Ideas for Tastefully Adding Color to a Boring Black Bike - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    However, if you're not heavy, don't ride in foul weather and most importantly the quality of your wheel build is top notch, you would be fine with alloy.
    Yeah, I'm only ~165 lbs and only ride in bad weather when sneaks-up on my when I'm riding.

According to the specs of the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V TLR wheels, the spoke nipples are already "alloy locking" (Not sure what the "locking" part means.)

As long as I'm considering this insane color change, why not do colored spokes as well!??! My mountain bike has Industry Nine wheels with red spokes, hubs, and nipples. A black road bike with colored spokes isn't something you see every day fo' sure...

Color! Except I'd have to look for color bladed spokes or I'd be taking a step backwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 01-06-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Yeah, I'm only ~165 lbs and only ride in bad weather when sneaks-up on my when I'm riding.

According to the specs of the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V TLR wheels, the spoke nipples are already "alloy locking" (Not sure what the "locking" part means.)

As long as I'm considering this insane color change, why not do colored spokes as well!??! My mountain bike has Industry Nine wheels with red spokes, hubs, and nipples. A black road bike with colored spokes isn't something you see every day fo' sure...

Color! Except I'd have to look for color bladed spokes or I'd be taking a step backwards.
    Hmmm. I kinda like it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Unfortunately, finding any spokes that match the specs of my existing spokes is nearly impossible. Finding them also in a color is like looking for a unicorn. I also find out that Bontrager does use what looks like a proprietary locking spoke nipple, which also is impossible to find. I managed to find this picture of them in red, but I can't actually buy them (even if I wanted red):

Banned Sock Puppet
    Unfortunately, finding any spokes that match the specs of my existing spokes is nearly impossible. Finding them also in a color is like looking for a unicorn. I also find out that Bontrager does use what looks like a proprietary locking spoke nipple, which also is impossible to find. I managed to find this picture of them in red, but I can't actually buy them (even if I wanted red):
    That is what I don't like about factory wheels. Much of the time, parts are proprietary and not replaceable. This is why I like to either build my own wheels, have them built by a local builder or find hand spun wheels.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    That is what I don't like about factory wheels. Much of the time, parts are proprietary and not replaceable. This is why I like to either build my own wheels, have them built by a local builder or find hand spun wheels.
    I'm feeling like a repressed artist... I have a grand vision that I cannot make a reality In the mountain bike world, you can buy gazillions of components in gazillions of colors, but not-so-much in the road bike world. We're all being repressed!!!

Color choices aside and a little off-topic, I've started to warm-up to proprietary components... at least when they work. Being a Trek-nerd, I've been running various Bontrager wheels for quite a few years and have been very pleased with them. They stay true, seem very durable, and are competitive as far as weight is concerned. Other than my wild idea to customize the colors of my wheels, I have never had a need to replace a spoke so I guess it doesn't matter (at the moment) if Bontrager uses their own custom stuff.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I'm feeling like a repressed artist... I have a grand vision that I cannot make a reality In the mountain bike world, you can buy gazillions of components in gazillions of colors, but not-so-much in the road bike world. We're all being repressed!!!
    Not true. Look at all the hub colors White Inudstry hubs come in - road and mountain. Now you're really going to hate me.

HUBS — White Industries

Check out their other components. Look, colors!

ALL PRODUCTS — White Industries

HEADSETS — White Industries

BSA — White Industries

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Self: "Hmm... What if I buy a bag of Bontrager spoke nipples and spokes and have them refinished in a color I want (if that's even a thing)?"

Self: "Time to move-on. You don't have an unlimited budget to add a little color to your bike. Your dreams are crushed. Deal with it."

Banned Sock Puppet
    Self: "Hmm... What if I buy a bag of Bontrager spoke nipples and spokes and have them refinished in a color I want (if that's even a thing)?"

Self: "Time to move-on. You don't have an unlimited budget to add a little color to your bike. Your dreams are crushed. Deal with it."
    If you went with just the nipples, I doubt that would cost much and it would still add a bit-o-color. Same with headset spacers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Cannondale sure does a classy black frame...

I'm thinking about ordering some of this matte auto-vinyl and playing around. Hopefully this matches the "TREK" logo on my bike. Figure that for only $12, I won't care if it doesn't look good.

