Ideas for Tastefully Adding Color to a Boring Black Bike - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    That would be definite OVERKILL!
    Agreed. Orange tires are a bridge too far... Even I have some standards...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

What the what???

Ideas for Tastefully Adding Color to a Boring Black Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    ok, you asked for it...

the giant stack of colored spacers only brings attention to one seriously unattractive stem.

the pedal color doesn't match anything.

change both of those items to black and the other matchy-match stuff is sorta passable.
    HA! You think that stem is unattractive. You should see the Velo Orange Cigne stem on my other bike. That thing is friggin' hideous!

But, hey, at least there are no spacers, right??? Slammed stem ftw!
    Last edited by Opus51569; 12-27-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    A friend who used to work at a BMC shop in my town used to scan all of the logo designs as new bikes came in, and then pre-print colored replacement sets for people who wanted a different color. He sold quite a few bikes to people who were going to walk away because they didn't like the color scheme (BMC has made some questionable choices in this regard).

Someone would complain about the ugly color on the logs. He'd pull open a drawer and grab a handful of color options, and offer to print anything they wanted (within reason).
    That guy was a freakin' genius! I wonder if he ever got in trouble from BMC... "What are you doing to our masterpieces!!!?!!?" I can pretty much bet Trek wouldn't allow a bike shop to do that as it would take-away sales from their super expensive Project 1 program.

I used to design vinyl decals for myself years ago but have lost my Adobe Illustrator skills as of late. The following site has various corporate logos, including Trek, in vector format. I suppose I could print the logo below on paper first to see if it's a match for my Domane's downtube logo...
    https://www.brandsoftheworld.com/log...ion?original=1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    ... I can pretty much bet Trek wouldn't allow a bike shop to do that as it would take-away sales from their super expensive Project 1 program...
    Trek would have every legal right to be upset if anyone is illegally doing this to their bikes. It's one thing to use your logo, but a different ball game when you are using a company's logo. I think any legitimate business owner who found someone doing this would not be too happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Trek would have every legal right to be upset if anyone is illegally doing this to their bikes. It's one thing to use your logo, but a different ball game when you are using a company's logo. I think any legitimate business owner who found someone doing this would not be too happy.
    I agree that Trek has every right to make money on their own product... I'm a fan of capitalism I'm merely stating what is likely to happen if a shop owner tried to create vinyl decals to change the color of a bike. I, however, as the owner of the bike have no issue with recoloring my bike's logos.

In my puny brain, I would think it would be a decent source of income to offer low cost color customization on a bike. For the majority of cyclists, programs like Trek's Project One isn't even an option due to cost. As stated in Finx's post, not being able to provide a bike in a color that the customer likes can easily cost the bike shop a sale... something that could be cheaply remedied. If I'm looking for a sub $1k bike and the Specialized dealer has one in a color I like and the Trek dealer doesn't, I'd buy the Specialized because there just aren't that many other reasons to buy one bike over the other short of brand loyalty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    My current leaning is still towards an "oil slick" / "jet fuel" theme... i.e., leave the TREK logo the color it is and accent my bike with "oil slick" colored components that somewhat match the purple-ish, color-changing TREK logo. While oil-slick colored bikes are a dime-a-dozen in the BMX world, I don't ever see road bikes decorated with such color. (Yeah, I know it's a bit too "blingy" for some, but I like it!)

I just found the following chain which I think I'm in-love with. It's basically a KMC super-light knock-off in a pretty color. The only thing I'm not fond of is that the quick-link isn't the same color as the chain!?!

Amazon: SUMC 11-Speed Hollow Diamond Coating Road/MTB Bicycle Chain -116 Links

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Once you own the bike you can change anything you want. The creation and use of a legally protected corporate logo however... thatís where Iíd think you have a problem. Iím no attorney though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you want to change the color of your logo, do you really think that Trek is going to come after U?
    Crazy.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    If you want to change the color of your logo, do you really think that Trek is going to come after U?
    Crazy.
    No, I donít think they would care, they are not Specialized after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    No, I donít think they would care, they are not Specialized after all.
    You beat me to the punch!

In reality, as long as you do the work yourself or have someone do it privately, it's a non-issue. Neither Trek, Specialized nor any other bike maker is sending reps out on the roads spying on riders to see what they have done with their bikes.

