Ideas for Tastefully Adding Color to a Boring Black Bike - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    BrandNew 2020 Trek Domane SL7 .
    Just ride it .
    Focus on the performance of the bike and your body.

I think your bike looks fine please don’t mess with it.
    I hear yah... It is a sweet bike and I am very thankful I could afford it. This bike is pretty much my dream bike and has everything on it that I want... except for a unique paint job. For the price I paid, I was willing to go with yet another black bike in my stable of black bikes.

I like customizing things I own to look unique. I haven't owned a single car that I haven't modified so that the average person notices there is something different and better looking about my car, but it doesn't look like a hideous mess. To me, aesthetics are also important, even if I'm the only one who appreciates it.

One reason I like to customize my stuff is that it makes it much easier to find my stuff! For example, imagine going on a sponsored bike ride with thousands of riders, and seeing a handful of other bikes that look exactly like yours. Since I live about 1 hour from Trek headquarters, the chances of that happening are very good. With a small bit of customization, it's easier for me to identify my own bike easily. This is probably not the best example, but I have met people that have tried to get into someone else's car because they didn't realize it wasn't their car!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Black is the most versatile color out there; any color goes with it. Just choose something you like and go with it. But, I suggest you leave it as is. It's much better looking than those bikes with a bunch of ugly rainbow colors mixed with all kinds of stripes and bunch of ugly badging (i.e. way too busy looking) that some old angry color blind dude came up with. Keep it simple; it looks better that way and it won't be too busy looking.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Personally, I think that bike would look awesome if the Trek logo were bright red. Other than that, I kind of like stealth black which certainly beats the previous trend of boring white bikes.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Keep it simple; it looks better that way and it won't be too busy looking.
    I suppose you're right that I should appreciate the minimalist paint job. In 10+ years, it'll still be boring black but still not offensive or out-dated Heck, Model T Fords still look good in black

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I suppose you're right that I should appreciate the minimalist paint job. In 10+ years, it'll still be boring black but still not offensive or out-dated Heck, Model T Fords still look good in black
    Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody here know the real reason why most cars of the time were black?

https://www.autonews.com/article/200...-dried-fastest
    Last edited by Lombard; 12-22-2019 at 03:38 PM.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Just posting this as a little inspiration for myself...

The following isn't really my cup of tea (colors are too pastel for my tastes), but could easily be accomplished via vinyl that could be removed once I got sick of the look...

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 12-22-2019 at 05:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    That second pic looks good and it would be really easy to do.... keep the ideas coming.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    A simple stripe looks way better than I thought it would and could pretty easily be done with vinyl. Granted the following bike has a little more color than just the stripe, but...

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Subtle with a pop of color

Supacaz? Phil Wood? Chris King?
    Supacaz makes top caps, bar end plugs, tapes, bottle cages, etc, in colors that would match or complement your downtube decal and really pop against a matte black frame in a tasteful way. Also, Phil Wood and Chris King make some really nice anodized parts like stem spacers and skewers that look amazing in deep colors.

This would make it look like a nice custom build without getting gaudy. I would recommend staying away from trying to do intricate design work yourself unless you're a graphic designer or artist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    I would recommend staying away from trying to do intricate design work yourself unless you're a graphic designer or artist.
    Ever get out of your box?

Just found there is a HobbyLobby in the next town over the mtn. They have colored vinyl sticky sheets,solid & with design, I'll be visiting them soon. If you can't find something there, be square!

I found another source... VViVid, they have all colors, chrome, transparent, designs, ... now for decisions/design.

I'll post a picture so you all can ridicule me for my bliss!
    Last edited by duriel; 12-23-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Just found there is a HobbyLobby in the next town over the mtn. They have colored vinyl sticky sheets,solid & with design, I'll be visiting them soon.
    Make sure any vinyl you purchase is going to be tough enough for outdoor use. I typically look for 3M vinyl used for automotive wraps as it's tough and less likely to fade in the sun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Instead of changing your Trek, buy a couple of colorful vintage bikes with those wild 80s&90s paintjobs.