VINYL FROG Chameleon Vinyl Wrap Matte Metallic Vehicle Film Purple to Blue Stretchable Air Release DIY Decals 11.8"x60"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Cannondale sure does a classy black frame...

I'm thinking about ordering some of this matte auto-vinyl and playing around. Hopefully this matches the "TREK" logo on my bike. Figure that for only $12, I won't care if it doesn't look good.

VINYL FROG Chameleon Vinyl Wrap Matte Metallic Vehicle Film Purple to Blue Stretchable Air Release DIY Decals 11.8"x60"

Be careful that you can peel it off if you decide you don't like it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Be careful that you can peel it off if you decide you don't like it.
    That's the beauty of vinyl and why people wrap their cars with it.... you no-likey, you peal off. Worse case scenario, might have to add a little heat with a heat gun, but I've worked with some pretty sticky vinyl in the past and never had an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Kind of excited about this product I just found:

https://www.langeman.com/edge-cuttin.../about-wrapcut

This tape allows for cleanly cutting vinyl wraps w/o using a razor blade. Why this is huge, at least for me, is that I'd ideally like to wrap the inside of my fork blade with vinyl. On my bike, the inside of the fork is gloss black and the outside is matte black. Covering the gloss area with vinyl would normally be hard as I'd want a cut/trim the vinyl exactly where the two paint surfaces meet... but without using a knife on my bike! This "WrapCut" tape makes that possible.

For example...

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 01-10-2020 at 12:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Trying go decide if I like my new bottle cages or not. They definitely add some color, but they're not as blue/purple as I had hoped. The weight-weenie in me is happy with them, however, as they weigh next to nothing.

* I don't understand why my uploaded pictures keep disappearing from my posts
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the Trek Domane line I think the SL-7 is easily the best bang for the buck made by Trek. Great wheels, and electronic drive train. It's a mystery why they offer it in only one color.

About a year ago there was Trek Rep that was a member here and he answered member questions. I pointed out the one color only issue with the SL 7 and he said that was marketing that made those decisions but he would pass along my remark. Guess they didn't listen.

It is literally a "It doesn't make any sense" why they would only offer one color even when the next year's model comes out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    In the Trek Domane line I think the SL-7 is easily the best bang for the buck made by Trek.
    I think this is why the SL-7 is black, unfortunately. Trek probably knows which bike in their line-up is going to be the most popular so they paint it in the safest / least offensive color known to man... black. My 2014 Domane w/ Ultrega is also black and the only other color option available at the time was... wait for it... white.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Doesn't Trek have in their business model, they'll paint any bike any color for $$$?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Doesn't Trek have in their business model, they'll paint any bike any color for $$$?
    Shhh ...don’t tell em that, you’ll spoil this thread
    and create a whole new dilemma for the OP.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Riiiiight:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Auvf7DDw5z0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Shhh ...don’t tell em that, you’ll spoil this thread
    and create a whole new dilemma for the OP.
    I live an hour from Trek HQ in Waterloo, WI and am aware of their Project 1 program. While I think it's nice that they offer custom paint, that program makes their already expensive bikes even more crazy expensive. Not only that, the P1 program isn't available for any bike they sell. For example, the Domane SL-7 isn't part of the P1 program, only the SLR-7 is and prices start at $8,300 which really isn't for custom paint, it's the starting point for you to choose one of the color choices they offer. Yikes. $8,300?!?!?!?!

I bought my bike used for $2k less than retail... so I'm more than willing to put-up with boring black

I did find a place in CA that custom paints carbon bikes with prices starting at $600. While even that is a bit rich for my blood, that's less than premium Trek's P1 program is charging.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my opinion, Project 1 is a grossly overpriced joke.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    So now I have a headache. I thought I wasn't a purple fan until I saw the bike in this video. I think carbon + dark purple = hawtness

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    In my opinion, Project 1 is a grossly overpriced joke.
    Why you think this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Why you think this?
    Domane is 12K. Madone is 8.5K.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Domane is 12K. Madone is 8.5K.
    Granted that is your opinion...

true but to be fair, a pair of cycling shoes can be had for $50 or $500. A set of wheels can be had for $500 or $3,500
    Just because something is pricey, should not make it a joke.

and PoorInRichField... You wanted a purple pop. Not purple color. The more time you spend debating it, the more doubt you will have. Start small and then go from there. There is always that one brush stroke that makes it perfect and then there is that one brushstroke that takes it too far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did I just hear me ...less is more?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast