Incident with Motorist

Printable View

  • 08-10-2019
    PBL450
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    The Amazon specs and reviews answer your questions.

    You do realize online reviews are 60-75% fake right? You cant possibly be that naive... Skewing ratings is big business. Hell, the small
    Healthcare company I work for has a contract to manage and create fake content. And, after looking, I dont think, even the fake posts, really answer the question. It works great, buy it!! Yeah, Im all in on that review. I stopped a Pit Bull in its tracks! Sure. Im banking my safety on that internet review! Haha.
  • 08-10-2019
    Peter P.
    [QUOTE=SauronHimself] If a motorist goes out of their way to 1) stop when they had no valid reason and 2) leave the protection of their metal cage, they're not doing so just to talk. To most reasonable cyclists that's an immediate signal the motorist wants to start something.

    You're drawing the assumption the driver is exiting the vehicle and approaching the cyclist in a manor suggesting he intends to act, rather than continue the verbal barrage. For sure; every situation is different, and I assumed from the post of No Time Toulouse that when he wrote, "he got out of the truck to confront him" that would not be the case. Too many "what if's" to say the cyclist would be justified in acting first. In fact, acting first puts the burden of proof on the person who acted first. From your response above, you've already decided if they exit the vehicle, you're going to hit/mace them before they say or do anything. Like I said, you may or may not have a valid legal defense for that. It all depends on the courts and lawyers at that point.



    You're asking why a cyclist wouldn't try to escape from a motor vehicle that can outrun them in seconds? All the motorist has to do is hop back in his/her vehicle and pound the gas pedal.


    From NTT's scenario, or any similar scenario, I would think it wise to not remount the bike until the driver had left the scene. For sure; there's no guarantee the driver won't drive around the block and come back for revenge, but you can't control every situation, just make the best decisions with the information at hand.


    Given the aforementioned reasons I just listed, it would indeed be a fight-or-flight response with reasonable perception of imminent harm.
  • 08-10-2019
    Peter P.
    I saw somewhere on-line a demonstration of the Kimber Pepper Blaster by a cyclist. Its design is more effective in windy conditions and even if the cyclist is moving. I believe the gel is colored, so you can see where it lands on the target and adjust if necessary.

    Its limitations seem to be the number of blasts it can provide; two, I think. In a panic situation your aim may not be accurate and two chances may not be enough. The device is larger than some smaller, personal use mace devices. Some companies do sell practice canisters which shoot an inert aerosol. You must aim for the face for it to be effective.

    All self-defense aerosol type products have a shelf life. See the manufacturer's web site for details.
  • 08-11-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    You do realize online reviews are 60-75% fake right? You cant possibly be that naive... Skewing ratings is big business. Hell, the small
    Healthcare company I work for has a contract to manage and create fake content. And, after looking, I dont think, even the fake posts, really answer the question. It works great, buy it!! Yeah, Im all in on that review. I stopped a Pit Bull in its tracks! Sure. Im banking my safety on that internet review! Haha.

    If you are looking for useful info in online reviews, first you have to discount all the 5-star reviews (sockpuppets), and all the 1-star reviews (mad people and competitors), then look for the informative reviews that don't use a lot of platitudes.

    BTW, that Amazon gel spray must be good stuff; they won't ship it to New York state!
  • 08-11-2019
    MR_GRUMPY
    Find out where he lives and burn his house down.....Problem solved.
  • 08-11-2019
    ogre
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Find out where he lives and burn his house down.....Problem solved.

    And sleep with his wife
  • 08-13-2019
    Notvintage
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    If you ARE an arrogant biker claiming ownership of the road, don't stick around when some motorist challenges your game. Get the hell out of there.

    Best advice on this thread. Never know when someone has just flipped their lid. Best live another day.
  • 08-13-2019
    nayr497
    Sorry to read about your experience. Wow, numerous other interactions like this with local cyclists? This guy is clearly a menace.

    My city is going through a serious boom. More cars on the road, more traffic...more motorists angry and impatient with having to sit in traffic. So I'm seeing a lot more lawless driving and a lot more people eager to yell at someone, including those not even driving a car.

    I generally try to just ignore the entire situation. If I can't ignore it, I try to very clearly advise them to get the heck away from me, save their breath, and stop threatening me.
  • 08-13-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    And sleep with his wife

    And his mom. The one-two punch.
  • 08-13-2019
    Wookiebiker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Even if no charges could be pressed, I would think some kind of record would be made so that if future complaints come in, something might eventually be done. That's nice that the police were so supportive in your case.

