I need a winter bike.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020

I need a winter bike.

I currently ride a London Road by Planet X but it's a bit tatty and I'm ready to upgrade to something more sporty for winter club runs.
    I'm fussy about a replacement and so I'd want the following;
    Disc brakes,
    2 x 11 gears,
    28mm tyres or tires,
    Mudguard eyes for full mudguards.
    Light weight but both carbon and aluminium considered.
    What would you guys suggest would fit my bill?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Neophyte
    Sometimes I wonder, do we really need winter bikes? It's not like they cancel TdF stages when it rains.

But n+1 is the rule... sounds like a good time for you to look into the gravel craze. 1x11 seems to be all the rage but 2x11 options are still out there and you could always convert.

My road bike is a 2015 Scott Addict. My old "winter" road bike is a 2006 Specialized Allez. But early last year I purchased a Fuji Cross (1.7 model, which was 2x11 with 5800) and really like it as the gravel/rain option. I still ride the Allez sparsely due to sentimental attachment, but it is now mostly ridden by the wife or stuck on the trainer. Carbon equivalent will be the Altamira CX, but again just 1x11 options now I think.

I think unfortunately Fuji has switched to only 1x11 offerings in the current Cross lineup, but you can find old stock still available. Of course, there are tons of other gravel bikes out there...

Rashadabd started this recent thread in the gravel subforum, you may want to peruse:
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/gr...es-371125.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder, do we really need winter bikes? It's not like they cancel TdF stages when it rains.

But n+1 is the rule... sounds like a good time for you to look into the gravel craze. 1x11 seems to be all the rage but 2x11 options are still out there and you could always convert.

My road bike is a 2015 Scott Addict. My old "winter" road bike is a 2006 Specialized Allez. But early last year I purchased a Fuji Cross (1.7 model, which was 2x11 with 5800) and really like it as the gravel/rain option. I still ride the Allez sparsely due to sentimental attachment, but it is now mostly ridden by the wife or stuck on the trainer. Carbon equivalent will be the Altamira CX, but again just 1x11 options now I think.

I think unfortunately Fuji has switched to only 1x11 offerings in the current Cross lineup, but you can find old stock still available. Of course, there are tons of other gravel bikes out there...

Rashadabd started this recent thread in the gravel subforum, you may want to peruse:
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/gr...es-371125.html

Sometimes...https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/26/s...her/index.html

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The TdF is in July. July rain ain't the same as winter riding.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Legendary.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Neophyte
    Yeah, if they all had gravel bikes on that stage and didn't cancel, maybe Alaphilippe would have won...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Living in France I did not have a lot of freezing water spraying on me in July. Was quite common in the winter.
    And I'd prefer my summer bike to not have full fenders.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    I like some of the comments but living here in Lincs UK, a big farming area with lots of run off from the fields, our roads are filthy. I therefore feel mudguards are a winter essential and although many of your suggestions are super bikes they do not support full mudguards so I must dismiss them.
    I sure this thinking infuriates off- roaders but if it means I can stay clean and also not throw dirt into the face of the guy on my wheel then, to me, they are a great addition to a winter bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can fit mud guards on pretty much any road bike with or without frame mounts.
    It sounded like you wanted a quicker winter ride.
    Id suggest you stay focused on that
    or youll end up buying pretty much the same slug your riding now.

What bikes are your mates riding?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Yes I am wanting a quicker bike than my Planet X London Road.
    The club runs this time of year are 50+ miles at 17-18 average but at 72 I'm slowing down so want a faster steed whilst still keeping clean.
    Over the years I've mounted all sorts of mudguards but the best performance is when the frame offers mudguard eyes and clearance for guards. I'm hoping a gravel sort of bike might offer what I need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hear ya, and Im on the same page.
    But Im also of the view that 60 + age is all the more
    reason to buy the lightest, stiffest, leanest, highest spec bike you can fit yourself to and afford. It really lends its qualities to the senior enthusiast as well. And more so.
    Domane , Roubaix , Road Machine, Addict RC , Defy,
    They all can be quality winter road rides.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    I hear ya, and Im on the same page.
    But Im also of the view that 60 + age is all the more
    reason to buy the lightest, stiffest, leanest, highest spec bike you can fit yourself to and afford. It really lends its qualities to the senior enthusiast as well. And more so.
    Domane , Roubaix , Road Machine, Addict RC , Defy,
    They all can be quality winter road rides.
    A woman has recently started riding with my club aboard a spectacular S-Works Roubaix she brought herself as a retirement present. Ive heard quite a few similar stories.

FWIW, among the group rudge66 mentions the Domane has the best fittings for fenders and accommodates 32mm+ tires in that configuration. Most of the others completely ignore this requirement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    You can fit mud guards on pretty much any road bike with or without frame mounts.
    Except that significant group of bikes where 25 mm tires barely clear the forks, chain stays, seat tube, and brake arch. For a winter bike, I would want significant clearance for fenders and not be trying to squeeze things in such that if your tire picks up a small stone, it jams between the tire and fender.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last edited by siclmn; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    delete
    Speak up now..

Perhaps another way of looking at winter road bike riding is to first give priority to bike build, regular wash down, and proper chain lubricant.
    Mudguards can only do so much or little really.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Speak up now..

Perhaps another way of looking at winter road bike riding is to first give priority to bike build, regular wash down, and proper chain lubricant.
    Mudguards can only do so much or little really.
    Good fenders, solidly mounted, go a long way keeping road grime off the bike and rider. Also, fenders don't necessarily make a road bike a "slug".

The window you're looking thru is too narrow.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    ​b
    Bingo! Id love to ride that . Is it under 20lbs? Whats the group set?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Attachment 326829Niner RLT 9 RDO 18 1/4 lbs without fendersAttachment 326827 and pedals.