That being said, I doubt a bike shop would take the chance on losing their shirt. Both Trek and Specialized are known bullies to bike shops that sell their brands.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    When I was a kid, I longed for a pair of LOOK shoes, mostly because I've always liked the red, white, blue and yellow colors of the LOOK logo. I guess I haven't changed much because those colors on this very black LOOK track bike look great to me and could easily be done with some small bits of vinyl...

Not that anyone cares, but as a trip down memory lane, these are the shoes I lusted after as a kid until I finally saved-up enough to buy them. I should've kept them as they're now "vintage cycling shoes"...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 01-01-2020 at 01:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I was overhauling/rebuilding/upgrading a friends Diverge. He asked about adding some color to his drab carbon gray bike.

I had a few pieces of colored vinyl from Amazon, and applied a few high viz orange strips to his fork and chain stays. I heated a bit with a heat gun to set the adhesive, but I don't expect it to last more than a season (Depending on how much he rides). I cut a few extra strips of some extra red, orange, green and yellow, so he can replace them on a whim.

It's nothing fancy, but for a few $$ and a few minutes time invested, it added some splash to the bike. I also replaced his seatpost collar with one from Wolftooth (I think) and added some orange bar tape to the lower half of the bars.

The colors match better than the picture implies. The vinyl is reflective and shows much brighter on camera than it does in person.

Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Looks nice, Finx... not too much color, not too little. I normally don't care for two-tone handlebar tape, but I do on that bike. I always liked how Mavic put one colored spoke on some of their wheels.

I suspect how long the vinyl will last will largely depend on the grade of vinyl used and the color. Automotive grade vinyls should last longer and brighter colors have a tendency to fade quicker.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Looks nice, Finx... not too much color, not too little. I normally don't care for two-tone handlebar tape, but I do on that bike.
    Agreed. This is a nice splash of color, but does't scream "Look at me!".

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    not sure if its been mentioned but have you looked into shrink wrap? It opens up a whole new dimension, cheaper than a paint job and no warranty issues.If you tired of it, peel it off. No idea of the cost to see if it is economical or not. Finding places should not be too difficult, I would think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMoss View Post
    not sure if its been mentioned but have you looked into shrink wrap?
    I'm assuming you mean "vinyl wrap" like they do with cars. I did look into that and there are shops that specialize in bicycles, but I found a quality wrap costs as much as repainting a bike!

It's actually not as easy to apply as you'd think... at least not if you want it to look nice. The problem with wrapping a bike is that a frame has a ton of compound curves which are difficult to work with and no seams to hide the edges of the vinyl.

Here's one place that does bike wraps along with the pricing:
    https://www.bicyclemakeover.com/bicy...eover-packages

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Another simple, black bike with a bit 'o color...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    yes vinyl wrap, and I wasn't counting on those prices. Instead of the whole bike what about just the top tube (for example) for instance? I know that you really looking to add a color splash but aside from tape I think you may be highly limited. Although not splashy, but swapping out plain bolts for some color anodized bolts and then maybe a custom headset cap, all being the the same color? not the splash but its one of those the more you look the more it stands out? I've thought about doing that with mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    MY vinyl should be here this week, stay tuned!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMoss View Post
    yes vinyl wrap, and I wasn't counting on those prices. Instead of the whole bike what about just the top tube (for example) for instance? I know that you really looking to add a color splash but aside from tape I think you may be highly limited. Although not splashy, but swapping out plain bolts for some color anodized bolts and then maybe a custom headset cap, all being the the same color? not the splash but its one of those the more you look the more it stands out? I've thought about doing that with mine.
    My current thoughts are adding blue, purple, or "oil slick" bottle cages, headset spacers, and chain as there aren't many other components I can get to add color. I'd like a dark purple to match the down-tube logo, but purple anodized parts are often light purple so I'm hesitant to go that direction.

The frame has some glossy areas, like the inside of the fork and the top of the top-tube which I'd like to cover in vinyl (and vinyl will stick better on glossy vs matte). My issue is that I don't want it to look like a hack-job. Unless I can get vinyl that is pre-cut to fit, I'd have to run this risk of trimming it on the bike which I'd rather not do.
    MY vinyl should be here this week, stay tuned!
    woohoo! Can't wait to see it!

