Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors

Instead of riding indoors in the winter on smart trainers using Zwift, our bicycling fore-fathers from the 1930's (at least in Milwaukee) apparently took to the ice to ride and race their bikes...

Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors-thumbnail_image.jpg

A closer look at these ice bikes reveals a machine that certainly wouldn't ever be UCI approved...

Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors-thumbnail_img_2308.jpg

Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors-thumbnail_img_2309.jpg

Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors-thumbnail_img_2310.jpg

Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors-thumbnail_img_2311.jpg

Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors-thumbnail_img_2307.jpg

This isn't my bike, I just think it's an interesting part of cycling history... and can't imagine how dangerous it would be to race one of them in an "ice peloton"!

Here's an ice bike in action (probably shot with the iPhone-X, I think)...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    That is cool! Thanks for posting! I've had fleeting thoughts of building something similar just for fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    A closer look at these ice bikes reveals a machine that certainly wouldn't ever be UCI approved...
    Perhaps newly formed UICI may approve it with some kind of protective apparel requirement for the racers? They would have to bundle up for the temperature anyway.

They already do that with motorcycle on ice.
    Ice Biking Racing... the Non-UCI Approved Alternative to Riding Indoors-ddmqw0h9oyhm-101.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thatís way cool! Short Track speed skaters wear wrist and neck gaiters to avoid deadly blade contacts. I do ice rides every chance I get on my mtb. I often can ride the high tide line that is left frozen as the ride recedes. It is a bit more coarse then the frozen lake ice pictured here. With a tail wind I was absolutely flying on my fat bike on ice a few weekends ago. The long, brutal rides into the headwind to set up those rides was way worth it!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.