Train heavy, race light, look bright when needed, go stealth and under the radar, a rain bike seals the deal.
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 12-23-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Bill Dobie
    Yes. I was thinking this too. We called them gum walls when I was a young BMX'r 40 years ago...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    Instead of changing your Trek, buy a couple of colorful vintage bikes with those wild 80s&90s paintjobs.
    Been there, done that... below is a bike I built to relive my 80's childhood... Barely a black part on it!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 12-26-2019 at 09:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Almost all cables are internally routed on this bike, so that's not really an option. Seats don't really come in too many colors these days... black, white, and occasionally silver or red. I did the white seat thing already and that wasn't a good idea as it's too hard to keep nice looking.

That pretty much just leaves bar tape. Cinelli makes an interesting bar tape that adds a little color without being gaudy (IMHO)...

Beyond that, I'm not sure which tape would actually make the bike look nice and still function well. I'm a fan of LizardSkins DSP tape, but none of the color options really floated-my-boat.

Of course, there's always the little bits like colored headset spacers and the like, but I'd still need to pick a color for those that isn't purple

Just little there and there will make a big difference.

Blue chain, blue bolts, blue hanger, blue crankarm bolts.

https://www.amazon.com/State-Bicycle.../dp/B00CJW4U2G

https://www.amazon.com/Konenle-Derai.../dp/B07K7KZ99G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6x16mm-Tit...r=452314294648

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crankset-Cr...UAAOSwZf5d30lV

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    I forgot... blue jockey pulley .

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

What the what???

Ideas for Tastefully Adding Color to a Boring Black Bike

Well, if we’re offering up options for public ridicule...

Orange bar tape, cable housing, skewers, headset spacers, pedals, seat post clamp, stem cap, bottle cage bolts, chainring bolts and seat bag...

Flame away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Nothing wrong with your color choice. In terms of adding color, you have a huge advantage over me in that you have what looks like a titanium frame on a bike that has parts that can be replaced in various colors. I learned that if you heat titanium, you can make it turn all sorts of pretty colors... something you could try if you get really bored of the natural titanium color and are feeling adventurous

My Domane doesn't have skewers, exposed chain ring bolts, exposed cables, a seat clamp, or a choice of pedal colors (Shimano SPD-SL pedals only come in one flavor ), which radically limits what I can do to it.

Banned Sock Puppet

Orange bar tape, cable housing, skewers, headset spacers, pedals, seat post clamp, stem cap, bottle cage bolts, chainring bolts and seat bag...

Flame away!
    I kinda like the orange-silver combo here. Though I think the orange cables are a bit of overkill.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I kinda like the orange-silver combo here. Though I think the orange cables are a bit of overkill.
    Nah, the overkill was when I colored over the yellow Gatorskin logo on the tires with an orange sharpie...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I agree, colored cables are ... cheesie!
    They are too thin to amount to anything, kinda just distracting.

You ever thought of orange tires?
    I would not recommend putting a torch to your ti bike, I know I'm not!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Most professional vinyl cutters (and many amatuers) can scan the logos on your bike and cut graphics that match it exactly (within 1 mm or so).

A friend who used to work at a BMC shop in my town used to scan all of the logo designs as new bikes came in, and then pre-print colored replacement sets for people who wanted a different color. He sold quite a few bikes to people who were going to walk away because they didn't like the color scheme (BMC has made some questionable choices in this regard).

Someone would complain about the ugly color on the logs. He'd pull open a drawer and grab a handful of color options, and offer to print anything they wanted (within reason).

It also gave them the option to come back for something 'fresh' when they got tired of the existing choice.

Edit: you can often find the logos in graphics files on the internet that can be imported into software like adobe illustrator.

here is a video showing how the process works.

Last edited by Finx; 12-27-2019 at 02:40 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Flame away!
    ok, you asked for it...

the giant stack of colored spacers only brings attention to one seriously unattractive stem.

the pedal color doesn't match anything.

change both of those items to black and the other matchy-match stuff is sorta passable.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Banned Sock Puppet
    Nah, the overkill was when I colored over the yellow Gatorskin logo on the tires with an orange sharpie...
    I didn't even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    You ever thought of orange tires?
    That would be definite OVERKILL!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    PoorinR , your bike looks GREAT! Stick with posts that encourage gentle additions... It’s good as is. My perfect bike?

Attached Images Attached Images
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast