Jamis Eclipse for 225 pound rider???

Jul 2004

Jamis Eclipse for 225 pound rider???

I'm about to put the trigger on a new 2003 Eclipse. It appears to be a screaming deal and is a 61 cm frame for my 6'4" body (which normally is not found sitting around on sale).

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_eclipse.html

Coming from a mt biking background, do I need to worry about the Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, 853/carbon frame, full carbon fork, or any of the other spec'd parts at my weight?? Thanks.

Jul 2004
    Hello...Anyone?? Yes I've already searched and read reviews on both the frame and wheels.

Fez

Jul 2002

2003?

Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Hello...Anyone?? Yes I've already searched and read reviews on both the frame and wheels.

Sounds pretty durable. 853 steel frame sounds good, so do the wheels, component group and seatpost. If you are really worried about the durability at your weight, maybe you could replace the wheels with some 36 spoke handbuilds and change the stem and handlebar for something more stout.

Who is still selling 2003 models? And how good of a deal is it?

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Sure it will work

I'm about to put the trigger on a new 2003 Eclipse. It appears to be a screaming deal and is a 61 cm frame for my 6'4" body (which normally is not found sitting around on sale).

Coming from a mt biking background, do I need to worry about the Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, 853/carbon frame, full carbon fork, or any of the other spec'd parts at my weight?? Thanks.
    I'd be a bit leary if the fork has a carbon steerer. But other wise it should work fine. If your concerned contact Jamis and ask if the bike has a rider weight limit.

Jan 2003
    Dont worry about the fork. Thats a really nice bike and you wont have any problems. Before i got my Marseille,i was looking at them,03's. Best price i found was $1799.Any review i have read said it was great bike.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

Jun 2004
    I just bought a 2003 Eclipse from Performance (a 61cm as well). My guess is that is where you are looking. I live in Denver and the Performance shops here all have a bunch of 03 Eclipses for $1799. For some reason all of their 61cm Eclipses have <40 cm handle bars. They are supposed to have 44 cm bars, and I would imagine that you, at 225# would be quite uncomfortable. I am 180 lb with broad shoulders, and I immediately noticed the problem on a test ride. The manager at the store was awesome, however, and agreed to swap the stem and bars out for Ritchey WCS-OS at 44cm (not only the right size, but an upgrade!).

I bought my bike a few weeks ago, and I love it. There are no significant differences between the 2003 and 2004 Eclipses. I looked all over, and no other bike can come even close in price and match the performance of the Jamis Eclipse. Let me know how it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member

Better bet

For a guy your size I'd recommend something with larger tubes. There's nothing wrong with 853 but big guys need big tubes.

Check out GVHbikes.com. They have a large diameter Zona tubeset Raleigh Professional that should be just the ticket for someone your size. Great price too, $395 for frame and fork. Frame is listed as 62 center to top so the size is similar to the Jamis

http://www.gvhbikes.com/Raleigh%2003/8-20-03/60%20Pinarello%20Opera%20(6).jpg

Regarding the SSL wheelset, while many people report good results, some others aren't as lucky. Simple physics will tell you that a low spoke count wheelset will have to carry more load with each spoke (and at the spoke hole on the rim). I'm going to say no more.

Good luck.

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Wink Cool

Don't worry about your weight, I got my full carbon Scattante CFR last November and its smooth as silk (200 lb) haven't had any problems with the frame, in fact it may helps us big guys with the vibrations better. I'm sure the SL's will support you fine MAVICS are sweet wheels!

Everyone have photographic memory. But not everyone have film!

Non non normal
    What Marcus is really trying to say is get the Scattante CFR. It rides great even if you are big and it is a steal at 1300 bucks for an ultegra outfitted bike.

I have ridden one and they ride great. They are about a half pound heavier than a Trek 5200 frame and 1200 bucks cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus75
    Don't worry about your weight, I got my full carbon Scattante CFR last November and its smooth as silk (200 lb) haven't had any problems with the frame, in fact it may helps us big guys with the vibrations better. I'm sure the SL's will support you fine MAVICS are sweet wheels!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Jan 2003
    Jamis does have a better wheelset,stem,seatpost,seat,fork and as much as i like the CFR,the jamis looks better. CFR is a 5 year warr? I'm not sure about the Jamis.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

Jul 2004

Nothing to worry about

I've got a '98 Eclipse. It doesn't hae the carbon stays and the wheels are CXP-30's instead of the Kysrium's, and I have never had a problem with it. I was off the bike for a while and got back on it last year very close to 300 pounds. I'm 225 now and the bike handles beautfully with me at that weight.

Jul 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

I picked up the Eclipse this morning. Performance is blowing out the 2003 model at $1599. The store here had a 56 or 53 cm remaining.

I'm just having the bar swapped for a 46cm Ritchey and I'm ordering up a 27 tooth rear cassette for the larger climbs around here.

Fez

Jul 2002

fattirewilly

Thanks for the replies.

I sent you a private message. Can you contact me off board? Thx