Banned Sock Puppet
    My current thoughts are adding blue, purple, or "oil slick" bottle cages, headset spacers, and chain as there aren't many other components I can get to add color. I'd like a dark purple to match the down-tube logo, but purple anodized parts are often light purple so I'm hesitant to go that direction.

The frame has some glossy areas, like the inside of the fork and the top of the top-tube which I'd like to cover in vinyl (and vinyl will stick better on glossy vs matte). My issue is that I don't want it to look like a hack-job. Unless I can get vinyl that is pre-cut to fit, I'd have to run this risk of trimming it on the bike which I'd rather not do.
    Water bottles are obviously the easiest place to throw in some color. Then handlebar tape and possibly a seatpost clamp? The headset spacers are a neat idea to add color in bits and pieces, but be careful that you know what you're doing putting it back together as a headset mistake you only make once.

If you're interested in a bigger project, wheel nipples come in all different colors.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Then handlebar tape and possibly a seatpost clamp? The headset spacers are a neat idea to add color in bits and pieces, but be careful that you know what you're doing putting it back together as a headset mistake you only make once.
    My bike has no seat post clamp, so that's out. I have a real struggle with colored handlebar tape since the only color currently on my bike is a semi iridescent blue/purple metallic color on the Trek logo. I'm just going to resort to black since any tape I've found that is remotely close to that color looks kind of cheesy to me.... unless I decide to go all-crazy and cover the Trek logo with a completely different color that I could then match the tape to, kind of like the black and orange 3T bike I posted earlier.

As for headset spacers, since my bike is brand new, the fork hasn't been cut (yet) and I haven't figured-out where my stem height will be. I've typically been putting one 5 mm spacer below the stem which I don't even think I need on my new Domane. As such, I'll likely only put one 5 mm spacer above the stem and/or get a fancy colored stem cap. I really like the Supakaz "oil slick" headset spacers, but I only need 1 and they only sell them in packs of 4 for $40

If you're interested in a bigger project, wheel nipples come in all different colors.
    Darn you, Lombard!!!! I freekin' love that idea! Why I don't like it that I love that idea is that I did this on one of my BMX bike builds... blue spokes on a chrome wheel. After building those wheels, I told myself I'd never do it again. However, I think it'd look super bad-ass to convert my black rim, black spoke wheels to have colored nipples. You are now my most and least favorite RoadBikeReview member

Is there any spoke nipple manufacturer you prefer that makes nipples in colors? Are aluminum nipples all there are? Some titanium "oil slick" nipples would be 'da bomb! I think I'll ask my LBS how much it would cost for them to rebuild my wheels. I don't have a truing stand and for as little as I do this kind of work, I just can't justify buying one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Some titanium "oil slick" nipples would be 'da bomb! I think I'll ask my LBS how much it would cost for them to rebuild my wheels. I don't have a truing stand and for as little as I do this kind of work, I just can't justify buying one.
    I'm going to save you a weeks worth of spare time work... .... just put vinyl tape around the nipple heads. You can't have exposed nipples in most states anyway, it's a LAW! ... well I guess you can if your a guy, isn't that sexist?
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Darn you, Lombard!!!! I freekin' love that idea! ..........

........You are now my most and least favorite RoadBikeReview member

Is there any spoke nipple manufacturer you prefer that makes nipples in colors? Are aluminum nipples all there are?
    Personally, I like DT Swiss spokes and nipples. Unfortunately, I have never seen brass nipples in any colors besides silver and black. If you wanted to go blue, you would need to go alloy. When I build my wheels, I err on the side of robust vs. light weight, so I prefer brass. However, if you're not heavy, don't ride in foul weather and most importantly the quality of your wheel build is top notch, you would be fine with alloy.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    You can't have exposed nipples in most states anyway, it's a LAW!
    In Madison, our wacked-out state capitol city, there's this thing called "the naked bike ride" where apparently they get around putting tape on their nipples... or anything else for that matter. I've never seen it and I can't imagine I'd want to either. We're not exactly a rich, young, pretty and tan group of folks here in the MidWest

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast