Import Duty into the USA
    tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Import Duty into the USA

I know there have been threads on import duty for buying online. Looking at a wheelset from the UK costs around $1K USA - does anyone know if the 10% import duty for items over $800 dollars is on the full value amount of purchase ($1,0000) or only for the amount over the $800 ($200)?

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo...rnet-purchases

I understand there will also be processing fees.

Thanks,

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Here's my experience with importing stuff from the UK. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of components, tires, etc. from Ribble. Many packages exceed $800. Never paid any duty. I bought two sets of Campy Neutron wheels that were $650 a set from Ribble. No duty. I bought a Colnago frame from Maestro that was around $2800. I paid duty on that, and a fee. I think it was around $200.

Frankly, I think its a crap shoot. Big operations like Ribble pass it off to the USPS once it arrives in the U.S. Maestro used DHS from his shop to my home.

OK ... so I didn't answer you're question, but those are my experiences. If you do get dinged for duty, I'd bet almost anything its for the whole amount. Who are you buying it from? If its someplace like Ribble or Chain Reaction, my bet is that there won't be any duty.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    It all depends on who the shipper is. If it comes USPS or Royal Mail, you might fly under the radar....otherwise FedEx/UPS/DHL will ding you--and expect 20%+ extra on the bill between tariffs and "convenience" "fees" COD.

Frankly for something like wheels....given warranty/RMA service...buy them in the US, you aren't likely to "save" money.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Frankly for something like wheels....given warranty/RMA service...buy them in the US, you aren't likely to "save" money.
    Yeah, that's the way I was leaning, but PBK just started a sale that's $400 less than anything I can find within the USA. So even at estimated 20%+ fees, it is still a big difference, just trying to weigh the options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have purchased several wheelsets from PBK, Ribble, and Merlin, even before they raised the allowance and never had to pay add'l duty. I did order from a shop in Germany and got hit with duty, but it was less than 5% as I recall.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Frankly, if its almost half off, I'd go for it. I've never heard of anyone warrantying a wheel., so what good will buying it in the U.S. to get some warranty that's probably impossible to collect on anyway?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I've never heard of anyone warrantying a wheel., so what good will buying it in the U.S. to get some warranty that's probably impossible to collect on anyway?
    A bit OT from the duty fees issue, but warranty issues do arise. Over the past 5 years I know 3 guys in my regional cycling club (2,000+ members) who have had wheels warrantied here in the US by major brands. About 8 yrs ago I had a MTB frame replaced under warranty, which was no questions asked since I bought from an authorized US dealer. Not sure how these warranty issues would have been handled had the wheels & frame not been purchased from authorized US retailers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019
    Like others, I've ordered large items from PBK, Ribble, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Evans, and a few others. In all that time, I've only been hit once and it was on a complete bike shipped DHL.

tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    yeah, like you you say, I luckily got away with no import duty or processing fees on my wheel order. So I don't know whether the duty would apply to entire amount or just the amount over US$800.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last week I pulled the trigger and spent $1,513 on a DA Di2 upgrade kit from Merlin Cycles UK. I received it yesterday from UPS in Salt Lake City. No duty, no delay, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Last week I pulled the trigger and spent $1,513 on a DA Di2 upgrade kit from Merlin Cycles UK. I received it yesterday from UPS in Salt Lake City. No duty, no delay, no problem.

you may be getting a bill from UPS - let us know if you do please.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    you may be getting a bill from UPS - let us know if you do please.
    Is that even a thing? I think that’s highly unlikely. Why would UPS pay a duty for me? I’ll let you know if I get a bill.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is that even a thing? I think that’s highly unlikely. Why would UPS pay a duty for me? I’ll let you know if I get a bill.

Oh yes. I ordered a power meter from Canada, FedEx delivery. Got an invoice from FedEx in the mail about a week later for customs charge plus service fees.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Oh yes. I ordered a power meter from Canada, FedEx delivery. Got an invoice from FedEx in the mail about a week later for customs charge plus service fees.
    Unless there was a shipping agreement when you purchased the PM you shouldn’t pay that charge! There might have been fine print verbiage that has that “I agree” box that needs to be checked before advancing the purchase. If not then they will have a hard time collecting anything after sale and delivery. In the US there are consumer protection laws on full price disclosure at time of purchase. Charging anything after the purchase that wasn’t agreed to by the customer is not illegal, but legally you don’t have to pay if that makes sense.

As a business owner I get “bills” several times a year from advertising to state license/regulations stuff. The bills look legit and often use logos almost identical to state agencies and phone book letter head on their “payment coupon”. They are bogus mass mailed scam but they can keep the money if you send it in.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Did you pay it? I assume it was a trivial amount. The only time I ever paid a duty charge was for a Colnago frame that I bought new in the UK. It came UPS and I was required to write a check to some guy for $250 who handled the import. The UPS guy said they would only accept a check -- no cash or CC -- and they would not leave the package with me until I wrote out a check. Dumbass guy tried to deliver it to my neighbor. Luckily I was home and spotted him.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Unless there was a shipping agreement when you purchased the PM you shouldn’t pay that charge! There might have been fine print verbiage that has that “I agree” box that needs to be checked before advancing the purchase. If not then they will have a hard time collecting anything after sale and delivery. In the US there are consumer protection laws on full price disclosure at time of purchase. Charging anything after the purchase that wasn’t agreed to by the customer is not illegal, but legally you don’t have to pay if that makes sense.

As a business owner I get “bills” several times a year from advertising to state license/regulations stuff. The bills look legit and often use logos almost identical to state agencies and phone book letter head on their “payment coupon”. They are bogus mass mailed scam but they can keep the money if you send it in.
    Those laws basically aren't enforced. What is more, generally foreign entities wash their hands openly regarding customs/imports fees. They don't know, they cannot tell you if you ask. You order it is all on you. Sure you can fight it--but it'll cost you 10X the tariffs/etc just to retain a lawyer.

You don't have to pay it...but, generally, COD for the import fees/tariffs is demanded for your goods at the door. You don't pay, then you don't get your goods.

The hell of it...is generally companies like FedEx/UPS/DHL will wrongly apply HST code to your goods---dinging an entire box's value at say 10%, as opposed to the one item within the box at 10%...and not only will they wrongly apply tariffs code, they'll bill you for the "convenience" of wrongly charging you in addition to the tariffs. And the "convenience fee" is as big or bigger than the tariff.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Did you pay it? I assume it was a trivial amount. The only time I ever paid a duty charge was for a Colnago frame that I bought new in the UK. It came UPS and I was required to write a check to some guy for $250 who handled the import. The UPS guy said they would only accept a check -- no cash or CC -- and they would not leave the package with me until I wrote out a check. Dumbass guy tried to deliver it to my neighbor. Luckily I was home and spotted him.
    Yes, and it wasn't a trivial amount, around 10% of item as I recall. I initially ignored it, but FedEx kept sending reminders and eventually threatened me with debt collection. I didn't want to risk my credit being dinged on this, so decided to pay it off.

RoadBikeReview Member

To follow up for those who are curious, I didn’t receive a bill from UPS for any tariffs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    To follow up for those who are curious, I didn’t receive a bill from UPS for any tariffs.

how did you pay them?
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    how did you pay them?
    I paid Merlin the purchase price plus shipping. That’s it. I did some searching and can’t see that I owe anything tariffs to any governments for this. And nobody has billed me for any.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    U.S. law allows FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. to clear items through U.S. customs without prior permission from the recipient, and then collect clearance fees and any applicable duties from the recipient of the items. You can fight them if you like, but the law is on their side.