Is it just me, or have paint jobs become ugly? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Boldfaced: Is this not so obvious that it even needs to be said?

Re your attire, allow me to add my speculation: When I ride my old mountain bike (black and grey Cinelli) in the city, people give me a wider berth than they do on any of my faster-colored bikes. I also noticed I'd get odd looks from some people, not hostile or anything, but they looked as if they'd never seen a guy on a bike, and/or looked at me as if I were going to do something. I found all this puzzling, because it'd happen on my city rides a lot, and then it hit me: I sport a ride with lights fore and aft, and one of those racktop bags, and wear a blue jersey with black shorts and black street shoes as well; they thought I was a bike cop.

FTR, I'm not a bike cop.

But with your navy blue shirt, etc., you fit the profile.
    I don't mind looking like a bike cop in some of the neighborhoods I ride through.

Also, I'm the guy who's always yelling to people who look like they're trying to repair their bikes along the MUP I ride... "Need help?!!?" I have patched tires, gotten chains back on chain rings, etc., more times than I can count.

Back to colors, kits and whatnot, and the dull lack thereof... I think some drivers actually avoid us drab non-kit-wearers on drab bikes, giving us a modicum of respect, thinking that we're not part of "those bikers" that "cagers" hate with a passion... and that maybe we're poor slobs who are DUI offenders trying to get to work.

It's just a theory at this point, of course.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by night mission View Post
    Im surprised no one has mentioned safety with regards to bike color. I ride a bright red Bianchi which stands out compared to the flat black newer bikes I see around. Why anyone would consider a dull dark color as acceptable is beyond me. Can't be about keeping it clean, a bike is not a minivan, you could do a spit polish job in minutes compared to a car. Bike safe and help the poor eyesight of many drivers by giving them something easier to see.
    That's what bright colored clothing is for. That covers a greater area than a bike frame.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    That's what bright colored clothing is for. That covers a greater area than a bike frame.
    Yep.

A loud yellow jersey is way more visible than a skinny bike frame. Black works great. It hides the dirt and touches up nicely when scratched. I've relied on a single flashing tail light and staying on MUTS as much as possible at night where I'm the fastest vehicle, not the slowest.

In daylight, I assume I'm "invisible" in traffic and try to stay on the right, unless I'm going the speed of traffic and then take the lane. I've had collisions with other cyclists, pedestrians, wet leaves, pavement washouts, but never came close with cars. Times and attitudes may have changed since the days bike messengers showed how it's done.

Then again, it depends on what roads you're riding on. The greater the speed differential, the more risk, so I stay off those roads, but it isn't always possible in greater suburbia.

banned
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    And, what bike do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Time Skylon, Time NXS, Time VXRS.
    Best post in this thread ! Bravo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post

Best post in this thread ! Bravo!
    Why?...
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

gazing from the shadows
    Celeste is still celeste.

So not all paint jobs.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Celeste is still celeste.

So not all paint jobs.
    Celeste is a keeper. Doesn't outshine the shiny aluminum or carbon components. But hey, Bianchi? A blast from the past. Pantani may have damaged the brand somewhat with his sad demise.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I don't mind looking like a bike cop in some of the neighborhoods I ride through.

Also, I'm the guy who's always yelling to people who look like they're trying to repair their bikes along the MUP I ride... "Need help?!!?" I have patched tires, gotten chains back on chain rings, etc., more times than I can count.

Back to colors, kits and whatnot, and the dull lack thereof... I think some drivers actually avoid us drab non-kit-wearers on drab bikes, giving us a modicum of respect, thinking that we're not part of "those bikers" that "cagers" hate with a passion... and that maybe we're poor slobs who are DUI offenders trying to get to work.

It's just a theory at this point, of course.

We could be sons of different mothers; I too am that well-meaning person asking if riders are ok when I pass them, and playing Lone Ranger mechanic as needed. And yes, sometimes looking like a cop ain't a bad thing...though there are places in my city where I've wondered if it mightn't be such a good thing, but a target.

Re your theory, have you considered that perhaps folks in your neck of the woods may think, with your drab garb, that you might be Mennonite, or even Amish, and that they give you a wide berth out of consideration for your presumed religious status?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 6.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of September 6th), eight months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    We could be sons of different mothers; I too am that well-meaning person asking if riders are ok when I pass them, and playing Lone Ranger mechanic as needed. And yes, sometimes looking like a cop ain't a bad thing...though there are places in my city where I've wondered if it mightn't be such a good thing, but a target.

Re your theory, have you considered that perhaps folks in your neck of the woods may think, with your drab garb, that you might be Mennonite, or even Amish, and that they give you a wide berth out of consideration for your presumed religious status?
    I'm about 60 miles too far east for that mistake to crop up. Now if my bike was black, my bike shorts were coveralls, and my helmet was a straw hat... maybe.

Actually, now that I think about it, IIRC, among the faithful... chain rings, chains and other moving parts are considered to be the work of the devil, like zippers, electricity, etc.

I think to remain in the amish deity's good graces, the closest thing to a bike one can ride is one of those bike-shaped objects that you power directly with your feet on the ground, a la fred flintstone.

xxl
    I'm about 60 miles too far east for that mistake to crop up. Now if my bike was black, my bike shorts were coveralls, and my helmet was a straw hat... maybe.

Actually, now that I think about it, IIRC, among the faithful... chain rings, chains and other moving parts are considered to be the work of the devil, like zippers, electricity, etc.

I think to remain in the amish deity's good graces, the closest thing to a bike one can ride is one of those bike-shaped objects that you power directly with your feet on the ground, a la fred flintstone.
    I know that the ways of the People can be difficult for we English to comprehend, but my understanding is that what they generally object to are permanent connections to the English world; hence no 'lectric, or gas lines (sometimes). It's also why the Amish around me then would not own a car or telephone, but could borrow yours.

I understand that using bicycles (and scooters...and cell phones) are controversial within differing sects, but the Amish I lived around were avid users of bicycles. Obvs, YMMV.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 6.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of September 6th), eight months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I know that the ways of the People can be difficult for we English to comprehend, but my understanding is that what they generally object to are permanent connections to the English world; hence no 'lectric, or gas lines (sometimes). It's also why the Amish around me then would not own a car or telephone, but could borrow yours.

I understand that using bicycles (and scooters...and cell phones) are controversial within differing sects, but the Amish I lived around were avid users of bicycles. Obvs, YMMV.
    Yes it depends on the particular Amish community. Some are more 'progressive' than others.

There's also Conservative Mennonites who are pretty indistinguishable from the Amish. They still use horse and buggy. But will also own cars (all black) too.

I ride through Amish/Mennonite area on occasion. I've got some photos and videos of riding along with large groups riding home from Sunday church. Some of them have really nice bikes. Nothing like the sight of a girl wearing a skirt riding a $5000 bike with flat pedals and sandals.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Suddenly, I'm thinking about Floyd Landis.

I believe he was from one of those sects.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Suddenly, I'm thinking about Floyd Landis.

I believe he was from one of those sects.
    He's a Mennonite from Lancaster area PA.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Jack of no trades
    Yes, bike paint jobs these days are horrible. Too many bizarre color schemes. Manufacturers, while obviously trying to mix things up, really need to stick with the standard colors of Black, Red, White or similar. I'm sure some are into it, but I'm not very eager to rush out and spent $5000 on a purple bike with lime green accents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12