Jamis Eclipse: recommended?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Question Jamis Eclipse: recommended?

I am looking to buy my first road bike, but have been riding 20 miles per day on my Jamis Coda sport hybrid, which I love. I have tried the 2003 Jamis Eclipse and liked it, so I am thinking about ordering a 2004 model for about $2K (reynolds 853 steel with carbon chain and seatstays, full ultegra, Ksyrium SSC SLs).

I looked at the reviews in this website, and the Eclipse has great reviews up to 2002, but no reviews for 2003, when they introduced the carbon stays. Has anyone tried this bike? Do you recommend it? I am not planning to race it, will use it for fitness and recreation.

A couple more questions about the bike:

1) Should I get a double or a triple? I am planning to use it mostly on rolling hills, perhaps occasionally in steeper hills. My LBS has offered to switch the stock 11-23 cassette for a 12-27. Is a double with a 12-27 sufficient under most circumstances, for a recreational rider who is resonably fit? Do I need a longer chain if I go with this option? Other than weight, is there any other advantage to the double?

2) Should I be concerned about potential failures due to the combination of two different materials in the frame?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Roadbikereview member

'04 Jamis Eclipse

Did a group ride this weekend and one of the riders had a '04 Eclipse; a very nice bike. he said he got it at Performance for around $1600. The 12-27 should be fine with a double, unless you got some monster hills to climb, then a triple bailout gear may help. I have a triple but rarely use it, 52-42-30 crank with 13-28 cassette. Good luck on your choice.

Rick

Formerly JL
    Like you said, there are no real reviews after 2002. I test road the 2001 back when it was an "Editor's Choice" in Bicycling Mag. I thought it rode great and the parts they put on are good too. However, I bought the Trek 5200 (that I compared it too) because I liked it also and got a good deal.

Not sure of the need for carbon stays with the steel frame, but I wouldn't worry about failure as there's a lot of mixed materials out there. If you can get it for $1600 like rfrancisco said (I remember it being a bunch more, like ~$2400), that would be a steal. As for the rear cassette, you should be able to get away with the 12-27 without a longer chain, though the LBS should check this works when they set it up for you.

As for double vs. triple, that's something you may need to guage for yourself as your level of fit could be different than someone else's. On the east coast I get away with a 12-25, but I don't have anything longer than a 2 miles to climb on most rides.

I say go for it. It's a nice bike with a great parts lineup that should last you a long time.
    Happy Riding,

John

PSC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

2003 Eclipse

I have a 2003 Eclipse which I got a month and a half ago for 1580.00 after all was said and done. I too swapped out the the cassette for a 12-27 and needed new bar and stem. The shop would not trade-in parts because of the deal they gave me (that's what Ebay is for). Since then I have put about 700 miles on it and have had no real problems with it that I could not fix. These were mainly minor adjustment issues which I prefer to work out myself and dialing the bike in the way I like it. The bike rides great and I too had reservations about the mixed materials, but I figured for the price I could get a new frame if need be and still be ahead, but I see no need for that. Everything on the bike is top notch and would highly recommend it if you could get it for below 2000.00. Performance carries them and with the member discount, good deals can be had. Any specific questions let me know the 03 and 04 are pretty similar. BTW I too have a Coda Sport as a rain/beater bike, and I love it too.

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    Really nice bikes. You might get away with a double but either way,not a big deal.

Diesel Engine

If the frame fits you...

Those are good bikes (and a good value as Jamis tends to be).

Here's a different approach for the double vs. triple question. I'd get the 12-27 and then if you find that it's still too hard for your hills, have the shop re-fit a compact 50/34 crankset to it. That's far less involved than the new crank/bb/front der/rear der retrofit that's required by a triple. I guess you would probably do a new cassette too to get the right gearing for the compact crankset.

I'd think this is a cheaper alternative (with the FSA Energy compact, not the carbon) than a new Ultegra crank/bb/derailleurs and probably a new cassette (12-23 or 12-25). If the crank is Octalink (I can't remember if the compact is ISIS only), the only parts you would need are the crank and probably a lower-ratio cassette. The rest is adjusting chain length and lowering the front derailleur.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Thanks for the advise!

I have ordered the double (for just over $1900), and my LBS will switch the 11-23 for the 12-27. I also talked to the warranty people at Jamis, and the frame has lifetime warranty, so I guess I have less to worry about the mixed materials. He also told me they have had absolutely no problems with this. I'll be getting it the first week of April. Here is a link to a picture and specs from the Jamis website. Cant wait!

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_eclipse.html

Now I need a good set of pedals. Any recommendations?

PSC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I got the new Shimano 600 pedals, works good. They can be had for under 100.00 on-line.

Mar 2004
    Where did you order it from?

I was looking at this bike for some time but $2400 was over by budget and started looking at aluminum bikes. But if I can get it online for cheaper, I'd get it.

Quote Originally Posted by erne
    I have ordered the double (for just over $1900), and my LBS will switch the 11-23 for the 12-27. I also talked to the warranty people at Jamis, and the frame has lifetime warranty, so I guess I have less to worry about the mixed materials. He also told me they have had absolutely no problems with this. I'll be getting it the first week of April. Here is a link to a picture and specs from the Jamis website. Cant wait!

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_eclipse.html

Now I need a good set of pedals. Any recommendations?

PSC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Performance

I got mine on a mismarked deal at Performance. They had the wrong price on it and realized it after I told them I wanted to buy it. While it didn't get the mismarked price, they gave me a deal I could not refuse. I have a shop right by my house, so it is easy to get them to price match parts. That with there membership rebates saves me alot of money.

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    Quote Originally Posted by pik20b
    Where did you order it from?

I was looking at this bike for some time but $2400 was over by budget and started looking at aluminum bikes. But if I can get it online for cheaper, I'd get it.
    www.bicycleblowout.com
    www.bikesdirect.com
    Both have the KHS 800 for $1900 or less and i always thought the and and Jamis were alike and both great bikes.
    PCS,which performance,got my Fuji at the FV in So Cal.

PSC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Tacoma, WA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Bob's Bikes in poolsville

Pic 20b, I ordered my new eclipse from Bob's Bikes in Poolsville, MD. He is having a sale on Jamis and Giant, way below MSRP. I think you have to buy it at the store, but I know some people just send a friend or family member to buy it and then have it delivered. Not only does he have great prices, Bob is also a great guy.

Here is the link to his website, check out his classified area:

http://www.bobsbike.com
    http://www.bobsbike.com/classifieds.htm