Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Invisibility

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,164

    Invisibility

    ... is real



    Now, share this with friends & family.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,075
    I have a set of big prop boobies mounted on the front of my moto, I never have a problem.

  3. #3
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,808
    Every night I come home lately, I see several of my neighbors outside practicing invisibility; walking their dogs wearing nothing but black.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,884
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Every night I come home lately, I see several of my neighbors outside practicing invisibility; walking their dogs wearing nothing but black.....
    I can't tell you how many riders I've see wearing black head to toe, with no lights, blowing red lights and stop signs, AT NIGHT. Can you say Darwin award?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,449
    riding today , a car does this u-turn at slow speed and almost runs into me. i yelled out and he stopped. tells me i'm he live there and is very respectful of cyclists further saying it wasn't his fault, all his windows were covered with fog.

    who the hell drives with windows they can't see out of?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Every night I come home lately, I see several of my neighbors outside practicing invisibility; walking their dogs wearing nothing but black.....
    I see several elephants in pink thongs practicing invisibility in my neighborhood most nights. They're pretty good, because I'm the only one who sees them.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    riding today , a car does this u-turn at slow speed and almost runs into me. i yelled out and he stopped. tells me i'm he live there and is very respectful of cyclists further saying it wasn't his fault, all his windows were covered with fog.

    who the hell drives with windows they can't see out of?
    This is who:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #8
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    riding today , a car does this u-turn at slow speed and almost runs into me. i yelled out and he stopped. tells me i'm he live there and is very respectful of cyclists further saying it wasn't his fault, all his windows were covered with fog.

    who the hell drives with windows they can't see out of?
    A buddy of mine, just because he'd be breathing, would overpower the defroster and fog up the windshield in my tiny, ultra-cheap compact car. In any case, sometimes you just gotta get home despite a fogged windshield, crappy wipers, etc., etc.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    A buddy of mine, just because he'd be breathing, would overpower the defroster and fog up the windshield in my tiny, ultra-cheap compact car. In any case, sometimes you just gotta get home despite a fogged windshield, crappy wipers, etc., etc.
    You aren't serious, are you? If so, you're a danger to life and limb! Haven't you heard of opening the windows or running the ac compressor to lower the humidity in the cabin?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    sometimes you just gotta get home
    You could say the same argument about driving home after several beers. in either case. saying sometimes you just gotta get home would make a terrific defense in a court of law, should this result in an accident , injury or death claim

  11. #11
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,028
    What I'm trying to express here is that you can reasonably suspect (or is that count on the fact?) that somebody eventually isn't going to see you or will tempt fate or just plain screw up.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Mainebikah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    37
    Every roadie should know the risks... and on the right edge of the road, you are taking a huge risk on a bicycle. You should always ride like everyone is out to hit you. Never let your guard down and please don't ignore the rules of the road when there are drivers or other cyclists watching. I don't think there's anything that could make a vehicle driver more upset than a cyclist blowing a stop sign or a red light that they are stopped for. Those kinds of things make all cyclists look bad. Set the example. Riding safely takes a lot of work. And that's not taking into consideration drivers who have had a bad day, are in a bad mood or might even be impaired in some way. Cyclists never win against a car. That's an absolute. Ride safe, ride bright and ride right. I still love getting out there on the road, and have for many years, but it's super easy to make a life changing mistake that only takes a small moment's worth of inattention. If you notice a nut driving angry, get out of their way. Being on a bicycle is no time to try making a point.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,164
    The reason I posted this vid was to illustrate what was not taught (and I don't believe is actively taught today) in Driver's Ed.

    There is a science to how we see that is fundamentally ignored save for folks undergoing specialized training when it comes to driving. I see it all the time, am probably guilty of some, but at least endeavor to limit the risks.

    Every day, I see neighbors, head out in their cars, with cell phones already attached to ears (forget about laws that are rarely from an individual's POV is rarely enforced). The new norm is to talk on your phone in your car because you can't be expected to take care of phone calls at the house you just left.

    Every day, I see neighbors wheel around the corner of their block at speeds that preclude any chances of stopping if a kid happened to be playing in the street.

    Every day, I see someone assuming that because the light has turned green, there is no possible way that the crossing traffic is out to screw the pooch.

    I'd make driving a car a higher standard (like retests every 2 to 5 years as just ONE example) than it is today, and I would fail because everyone thinks they are already a good driver because they didn't hit anything today and because it would cost far more money than it would make and we are after all, selfish Capitalist summbeotches who will only do the right thing when it either makes money or is too late!!!! (somebody needs to push me off this soapbox before it's too late)

Similar Threads

  1. Invisibility jacket
    By snapdragen in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM
  2. Carbon + Titanium = Invisibility
    By bmxhacksaw in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.