I think October's here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

I think October's here.

I have been having some health issues after riding my bike.
    I am getting old, 68. I think it's is just related to that, as I don't seem to have any 'real' health issues.

So, from the forum, is there some anticipated health issues when one finally starts slowing down? ...or where can I find this?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I am getting old, 68. I think it's is just related to that, as I don't seem to have any 'real' health issues.

So, from the forum, is there some anticipated health issues when one finally starts slowing down? ...or where can I find this?
    If you are healthy, my advice is not to go looking for new maladies. Just keep riding. If you have to slow down a bit or cut down on miles, that is no big deal

RoadBikeReview Member

You should probably sell your bikes and invest the money in a nice room in the nursing home. It sounds like you are just too old and decrepit to be out there riding a bike. Maybe too old to be doing anything but sit around remembering the good old days and eat soft foods.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    smoke some pot, crank up some melvins, and htfu!

that'll be $250. you're welcome.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think I got that down, although my preference rid'in these days is O'Riordan, that may be a mistake, but I can't get her out of my head. I think she is calling me!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Time wounds all heels.

Time is the fire in which we all burn.

So you run and you run to catch up to the sun but it's sinking... rushing around to come up behind you again.

You will spend the rest of your life in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

I'm older than you and don't share your doubts. If find the bike to be the tonic, not the poison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I do about 5-12 what I consider hard rides a year... and nowadays. Within a week of each one of those, I am getting these 'attacks'. If I don't do the 100 miles all in efforts, they don't come.
    I think I'm getting old. I was wondering if your in 'good' health, why the 'attacks' and ....
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member

^^^^^
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Time is an asterix ...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I'm older than you and don't share your doubts. If find the bike to be the tonic, not the poison.
    Exactly.

A short ride will take away all those nagging aches and pains that make an old man want to give up. Never say die. And if you haven't already, pay homage to your legs and learn how to spin. The key to longevity? Slow twitch muscles. Seriously.

Pack Fodder.
    Sounds like you're due for a new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I do about 5-12 what I consider hard rides a year... and nowadays. Within a week of each one of those, I am getting these 'attacks'. If I don't do the 100 miles all in efforts, they don't come.
    I think I'm getting old. I was wondering if your in 'good' health, why the 'attacks' and ....
    duriel, I am not sure what you mean here by "attacks" but a few extra aches and pains is no reason to throw in the towel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The 'attacks' are very strange, I have talked to several doctors (not sports docs) and they have come up with nothing. That is why I decided to post here.
    I don't know how to describe them other than they are like I'm entering the beyond, ethereal in a way, dreamlike, melting into the world, maybe a little pain and 'looking at one's self from outside one's body. You know dieing.
    BANNED

gazing from the shadows
    The 'attacks' are very strange, I have talked to several doctors (not sports docs) and they have come up with nothing. That is why I decided to post here.
    I don't know how to describe them other than they are like I'm entering the beyond, ethereal in a way, dreamlike, melting into the world, maybe a little pain and 'looking at one's self from outside one's body. You know dieing.
    I have no idea, but that doesn't stop anyone on the internet.

Sounds like the effects of lack of oxygen to the brain. It may or may not be related to your 100 mile efforts. But some sort of cardiopulmonary issue might be showing up from what is essentially a "stress test". Though, not being an MD, I can't imagine what would be the cause of the delay in symptoms.

Are you on meds to lower blood pressure? That might be contributing, and a slightly lower dosage might be in order IF your BP is too low. Might be worth getting a cuff and checking yourself through the day to look for any patterns.

I would suggest you see if you can find other causes. Do you experience any of those symptoms in a mild form at other times? After less intense exercise? At certain times of the day? When getting out of bed perhaps? You might not have noticed them, but might if you start looking for them.

Good luck figuring things out. You might consider lowering your max miles and/or efforts though, for the time being.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    No meds, stress test ck, yearly physical ck, blood workup ck, thyroid workup ck, blood pressure ck, heart rate ck. Feel great otherwise. I do have usual sports aches and pains as normal, but that ain't this.
    A typical mild/med attack lasts 3-7 minutes, I had 3 the other day and then a headache later. A big one will put me in bed or on the floor for longer.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    No meds, stress test ck, yearly physical ck, blood workup ck, thyroid workup ck, blood pressure ck, heart rate ck. Feel great otherwise. I do have usual sports aches and pains as normal, but that ain't this.
    A typical mild/med attack lasts 3-7 minutes, I had 3 the other day and then a headache later. A big one will put me in bed or on the floor for longer.
    I can see where that would be concerning. Perhaps try a different doctor. Maybe a fresh look and it may yield results. Has this ever happened while riding? What about perhaps low blood sugar. Are you eating after a big ride?

gazing from the shadows
    Could be migraines. Which do some very strange things in terms of symptoms before the pain starts. It is unusual for them to develop late in life, but it does happen.

Can migraine occur for the first time in later life?

It is rare, but not impossible, for migraine to occur for the first time later in life. If new migraine-like symptoms develop for people over 60, underlying disease may be responsible. In a study of older patients with new migraine-like headaches, five out of 69 patients had an abnormality which showed on a scan. Doctors will be cautious when considering a new diagnosis of migraine for a person over 60.
    https://www.migrainetrust.org/living...in-later-life/

In any case, increased headaches later in life are NOT like headaches earlier. Most people get fewer headaches later in life. So I would consider thinking about a contrast scan, just to rule out a developing aneurysm or tumor, given your odd cluster of symptoms.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I got a blood sugar tester, that is the next item to ck off. I'm not too optomistic... some times these happen an hour after I eat breakfast, so... I should have adequate BS.
    Yes, had an attack on a group ride. I had my heart monitor on, it went down a little, I slowed down 5mph and went to the back, the guys slowed down, after 5 min I went back to the front and took over again (we weren't going that fast). It's just strange.
    Headaches are not always a part of this, maybe 5%, maybe 20% the time I get a headache later that day.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The 'attacks' are very strange,... like I'm entering the beyond, ethereal in a way, dreamlike, melting into the world.
    So the "attacks" are more psychological then physical? Like an anxiety issue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    just be grateful its not december. i've done some of my best rides in october and november.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How long ago was your stress test? Doesn’t sound neuro or psych at all. The down tick in your HR sounds mechanical. Constriction? This is cardiologist territory I’d suggest.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I got a blood sugar tester, that is the next item to ck off. I'm not too optomistic... some times these happen an hour after I eat breakfast, so... I should have adequate BS.
    Yes, had an attack on a group ride. I had my heart monitor on, it went down a little, I slowed down 5mph and went to the back, the guys slowed down, after 5 min I went back to the front and took over again (we weren't going that fast). It's just strange.
    Headaches are not always a part of this, maybe 5%, maybe 20% the time I get a headache later that day.
    This is internet advice here but I really think you need to go back the the doctor, perhaps try someone else

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    I'm not you, I dont know you and I'm not a doctor.
    If I were you I would be at the doctor tomorrow telling him that I'm having what feels like an out of body experience, etc..
    If I did know you I would take you to the doctor.
    If I were a doctor I would be looking at cardiovascular function, electrical heart function and vascular brain function.

If you think the symptoms you describe aren't that big of a deal and maybe the folks on a bike forum can advise you Id suggest you rethink that.

gazing from the shadows
    "Aura" symptoms of migraines come before the headache. But 20% of the time for a headache makes migraines sound less likely to me. Still might be, but unlikely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast