Import Duty into the USA - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe....can't find too many details as to what it applies too and if legit or just another DHL scam.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have an order coming from UK via DHL. It's about $200 in stuff. No duty fee.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xSpokeLifex View Post
    Reviving this thread in hopes that someone may have some knowledge greater than me on this, but I got hit with an email from DHL this morning saying that for a bike I purchased from Merlin cycles in the UK there would be a $496 duty fee. That seemed really high, so I called DHL and apparently that is legitimate (according to them).
    It likely includes customs clearance fees in addition to import duties. DHL should send you a breakdown of the charges.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Maybe....can't find too many details as to what it applies too and if legit or just another DHL scam.
    Yes, it's legit. DHL is actually doing you a favor, by clearing the item through U.S. Customs for you. The alternative is to do it yourself or hire a third party customs broker.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    DHL paid the import duties for you, and is now transferring the costs to you. You can thank the trade war with.... well with just about everyone that is currently ongoing. Items 800 and under are exempt from Import Duties currently.

See the picture below... Looks like your tariff is 11% plus fees (I was wrong, original statement "tariff is 30% !!!!!!!")

Attached Images Attached Images

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Merlin's website is pretty vague on duties.
    Worldwide deliveries vary depending on your country, please visit our postage page for specific details. Customs duties/tax - Please note for non EU countries there may be customs/import duties to pay depending on the value of the goods, these are the responsibility of the customer. If you are unsure please check your local customs office, most have online information about import duties and or taxes.

Probikekit is less vague
    Pay no import duty on orders up to $800 - click here for a list of products under $800

Wiggle is really good
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/international##duty
    Will I have to pay duty or import taxes when ordering to the US?
    No, not if you spend less than $800

When ordering from Wiggle you are considered the importer of record. US Customs Duty Threshold is $800 (and $100 for gifts). Therefore, orders under $800 (and under $100 for gifts) are free from duties and import taxes. The customs territory of the US includes the 50 US States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
    Shop Now for the latest Wiggle Goods Stuff <800
    Shop Now for Cycling Components <$800

Yes, if you spend $800+ your order will be subject to duties and import taxes, which must be paid by you

When ordering from Wiggle you are considered the importer of record. Orders over $800 (and over $100 for gifts) are subject to duties and import taxes, which must be paid by yourself. Unfortunately we have no control over these charges. We are unable to reimburse any costs incurred regardless of the circumstances.
    As a guide, duties and import taxes are made up of the components below. For official advice, visit the US Customs and Border Protection website internet purchases information.

Import Duty rates calculated on the value of each product within your order, not just on the order value above $800 duty threshold. Rates vary by product, but rates for popular products include Cycle Parts at 10%, Road Bikes at 11%
    Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF) for orders under $2,500 this is typically $2-9 per shipment.
    Sales Tax is not automatically charged on imported goods. However, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) declarations are made available to state tax representatives that may claim state taxes from yourself.
    Payment deferment is a handling fee charged by express couriers to pay for customs brokers who expedite imports and deliver straight to your door. This charge is typically $6.50, but can vary and we have no control over this charge.

USA Duty Paid on All Bikes*
    All Customs duties due on bike purchases for US orders will be paid by Wiggle. This will be applied automatically at Checkout.
    *For US Bike orders only. Please place orders for bikes separately from other goods
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    That's the best description I've ever found, thanks. Looks like Merlin just does a shite job of describing the fees...$469 duty fees on a $3100 item, pushing 16%...ridiculous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    That's the best description I've ever found, thanks. Looks like Merlin just does a shite job of describing the fees...$469 duty fees on a $3100 item, pushing 16%...ridiculous.
    It would be a monumental task for Merlin to know all the fees in advance, given the number of countries they ship to.

DHL is passing the $341 (11%) import duties on to you, and charging $128 for clearance fees that's not out of line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Just found this out.
    Watch out for this everyone-Merlin cycles incorrectly declared the ammount I paid in USD as GBP, and as a result, DHL charged fees based on the conversion. This is a screw up on MErlin's part, hopefully not intentionally, but still saves another $50-75 dollars US.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12