I want ride bikes more, but can't recover enough - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    According to online unit conversion chart, 58kg is 127.87 Lbs. At 5'-10" height, that's way too light. Perhaps your daily caloric intake needs to be increased as part of your training program?

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    According to online unit conversion chart, 58kg is 127.87 Lbs. At 5'-10" height, that's way too light. Perhaps your daily caloric intake needs to be increased as part of your training program?
    I would concur. It looks like the OP could use a few good meals.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    "Way too light"? maybe for the "average" US citizen?
    It depends on the build...
    It certainly does not have to be "way too light".

Rub it............
    5'10 and 125 lbs is very thin. I think of the OP puts on like 10-15 lbs in muscle, he will see that he will be able to ride longer and recovery may be better as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would concur. It looks like the OP could use a few good meals.
    I found a point 2 summers ago where I felt like I was starting to lose performance from my weight dropping. I’m 6’2” and I like to ride around 165-170 pounds, below 165, I had hit close to 160, I felt washed out... N=1 is not science, I realize, and my perception may be bunk... But I took off a little more time and added extra snacks like sweet potatoes and some other decent calories and I felt back to normal.

I also realize elite cyclists make my weights look silly. Sir Wiggo won TdF at 6’3” and 157. He track races at 175.
    Last edited by PBL450; 01-01-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    "Way too light"? maybe for the "average" US citizen?
    It depends on the build...
    It certainly does not have to be "way too light".
    I wasn't talking about famine stricken parts of the world. 127.87 lbs at 5'-10" height is lighter than pro level marathon runner at that height.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I wasn't talking about famine stricken parts of the world. 127.87 lbs at 5'-10" height is lighter than pro level marathon runner at that height.
    For someone 5' 10", the normal weight range is 132-174. Keep in mind this is someone with an average muscle build. For someone who is athletic, the lower part of that range would be underweight. 128 would definitely be underweight.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    If you believe in that BMI stuff, it's just below the "underweight" limit (18.5).
    So that's not "way too thin"...
    Otherwise what would you call someone with a BMI below 18?
    There's a thread on Weightweenies with lots of cyclists in the "underweight" category...
    and they don't seem to have the "can't recover enough" problem
    hence stating that simply gaining weight fixes the problem seems to be bogus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    What is normal? It doesn't matter what normal is for the entire rest of the planet, if your talking about 'one', the rest doesn't matter.
    But a month experiment by the OP, adding 5 lbs of body wt would seem appropriate as a test and then see how you feel.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    What is normal? It doesn't matter what normal is for the entire rest of the planet, if your talking about 'one', the rest doesn't matter.
    But a month experiment by the OP, adding 5 lbs of body wt would seem appropriate as a test and then see how you feel.
    The "norm" is a variable.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    :-) it always comes down to me need to eat more...I do eat enough and healthy..i have been visiting gym several times before in my life(never more than 6 months), gained up to say 5kg and lost them quickly, when stopped hard workouts and stopped having up to 7-8 meals a day(5 is normal for me)...the last time i did it was last winter and gained 4kgs and lost them by June, since i was "only" cycling..which was the main reason for visiting gym until spring...to be stronger rider.Another thing is, i do eat a portion of mass gainer before every ride, if it suppose to be longer than an hour and another one immediately after ride. My isotonic drinks always have some carbs in it and i do have an energy bar every hour and a gel too sometimes(i find energy bar works much better for me, than gel) ..people who know me, can't believe how much i eat...my parents had the same body type as i do.

...i guess i need to pay more attention to rest and try to train more systematically..which is where i lack knowledge;
    avoiding junk miles? I think i don't do them...my shorter rides (up to 1,5h) are almost every time full throttle, regardless if it is flats, climbs or combination, longer ones are always combined with climbs, where i try to attack...i do intervals too...so i don't see what else i could do, but hire a coach, which seems a bit too much first world jacking (i don't do races as i want to keep cycling completely stress-less, as opposition to music, which i also started for the sake of loving it and now it is absolutely devoted for stage preparations...for years).
    I know, i am underweight, but there is not much i can do, but go to gym again, which i would happily swap for bicycle again, when weather would get warmer...but than again, i ride bikes way bellow freezing temps...I am healthy, feel great and so no problem, thank you all!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOTS View Post
    :-) it always comes down to me need to eat more...I do eat enough and healthy..i have been visiting gym several times before in my life(never more than 6 months), gained up to say 5kg and lost them quickly, when stopped hard workouts and stopped having up to 7-8 meals a day(5 is normal for me)...the last time i did it was last winter and gained 4kgs and lost them by June, since i was "only" cycling..which was the main reason for visiting gym until spring...to be stronger rider.Another thing is, i do eat a portion of mass gainer before every ride, if it suppose to be longer than an hour and another one immediately after ride. My isotonic drinks always have some carbs in it and i do have an energy bar every hour and a gel too sometimes(i find energy bar works much better for me, than gel) ..people who know me, can't believe how much i eat...my parents had the same body type as i do.

...i guess i need to pay more attention to rest and try to train more systematically..which is where i lack knowledge;
    avoiding junk miles? I think i don't do them...my shorter rides (up to 1,5h) are almost every time full throttle, regardless if it is flats, climbs or combination, longer ones are always combined with climbs, where i try to attack...i do intervals too...so i don't see what else i could do, but hire a coach, which seems a bit too much first world jacking (i don't do races as i want to keep cycling completely stress-less, as opposition to music, which i also started for the sake of loving it and now it is absolutely devoted for stage preparations...for years).
    I know, i am underweight, but there is not much i can do, but go to gym again, which i would happily swap for bicycle again, when weather would get warmer...but than again, i ride bikes way bellow freezing temps...I am healthy, feel great and so no problem, thank you all!

Given the available data and your report of a genetic tendency to shed weight, it appears parasites and cancer are unlikely culprits so I’d talk to your doc in detail on your next annual physical. Have blood work done, check thyroid... Rule out weird medical things and find a trainer with a good reputation who understands nutrition and performance. Supplements are generally BS marketing, use them if your doc agrees...

Or, just listen to your body. Rest more. Ride long or ride hard when you are up for it. One of each every week plus intervals and one more structured ride of your choice thrown in... 30 miles in the drops? Who knows, find something you need...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    ...To ride faster, you need to ride faster: speed work. Intervals. That kind of thing. There is no reason you would need more than an hour ride for that...
    I concur.

This is what I do mostly during the winter months to work on my speed because I don't like being out in 20 or 30* weather too long for those long rides - save that for the warmer months. I occasionally do longer rides with my fair weather riding buddies (on those rare 50-60* days in the winter), other than that I am out there by myself doing the HIIT for 1-1.5 hours, depending on the temperature. I use the winter months to work on some of my weaknesses. As a matter of fact, I will be doing a longer but less intensive ride tomorrow with my fair weather riding buddy; it will be near 60*. I need to keep my cycling legs to be ready to go when the warmer season arrive. I've come to grips that I'm no spring chicken anymore.
    Last edited by Methodical; 01-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Overly View Post
    ...Also, while YMMV, I inadvertently discovered after breaking some stuff a few years back that I benefited immensely from just taking two weeks off from all exercise once a year. It allows lots of nagging pulls and tears to resolve themselves.
    Funny you say this, I do this after the century ride in October. I don't even think about or look at the bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12