    It is very important to have every potentially dangerous incident documented with the police. You never know when the individual will cross the line and actually act on their behaviors/threats. If incidents are not documented, it will look like a first time offense and likely little will happen ... however, if the individual has had 20 incidents called in on them, it shows a pattern and they are not a first time offender. More dire consequences await them and if it comes down to injuries, you have a case against the guy for damages to you.

    Always, always document any situations you can with the police department ... even if it's just calling in, giving them the plate number and vehicle description so a report can be written.


    BTW ... incidents like that are an almost weekly experience around here. I can't tell you how many horns have been blasted at me, how many people need to tell me where/when I can ride, how much diesel exhaust I've inhaled (rolling coal), how many bottles and cans have been thrown at me, how many times I've been "Brake Checked" and how much spit has come my way while on a bike.

    One of the reasons I'm moving more toward gravel roads ... people are nice, wave, drive slower and cautiously.
  • 08-13-2019
    PBL450
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    It is very important to have every potentially dangerous incident documented with the police. You never know when the individual will cross the line and actually act on their behaviors/threats. If incidents are not documented, it will look like a first time offense and likely little will happen ... however, if the individual has had 20 incidents called in on them, it shows a pattern and they are not a first time offender. More dire consequences await them and if it comes down to injuries, you have a case against the guy for damages to you.

    Always, always document any situations you can with the police department ... even if it's just calling in, giving them the plate number and vehicle description so a report can be written.


    BTW ... incidents like that are an almost weekly experience around here. I can't tell you how many horns have been blasted at me, how many people need to tell me where/when I can ride, how much diesel exhaust I've inhaled (rolling coal), how many bottles and cans have been thrown at me, how many times I've been "Brake Checked" and how much spit has come my way while on a bike.

    One of the reasons I'm moving more toward gravel roads ... people are nice, wave, drive slower and cautiously.

    Wow. I live on the Jersey Shore. Youd think the capital of rude, aggressive people and especially rude, aggressive drivers. I ride the most expensive real estate in the country and abject poverty on the same ride. I cant remember a single incident of being honked at, yelled at, thrown objects at? Rare incident with a driver, but rare. I ride pretty heavy traffic volume as well. Drivers in the really poor area are super polite. I ride a long stretch of a blighted downtown with lights and parked cars and alleys and busy stores. I hold up traffic, sometimes for 2 or 3 blocks and nothing. A smile and wave. I always say thank you! The windows are always open this time of year.

    Im curious where you ride?
  • 08-13-2019
    Wookiebiker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Im curious where you ride?

    Portland, OR Suburbs.

    It's listed as a great place to ride, and Portland can be, as can the suburbs. The problem is massive growth in the area! Everybody is moving here and all the main roads are clogged, so people are now taking backroads more and more to get around. Cyclists are nothing more than obstacles on the road to them.

    This incident took place not more than a half mile from my house on a road I've ridden on thousands of times: https://katu.com/news/local/cyclist-..._S1ot613UFGZ5o

    Same crap, different day!
  • 08-13-2019
    BCSaltchucker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Drivers in the really poor area are super polite. I ride a long stretch of a blighted downtown with lights and parked cars and alleys and busy stores. I hold up traffic, sometimes for 2 or 3 blocks and nothing. A smile and wave. I always say thank you! The windows are always open this time of year.

    Im curious where you ride?

    One part of the new beautiful separated bike lanes downtown goes through skid row here. Not only are the hundred or so mostly homeless addicts wobbling around there friendly and seemingly harmless, one of them has a big sign saying 'be nice to cyclists', no kidding.
  • 08-14-2019
    jlandry
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    And sleep with his wife

    Tough to do in a burning house, I'd still hit it.
  • 08-14-2019
    jlandry
    You never know who you're messing with.
    Was driving, when a pickup truck cut me off. I honk the horn with no response, so I follow him thinking it was some jacka$$ kid. Guy finally stops in a parking lot and this giant-muscle-bound-steroid freak gets out, raging and asking what my problem was...

    Of course, as I'm driving away, my wife is mouthing off to him.
  • 08-14-2019
    bvber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    Tough to do in a burning house, I'd still hit it.

    As they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D10jNMGxbQw/hqdefault.jpg