Just got a check for $68k, which bike do I buy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On your left!

Just got a check for $68k, which bike do I buy...

Ok, I didn't mention that it is from a company buy out and I have to roll it over into another retirement plan, but it is fun to dream.

So, if it where a windfall, what bike and components would you get, if the sky were the limit.

Me, I think I would go for my yet unseen dream of finding a 55cm Motorolla Merckx (or Caloi, thanks to J's suggestion) and spend the rest of the cash on taking a summer off to ride ALL OF THE TIME!

What would you do?

flinty-eyed moderator

my mad money purchase

I would build up a smokin' TT machine. An Orbea Chrono frame (with the extra bucks for a custom measurement and paint job), Easton Aero fork and Carbon Attack aero bar/stem combo, and USE Alien Carbon Aero post, comfy TT saddle, FSA Superlight carbon crank and lots of campy record. Add in a nice carbon rear disk and carbon tri-spoke wheel and I have the need for speed!

Last edited by Coolhand; 03-30-2004 at 05:58 AM. Reason: ***** grr!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Easy

Keep your present machine and go to Europe with your SO. Ride the Alps and watch the TDF. Then go to Tuscany and Italy and ride around there. If your SO doesn't ride use the opportunity to renew your vows or something. That should make the nights as much fun as the days =D

RoadBikeReview Member

maybe a calfee

Don't have that kind of money so I don't pay close attention to the kind of bikes I could buy for it. That said custom carbon with some of those crazy calfee paint schemes....dreamy. I really like that emerald green to nude fade. DA10, or record10 with extra carbon bits and pieces.
    I need to stop now.

Oct 2002

Easy: Buy Fondriests for your 30 closest RBR friends

And count me in.

B2
    You talking to me?
    What ever happened to "Merak with Campy Record Group"?

You know... I forget who it was that (more as a joke) responded to every new bike inquiry with "Merak with Record". I still laugh a little when I think of it.

Bryan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Cervelo P3 with DA 10, Easton bars, and 404 wheels. I'd opt for a custom paint job, probably some kind of stealth black-grey design. Cervelo's one failing IMO is there paint schemes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh yeah. That was onespeed wasn't it? I miss the pictures of his dogs too.

Get me to In&Out
    I would get the Colnago Ferarri with Record 10 speed, carbon cranks, and about three of their various sets of wheels. Then top it off with a nice set of Nimble wheels for TT's.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Aug 2001

Lets make a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by racerx
    Ok, I didn't mention that it is from a company buy out and I have to roll it over into another retirement plan, but it is fun to dream.

So, if it where a windfall, what bike and components would you get, if the sky were the limit.

Me, I think I would go for my yet unseen dream of finding a 55cm Motorolla Merckx (or Caloi, thanks to J's suggestion) and spend the rest of the cash on taking a summer off to ride ALL OF THE TIME!

What would you do?
    By this Saturday I can have any or all of the bikes that I own restickered as "Individual Retirement Account" brand.

AJS
    banned

Lightbulb

A few years ago, I read somewhere that an experimental, all-beryllium frame & fork was produced, but I don'r recall where or by whom. I do recall that the cost to make it was around $25,000.

That would be a good start for a "cost-no-object" rig!

Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AJS
    A few years ago, I read somewhere that an experimental, all-beryllium frame & fork was produced, but I don'r recall where or by whom. I do recall that the cost to make it was around $25,000.

That would be a good start for a "cost-no-object" rig!
    Actually, a few years ago when I was in law school I did some legal work for a company called Beyond Beryllium that was trying to make beryllium frames. Apparently, the demise of the Soviet Union meant that defense factories in Russia that had previously made areospace stuff could now make these frames. Seemed like a good idea but I left town and have never heard about them again.

RoadBikeReview Member

The $25k bike was stolen, so look for it on e-bay

But there was talk of getting the price down to $2k-$3k for the frame...

http://www.infomanage.com/mic_conver...ess/bikes.html

RoadBikeReview Member

Beryllium... the downside

It's a tad on the toxic side... the new asbestos!? Just don't scratch it in a crash

http://www.ishn.com/CDA/ArticleInfor...2,2115,00.html

Mar 2004
    I would go for a Serotta Ottrott totally custom, definately with Record 10, plus carbon cranks. Don't know about the wheels cause the carbon wheels are not durable enough, prolly go with the Topolino's. add in some cool carbon bars, stem and post. and still have plenty to do that Bike Trip thru Tuscany someone else was recommending!

Nov 2002

A perfect fit....

I'd go to the olympic center in Colorado, get a perfect fitting session with the coaches. Then I'd buy a custom based on those specs. I'd pick the custom builder mainly with regard to material. If my favorite was carbon I'd go with Calfee, if it was steel I'd go vanilla or maybe strong... not sure who I'd go with for custom aluminium.

Any money left would have me riding some vacation spots.... North coast of Iceland in the summer..... cliffs of Fiji, perhaps some pedalling along the Great Wall of China :-)

What would you do?

merckxman
    Jan 2002

Good Choice!

The Motorola bikes came in different tube sets. The MX Leader is the most interesting, in my opinion, with all of the odd shaped tubes and special lugs to accomodate them. I would hold out for a Merckx labeled bike over a CALOI.

Feb 2004
    custom 853 Vanilla. white with black panels and matte finished lugs. lugged fork, as well. black with a white vanilla flower. semi-compact geometry, with the old Campy drops (or Sub-11s, i guess...i don't know). and white/blue weaved bar-tape (unless white leather bar-tape is available). stem and bars...eh, i don't know. Dreadset.

typical set-up: SS or fixed, black Phil hubs (flip-flop in rear) laced to DT rims with black supercomps and black nipples. Record brake levers/calipers

roadie set-up: Hugi 240s, same rims/spokes/nipples, full Record but i don't know about cranks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

You guys must be crazy

Merlin Cielo custom, Campy record, best trick wheels money can buy, Litespeed Saber TT setup, disc wheels. Pay for a coach to teach you how to ride these babies.... heck, just buy a share in a bike company and get them to make you whatever you want.

Ciao,
    Sean

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

What would you do?
    Either a Columbine or a Brian Baylis. Or both. Campy 50th Anniversary group.

--Shannon

AJS
    banned

Cool

PdxMark -

Thanks for the links. The part that blows my mind is that beryllium is only 1/3 the weight of aluminum, yet is 6 times stiffer than steel. It doesn't seem possible!

Talk about your ultimate sprinter's (or climber's) bike!

On your left!

That one may go over budget...nm

Nm.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Today's choices

Custom Mondonico

Hetchins Magnum Opus

Merlin Cielo custom

Richard Sachs - would allow time for investment to grow enough to get a JP Weigle too.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

i like whiskey

Pay for a coach to teach you how to ride these babies...."

Buffedupboy has the right idea. A bike is just a tool, albeit a lust-inspiring tool. The real benefit of $68k would be getting the time and knowledge to use that tool to the best of your abilities. A coach and a lot of time off to ride would be the optimal use.

Of couse, $5-6k on a custom built Seven Alta with DA10 with a few tasty carbon bits and a couple of sets of handbuilt wheels would put a big-old smile on my face.

scruffy nerf herder

For fun... how bout that Orbea Orca

On the back of procycling? Looks fun.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast