Installing a Garmin Edge 305 Cad - battery upside down

Sep 2005

Installing a Garmin Edge 305 Cad - battery upside down

So I bought a Garmin Edge 305, HR and Cad. Installed it yesterday and the darn Cad unit wouldn't work. Little test light doesn't turn on. Just no workie. Decided to replace the battery (good for Garmin, it is a standard CR2032 and you can get replacements everywhere) and see if that made it go. Opened the battery compartment and they installed the battery upside down at the factory!

Now, I don't know if they are doing this on all the units or if it is documented in the fine print, but how does a normal person figure this out? There are no markings inside the compartment to tell you that neg - needs to be up. Anyone else have this problem?

So far, seems like a really well designed and thought out product. The documentation is pretty light on some critical details. For example, battery install, installing the speedo flag on the cadence meter (you had better figure out that backing out the screw will allow it to move), and what map to buy. Found a reasonable forum http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/in...0dd&board=55.0 to look at for map stuff.

Going for my first road test after lunch today.

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwestern Biker Dude
    So I bought a Garmin Edge 305, HR and Cad. Installed it yesterday and the darn Cad unit wouldn't work. Little test light doesn't turn on. Just no workie. Decided to replace the battery (good for Garmin, it is a standard CR2032 and you can get replacements everywhere) and see if that made it go. Opened the battery compartment and they installed the battery upside down at the factory!

Now, I don't know if they are doing this on all the units or if it is documented in the fine print, but how does a normal person figure this out? There are no markings inside the compartment to tell you that neg - needs to be up. Anyone else have this problem?

So far, seems like a really well designed and thought out product. The documentation is pretty light on some critical details. For example, battery install, installing the speedo flag on the cadence meter (you had better figure out that backing out the screw will allow it to move), and what map to buy. Found a reasonable forum http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/in...0dd&board=55.0 to look at for map stuff.

Going for my first road test after lunch today.
    It would seem that they are doing this in all/most of their units to save on battery useage. Mine was also upside down, and I only found out after installing the unit then having to cut the zip ties to find out why it wasn't working. It would have been nice if they mentioned this somewhere in the directions or packaging before installation! Now if they would just make it a better fit on my Roubaix I'd be all set!
    Last edited by Davesnhere; 02-27-2006 at 08:15 AM.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere
    Now if they would just make it a better fit on my Roubaix I'd be all set!
    I had to put the little arm up to catch the wheel magnet and lean the cad sensor toward the pedal to catch the wheel magnet. I have a Giant CF bike that makes for a weird fit. On my bike there just isn't enough room for the wheel sensor between the spokes and stay, so you are going up with the arm. I guess two units might work better, but that means a lot more complexity.

I figure that I'm going to ride several thousand miles a year and I am replacing parts, breaking things and fixing things all year. A $15 arm or new batteries are part and parcel of the deal.

The question I like to ask myself in moments like installing the Cad sensor, is given unlimited time and money how would I fix this? Then given limited money per unit. I didn't come up with a better answer, so I guess it is fine with me. It seems to work and it is cheap.

I guess there must be a different thread about your fit problems I'll go read now.

Mar 2005

Speaking of Batteries

Have fun with it. I love mine.

Does anyone know if the factory will replace the eternal rechargeble battery in the actual unit. That is one of my complaints about it. They say they do that to keep the unit light, but I will be upset if I find out it is a disposable unit.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Have fun with it. I love mine.

Does anyone know if the factory will replace the eternal rechargeble battery in the actual unit. That is one of my complaints about it. They say they do that to keep the unit light, but I will be upset if I find out it is a disposable unit.
    I think this is going to be like the iPod. Recharge it 200 or 300 times and the battery will not work well anymore. Then we will have to ask the company to help us. These batteries have the best price/performance right now. I guess they worry about replacement only after the device is successful?

Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct 2005
    I just put one of these on my bike. There was a label on the plastic bag that the cadence sensor came in that said to open the battery door and make sure the "+" was up.

maybe you got one that didn't have the label. Glad you figured it out. I would have never though of that.