I scratched my new bike

Printable View

• 03-23-2009
    saddle tramp
    I scratched my new bike
    I'm bummed. I hopped off the new rig to field a cell phone call, leaned her up against a tree and the wind blew her over. Nice little bugger on the top tube. Do mfg's still give out touch up paint?

Dang cell phone, do you turn yours off when riding?

SOB I'm depressed.
  • 03-23-2009
    Salsa_Lover
    man up.

it's just a scratch, may more yet to come :D
  • 03-23-2009
    Andrea138
    If that's the worst that ever happens to it, you're a lucky person.
  • 03-23-2009
    JustTooBig
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea138
    If that's the worst that ever happens to it, you're a lucky person.

+11. And yeah, turn the phone off. It's there for YOU to make an emergency call, if necessary.
  • 03-23-2009
    weltyed
    its always good to get the first scratch outta the way. sometimes i go to shops and just key every trek i see.

cell phones...if you have kids, leave it on. if not, what can happen in three hours that you cant deal with when you get back? impact event?
  • 03-23-2009
    uzziefly
    I scratched the paint on my top tube within minutes of getting on the bike (custom color at that too!) in the bike shop. Damn shimano cleat hit the tube when I put my leg over to dismount.

That was the first of a few here and there. It's all good. It'll get more scratches in future for sure with road grime etc.
  • 03-23-2009
    uzziefly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by weltyed
    its always good to get the first scratch outta the way. sometimes i go to shops and just key every trek i see.

cell phones...if you have kids, leave it on. if not, what can happen in three hours that you cant deal with when you get back? impact event?

You WHAAAAAA??????

Bastid!!! So THAT'S why the folks who buy new Treks keep telling me theirs have scratches from the store! :devil:

I stopped carrying my cell as of late. But when I do, it's on. Although, I don't really care about any calls that come in etc. I only bother when I'm meeting a friend to ride.
  • 03-23-2009
    Len J
    First one is the toughest.

Go to a auto parts store and buy some touch up paint......mix a couple of colors till it matches perfectly. Only you will know.

As to the cell. I have it with me. My wife & kids know that if it's an emergency, they dial, let it ring twice, hang up and dial again. If this happens, I'll answer on the second call....otherwise, I won't answer.

Len
  • 03-23-2009
    tomk96
    1st scratch is a bummer, but oh well. it will get more.
  • 03-23-2009
    bauerb
    wait till you crash it. i've laid down my race bike 3 times. its got the war wounds to prove it. its still goes just as fast.
  • 03-23-2009
    jsedlak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JustTooBig
    +11. And yeah, turn the phone off. It's there for YOU to make an emergency call, if necessary.

meh. I wouldn't jump on his case, some people like being connected more than others. At least the OP had the decency to stop and take the call rather than continue on down the road with no hands on the bars like some dickwad who passed me last week.
  • 03-23-2009
    rward325
    Bummer on the first scratch, glad it is out of the way! Now you can relax a little more when you are out riding. At least you stopped to get the call like jsedlak said. I have kids and we have the same 2 ring policy. I will pick up on the 2nd call.
  • 03-23-2009
    lalahsghost
  • 03-23-2009
    TeamCholent
    Your LBS can order the exact color match in a small bottle, similar to auto touch up paint.

That's life in the fast lane.
  • 03-23-2009
    j-dogg
    When I did my Ciocc restomod I went with white powdercoat, it has some scratches on it already, I've heard of people using nail polish to touch up frames.

I usually turn off the cell or set it to vibrate so I can call them back when I'm not flying down the road.
  • 03-23-2009
    Kerry Irons
    11 seasons, no scratches
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saddle tramp
    I'm bummed. I hopped off the new rig to field a cell phone call, leaned her up against a tree and the wind blew her over. Nice little bugger on the top tube. Do mfg's still give out touch up paint?

SOB I'm depressed.

Sorry about that. I've had my bike for 11 seasons and over 100,000 miles. Not a scratch on it. That's the beauty of 6/4 titanium :)
  • 03-23-2009
    Cory
    Don't make me do my Grant Petersen rant again.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saddle tramp
    I'm bummed. I hopped off the new rig to field a cell phone call, leaned her up against a tree and the wind blew her over. Nice little bugger on the top tube.

OK, just the short version, from something Grant wrote years ago: "It's a piece of outdoor equipment. It's going to get scratched".
    As several other people have probably pointed out (I don't have the heart to read another whole thread about a scratch), you can get matching paint from a car parts place, or check the nail polish aisle in a drug store near a junior high school. Testor's model paints also are good (the green on my Atlantis is the same color as the interior of Russian military vehicles).
  • 03-23-2009
    El Caballito
    Your bike now has character... if you find yourself unable to sleep at night, use testors model paint.
  • 03-24-2009
    Mr. Versatile
    I agree with the Testors model paint, fingernail polish, and mixing a couple colors together. Keep in mind that it'll never be perfect. When this happens to me, naturally, I want perfection too. If you can reduce the contrast so it's not as noticible nobody will notice it's there unless you point it out to them.
  • 03-24-2009
    sxr-racer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JustTooBig

Uh, was mountain biking a few months back, My wife pulled her back out while I was gone. I have a 2 year old also that was with her. Leave your phone on. Set up special ring tones for people who may call in an emergency.
  • 03-25-2009
    free945
    come on,it's just a scratch, may more yet to come.
  • 03-25-2009
    saddle tramp
    "Your LBS can order the exact color match in a small bottle, similar to auto touch up paint."

I talked to the mfg but they say they don't have any, but they might be getting some later in the year.

Are you saying that an LBS has a different route to match up colors?
  • 03-25-2009
    Becky Thatcher
    It's for fun.
    It's heartening to read responses that respectfully point out that bicycles, unless purely used for a utilitarian purpose, are for fun! My current road bike, though some might cringe at me classifying it as such, is a Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc. It has a carbon fork and carbon seat stays and Avid Juicy Seven disk brakes. I had the wheelset built with Chris King hubs and Mavic rims. I have over 6000 miles on this build and I still don't hesitate to ride it anywhere. I think stairs are too tempting, and curbs were made to jump off. I was behaving like a kid the other day and I realized this, "I ride a bike because it's fun. I ride because I like it."

Since I'm closing in on 50 years old I decided to reward myself with a new frame and I just started putting together my new Ti Lynskey ProCross disk. I'll use most of the components on my old bike and I'll ride the heck out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I maintain my bike well. I built it from the frame up and I have the tools and ability (I think) to take care of it properly.

My point is, if we're not doing this because it's fun, then why bother?

(These are just opinions, and they are not intended to offend. If you were offended, please accept a token of my extreme.)
  • 03-25-2009
    CleavesF
    Dude, if you complain about chips and scratches, you need to ride MORE!!!
  • 03-25-2009
    Kuma601
    Just about anytime I get a new bike, I fall. That translates to one of the many following: gouged brake levers, gouged skewers, RD, bar tape and/or scuffed saddle. :( A scuffed me too ;)