ITB syndrome

Thread: ITB syndrome

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

ITB syndrome

Anyone have or had this? I was wondering if you could describe the sensation... I suspect it's my issue though I haven't been diagnosed.

Any luck with treatment?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I had it a few years ago, got it from running. It got so bad it hurt on my bike as well. From what I was told if it is on the outside of the knee it is most likely ITB.
    With mine it was a pain and sort of a "popping" tendon sensation when I bent it.
    I went to a chiropractor and found out my leg was shorter than the other, after some research it turns out this is one of the causes. It might be worth going to a chiropractor to get it checked out. Turns out my hip was not level from running, after several visits he managed to get them level.
    There are some good stretches, some for the hip issue and another one for the ITB.
    The ITB stretch that felt like it worked the best was to lay on the edge of a bed and with your leg straight extend it towards the wall as if you kicking, then lower the straight leg down towards the floor, you will feel the tendon stretch if you do this correctly.
    Good luck, I stretch regularly now and haven't had any problems since.
    Rusty

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have it too on one side. This site has good suggestions. Stretching seems to be the cure.

http://christianfrese.blogspot.com/2...-syndrome.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I had it bad. Hit me in the middle of a 150 mile charity ride. It felt like someone jammed an icepick in my knee & was twisting it around. If I stopped pedaling the pain subsided, but when I moved the knee join even an inch the pain hit again like a bolt of lightning. Stupidly, I kept riding on it - my pride wouldn't let me get in the sag wagon. By the end of the ride I was pedaling with one leg with the other unclipped. I was hobbled for about a week, and couldnt ride for a few months afterwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    To me, it's a sharp pain on the outside of the knee, kinda like someone's repeatedly jabbing you with a steak knife.

I've had good results with a mixture of the following:
    a) icing the affected after running or riding;
    b) active isolated stretching;
    c) Core work and glute work- both designed to target underutilized muscles that go a long way to stabilizing the pelvis; and
    d) the use of a foam roller or Trigger Point Quadballer to work out knots and trigger points. For me, they often appear in my outer quad just above the knee or up high just beneath the hip bone in the hip flexors.

My ITB was mostly running related. If you're experiencing symptoms while riding, I'd add in a bike fitting, just to make sure that poor fit isn't contributing to your pain.

Whatever you do, don't try to run or ride through it. This is one of those things that demands attention the first time, before it becomes chronic.