The joys of riding very early in the morning
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

The joys of riding very early in the morning

I have recently become a convert to the joys of riding early in the AM. We are talking EARLY! 5:00am early. Before the sun comes up early. Before the traffic gets bad early. Early enough that my wife and I both use NiteRider halogen headlights with LED strobe tail lights. Early enough that the air still smells really good and the cool air whistles through your helmet. Early enough that you can ride for an hour and still be home before The Today Show comes on NBC. Early enough that you can get in 20 miles, come home, stretch, shower, have a big breakfast and still be to work before 8:00am. Anyone else an early rider?
    Last edited by ivanthetrble; 09-01-2004 at 03:39 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble
    I have recently become a convert to the joys of riding early in the AM. We are talking EARLY! 5:00am early. Anyone else an early rider?
    I used to ride at 4:30 because I had to drive to work before 7:00. These days I usually start my ride around 6:00, but occasionally will get up earlier to ride around 5:00 to get in an extra hour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Also an 5:00 AM'er

I was riding at 5:15 AM but recently moved to 5:00 AM. This morning I could not believe how many people were out at that time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last week I left at 4:30am to cycle into work. Cycling at that time in totally peaceful silence on normally busy roads is beautiful. 24 miles into work, I was at my desk at about 6:15am (yeah, I'm slow). Will be doing the same on Friday probably.

I have recently become a convert to the joys of riding early in the AM. We are talking EARLY! 5:00am early. Before the sun comes up early. Before the traffic gets bad early. Early enough that my wife and I both use NiteRider halogen headlights with LED strobe tail lights. Early enough that the air still smells really good and the cool air whistles through your helmet. Early enough that you can ride for an hour and still be home before The Today Show comes on NBC. Early enough that you can get in 20 miles, come home, stretch, shower, have a big breakfast and still be to work before 8:00am. Anyone else an early rider?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hate mornings in general - but I love riding in the morning. Less traffic, more serenity.
    -J.

shammytime
    Jun 2004

"Floating"

Most of my miles have been in-the-dark-early for the last couple years. With 3 little kids at home, it's a good way to get the miles while still maintaining family time. I don't know if it's the intitial drowsiness or just the lack of light, but I've noticed -as have some of the guys who join in on the early rides - a 'floating' feeling some mornings. If your spin is working well you almost don't notice your legs; combined with a strong head-lamp, it feels as if your just floating along a couple feet above the road.

Diesel Engine

Used to...

Back when I could commute to work (2001), there was no better feeling than to look at my HRM and see 6:00 a.m. and a nice healthy heartrate during a 30-mile commute. Made me think of all the folks sitting at their breakfast table shoveling bacon and sausage down, then driving to work and sitting at a desk all day.

IMO this is the best way to start a day fresh and ready for anything.

Bike Addict

I'm Jealous

Don't know how you guys do it! If Im on the bike by 7:30am I feel like I got a real early start. Up here in the foothills it's 20-30 degees cooler in the am so I try to get out early, but 5am....no way!

Ya, what ATP said...!

I love it.

And being a family man pretty much dictates that two or three of my rides per week have to be dawn patrol. When I meet other guys out riding at that hour (obvious non-commuters since they don't have a change of clothes on their backs...) I just smile and say "Family man..." they smile and nod their head. In the summer I do two mid week rides 5:30-7 and a the same for a pre-ride on Sundays before meeting my crew for our regular ride. Basically, if it's light and my family is asleep/away and I'm not at work, I'm on the bike.

7-Speedster
    Quote Originally Posted by kalby
    Don't know how you guys do it! If Im on the bike by 7:30am I feel like I got a real early start. Up here in the foothills it's 20-30 degees cooler in the am so I try to get out early, but 5am....no way!

Where are you located? I live just North of Boulder, CO, and try to get out by 7am. The shaded portion of my ride is noticably cooler than the sunny portion.

Don't upgrade, Go upgrade

once a week, on weekdays

once a week, on weekdays.
    sure's hard waking up at 4:45 am

and a pair of small Planet Bike flashing lights: white on front, red on back - always mounted on bike.
    also i use a 10watt NiteRider helmet mount - plenty for the road
    i'll install a 2nd red flashing light on the back.

on my mtb i have handle bar mounted 15 watt Niterider (and the 10 watt helmet)...but i wished i had a dual beam 30 watts/12v on handle bar and 15 watts on helmet for the trail rides at night.
    Last edited by TrailSeer; 09-02-2004 at 08:41 AM.
    Viner Pro Team Deda' eom 16.5 red Italian steel, 2.8#.
    Trek Reynolds grey lugged 501 steel tourer.

"if it aint dirty or dangerous, it probabaly aint that much fun"

RoadBikeReview Member

Every day, out by 5:45a

I get up every moning at 4:05a, have a cup of coffee and scarf down my oatmeal, walk the dogs and on most mornings I'm on the bike @ 5:45a...Agreed, it's really nice on most mornings...

Now it's time to hide at work and take my nap,
    Ed

Eddy Merckx...a legend!
    5:30 am for me. And in the next couple of months it will be a must, with the flock of snow birds hitting our area. Man I dread that. We have the greatest weather anywhere at that time of year, and because of that we have to deal with the demolition demons. You wouldn't believe the carnage on the road when they arrive. So the earlier the better. Gotta get out before the first wave of Denny's hysteria hits the asphalt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    it's sublime..

sd

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm semi hardcore on the early morning rides, having done it for coming on four seasons. I have to say that this time of the year is the hardest for me... Racing season is over (well, mine is anyway), it's getting cooler and the days have REALLY shortened up in the last four weeks. I was commenting to a buddy who meets me for these rides (oh the benefit of a friend to share it with) that I almost prefer doing this in january in 30 degree weather (Reno) because I know (KNOW!) that there will be a little more light each morning. This time of year with the receding daylight is just plain tough (even though there's more light and warmer temps than January for sure!).

For me, the best parts of the year are just before the daylight savings time flip in April and mid june, when you can hit the road at 5:00 a.m. with no headlight whatsoever.

Quiet roads, still air, seeing the sunrise, funny looks from the neighbors out picking up their paper when I come home with a grin on my face... THAT is what the dawn patrol is all about!

GeoCyclist
    Oct 2002

I gave it a try in August.

Most of my cycling miles in August were clocked before 07:00. I had non-cycling house guests for the first three weeks of August. So, I had to get my cycling in early and get home in time to play tour guide. Fortunately it was summer, and sunrise was shortly after 05:00. It was nice to see the sunrise during the ride: however, I didn’t care for cycling in the dark for the first 10 – 20 minutes of the ride. I’m looking forward to my old schedule of cycling 8:30 to 12:00; only seven more weeks of work until vacation!!!