F, haven't had a chance to try it at other temps yet.
  • 01-06-2008
    99trek5200
    IIRC hat size is the circumference of your head divided by pi (~3.1417). You need a fabric tape measure to wrap it around your head to determine the circumferance. You might google the issue to make sure I am right.

If you are looking for warmth, particularly over the ears, I got the following "bucket liner"

http://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Bucke.../dp/B000BCXMDO

I found one from some military supply place on-line for $20 which included shipping.

Oh, & I have a big mellon too. My Bell Sweep R has to be adjusted all the way out.
  • 01-06-2008
    ARP
    Another warmth solution I know of
    Clear plastic tape over the front vents of your helmet. Works very well in cold weather and the sweat vents out the rear, eliminates RAM air.
  • 01-06-2008
    Dinosaur
    I wear a skull cap in the winter to keep my ears warm. end of story.
  • 01-06-2008
    Touch0Gray
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Gunman
    Clear plastic tape over the front vents of your helmet. Works very well in cold weather and the sweat vents out the rear, eliminates RAM air.

hehehehe you could stuff the vents with fiberglass too.....might be a bit itchy though...

I usually wear a headband to keep the ears warm.....my head doesn't really get cold, but then again I rarely ride if it is under 30 degrees.
  • 01-06-2008
    zooog
    I am still confused op what OP is really looking for......but in the winter a wear 2 different sull caps. PBK makes a house brand that has flaps that cover the ears and when the weather is a bit milder Santa brought me one from The Black Dog Store(martha's vineyard) that is real nice made by Garneau....good luck..:)
  • 01-06-2008
    Touch0Gray
    I got the perfect solution

how cold again?
  • 01-06-2008
    KWL
    I tried on Gore helmet liners at my LBS a few weeks ago. I usually wear large in just about everything cycling, but the large Gore liner was too big. I ended up buying a medium with a perfect fit. The Gore are designed with nice ear coverage as well.
  • 01-06-2008
    Terex
    I have a Seirus skull cap that I bought at a ski store in colorado. Fits my 7 5/8's head just fine. Can order from Campmor at http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=32420476

The Headsweats dealies for use in the summer do not fit me. Waay too small.
  • 01-06-2008
    Terex
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KWL
    I tried on Gore helmet liners at my LBS a few weeks ago. I usually wear large in just about everything cycling, but the large Gore liner was too big. I ended up buying a medium with a perfect fit. The Gore are designed with nice ear coverage as well.

I bought a pricey Gore ear warmer band and I can't hear when I wear it. Be careful with anything covering your ears.
  • 01-06-2008
    lsnfa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 99trek5200
    IIRC hat size is the circumference of your head divided by pi (~3.1417). You need a fabric tape measure to wrap it around your head to determine the circumferance.

Oh, & I have a big mellon too. My Bell Sweep R has to be adjusted all the way out.

Thanks.

RE: Your big melon: it depends on what size Bell Sweep R though.