• 04-05-2005
    Frith
    I see this all the time... bars+stem+levers+cables on ebay...
    I see this all the time on ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...145950647&rd=1

    Are they that lazy that they can't remove the old tape and cables at least?
    I don't get it.
  • 04-05-2005
    Henry Chinaski
    in some cases maybe stolen?
  • 04-06-2005
    wayneanneli
    I was just about to write that maybe they're not very good at marketing their stuff on the net, the photos make brakes and cables look really ratty, but they've gotten 18 bids and are up 108.00 dollars. Seem like people will buy anything in any condition.
  • 04-06-2005
    bikejr
    Yea
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    Seem like people will buy anything in any condition.

    Truer words were never spoken about ebay. You could probably put a used dirty jock strap out there and it would get bids...
  • 04-06-2005
    crashjames
    given certain fetishes...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bikejr
    Truer words were never spoken about ebay. You could probably put a used dirty jock strap out there and it would get bids...

    One might make enough to buy a nice C-50 or a Parlee...
  • 04-06-2005
    terry b
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Frith
    I see this all the time on ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...145950647&rd=1

    Are they that lazy that they can't remove the old tape and cables at least?
    I don't get it.


    If you can get $108 for $50 worth of used parts, why bother cleaning it up?
  • 04-06-2005
    bill amc
    funny you should say that,
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crashjames
    One might make enough to buy a nice C-50 or a Parlee...

    Never sold a jock strap, dirty or other wise, but selling stuff on ebay is how I saved enough money to by my Parlee.
  • 04-06-2005
    spookyload
    Do a search real fast for how much 105 shifters go for. $108 is a deal. When I was building my crosser, I was going to go with 105 shifters till I saw they sold for $20-$30 less than Ultegra 9. The 105 shifters were usually selling for $120-$130.
  • 04-06-2005
    elviento
    I was gonna say that too.
    Probably the shortage of parts from Shimano is driving up the used parts prices on ebay. The buyer probably figured he bought the shifters and everything else is basically thrown in for free.
  • 04-06-2005
    Bryan
    I bought a Cannondale R800 that was "New Old Stock" from a LBS. The only thing I wanted was the Caad5 frame. I parted the bike out and sold everything on ebay. When all was said and done, I got the new frame for $150 bucks.
  • 04-07-2005
    Old_school_nik
    I love it when people don't clean the parts well
    if they take good pictures and have a good track record (feedback) you can get amazing deals - other people seem to shy away from bidding on the items because they think they are hot or are too used - SILLY - its ALL in the feedback. I scored the most lightly used Ksyrium Ellites for 60% of retail off because the rims had brake pad or road tar on them. When I got them I realised the guy must have used them ONE vey hot day in Tampa Florida! (his ebay location)

    Happy bidding

    -nik
  • 04-07-2005
    terry b
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by spookyload
    Do a search real fast for how much 105 shifters go for. $108 is a deal. When I was building my crosser, I was going to go with 105 shifters till I saw they sold for $20-$30 less than Ultegra 9. The 105 shifters were usually selling for $120-$130.

    Did you look at the rust on the cable ends in the picture? Do you think the guts of the shifters are pristine? I wouldn't have touched any of that stuff for any price.
  • 04-07-2005
    Bryan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Old_school_nik
    if they take good pictures and have a good track record (feedback) you can get amazing deals - other people seem to shy away from bidding on the items because they think they are hot or are too used - SILLY - its ALL in the feedback. I scored the most lightly used Ksyrium Ellites for 60% of retail off because the rims had brake pad or road tar on them. When I got them I realised the guy must have used them ONE vey hot day in Tampa Florida! (his ebay location)

    Happy bidding

    -nik


    Ebay is loaded with idiots. The same people who will bid on anything will leave positive feedback before they even recieve the item.
  • 04-07-2005
    Asiago
    when I need cash
    When I need to raise some cash to satisfy my cycling fix I turn to Ebay! Love the place! I bought some 105 brakes at the local swap meet for $10 and I sold them for $32 on ebay! What could be even more hilarious is that I got $27 for my 2000 WCP TdF Videos, not DVDs, used Videos! I thought I'd be lucky to get my $5 opening bid! Then I got $32 for my 2001 WCP [used] videos!

    Ha! With a few other auctions I'm halfway to a new pair of look KEO Titanium spindle pedals! :) My current auction is an old classic Sella Italia Flite sadle that is at $12.50 and I thought I'd maybe get $10 for it! Gotta love Ebay! :)

    I wonder how much I'll get for my Ultegra crankset which will be followed by a Dura-Ace crankset! :) Money, money, money....