that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]

Feb 2004

that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]

(x-post from mtbr/passion. hence the roadie comments. ;) )

ok, this is a roadie post. sue me. my FS is out of commission and lying in a partially stripped heap on the floor waiting to go back to Dean for a new front triangle and my HT is out of commission as a result of racing for 2.5 hours in the rain & mud of Ducktown, TN last weekend (i've managed to replace the brake pads & brake cables but i still need to pull the bb and replace the shifter cables). so, what's a girl to do??!

maybe, i should have just stayed home, mopped the floor & watched the Giro. but i didn't.

i had taken the prior week completely off the bike. i desperately needed the rest. my bikes sat unused & unloved in the corner of the kitchen while i remembered what it was like before my entire live became an exercise in training. beer is good. i like beer. sitting on the couch is good too. i like that too.

by saturday i was ready to ride again and i went out and did 3 hrs/50 miles easy. i felt great!

sunday i woke up to discover that i'd crippled myself. seriously!! i got up to use the restroom in the morning, went to sit down and nearly screamed from the pain in my quads. i had to reach back and lower myself onto the toilet! where is that handicapped bar when you need it??? walking was painful and going down stairs was an exercise in torture.

i knew i had to ride. only spinning would work out the gallons of lactic acid stored in my quads. our ride didn't get off to an auspicious start. we didn't manage to roll out until nearly 5:30pm and the sun that had been beating down all day long was fast disappearing behind a veil of dark clouds.

we picked a 35 mile loop that promised to be flat and agreed to keep the pace easy. the clouds spit at us as we started to roll but we were not to be detered! we spun along and the ride was going well. about 1/2 way through the ride we picked up another rider, "Junior". it was nice to cruise along at about 18 mph in a paceline of 3 and my legs felt far better on the bike than they did off of it.

we turned onto the back side of the loop, a 2 lane road which takes us through rural-ish farm land. off to our right the clouds were gathering and getting darker and darker. hmmmm. maybe we'll beat the rain. yeah right.

Junior was pulling and suddenly yells back "OH! GROSS!!" up ahead is road kill. now, i've seen a lot of road kill in the 5 years i've been riding road. besides, i live in the south and i'm pretty sure the state animal for NC is flattened possum. here in Atl it seems to be inside-out squirrel. but this was road kill like i'd never seen. the animal was not even identifiable and it's parts were spread hither & yon. if you were into reading entrails this animal was an open book!

we replied with a chorous of "EEEEEWWWW! NASTY!" and "UGH! DISGUSTING!", swung wide to avoid the worst of it, and rolled past.

the ride continued with Junior still pulling, me in the middle, and EddieO bringing up the rear. maybe 2 miles later i look to my left an see 2 large dogs (a shepard and a black dog of indeterminate breed) sunning themselves at the end of a long driveway. I thought 'dogs. sleeping. how nice'. Then the shepard noticed us, flew to his feet, and lunged out into the road barking and running straight at us. I downshifted to start sprinting, and got out 'DOGS!!!' as a pickup crested the hill on the same side of the road and on a direct trajectory with the dog. I saw that split second where the dog saw the truck, hesitated, thought 'F**K!' and then *CRACK!!* (not 'wham', not 'whump', but 'crack' is the sound a pick up going about 55 mph makes when it hit a 70+ lb german shepard on a back road in GA). Junior missed the show but heard the noise, i saw the start of it, and EddieO saw the completion and aftermath. collectively we yelled "OHMYGOD!!" over and over.

we slowed and discussed our options. my initial reaction was to go back. but what would we have done? who's to say if the black dog (which was no smaller than the shepard) was friendly? could we hike up the long drive to the house and say "hi, we just saw your dog get hit by a pick up?" more than likely three random sweaty stranger wearing lycra would get shot at in this part of the world. i don't know if the pick up stopped. i didn't hear any squeeling of brakes but maybe the driver stopped down the road a bit. all i can say is at least it was quick and painless for the dog.

shaken we continued on. as we turned onto the last stretch of road (about 15 miles left) the dark cloud that had been looming over our right shoulders in the distance was suddenly directly ahead of us with an impressive light show starting and distant rumblings of thunder. we got closer and the light show went from sudden bright glows to jagged streaks. the rumblings took on distinctive loud thunder claps. the wind picked up, the temps dropped and the rain started. we were out in the open with not so much as an abandoned shack to take shelter in. our pace picked up from a leisurely 18 mph to closer to 23 mph. the lightening got closer and the thunder got louder. all i could think was, 'we're going to die!!' and 'i'm glad i'm shorter than everyone else!!' we must have rolled through close to the center of the storm because at one point the lightening was so close we could HEAR it. *SSSSSSSSSCRACK!!* and then BOOM!!

i don't know about anyone else but i screamed and if i hadn't already been soaked to the bone i'd have probably needed to change my chamois!

we hightailed it as fast as our tired legs would carry us but the rain, thunder & wind followed us all the way back to EddieO's garage.

so, now i have 3 bikes out of commission, one dead dog on my conscience, and a pair of grey cycling sock that used to be white to remind me of what happens when you ride past road kill, see a dog get hit by a car, and finish your ride by time trialing through a violent thunderstorm.

maybe couch training isn't such a bad idea. ;)

rt

oh, and some cool pics from the Tour de Georgia time trial (fortunately for them the weather was better, they'd swept the course of road kill, and dogs were on leashes)...

Jens Voigt

Georgie Hincappie

Cipo! (hating life. this was about mid-way up the 2-ish mile climb up Radio Hill Rd.)

Lance

and finally, the leader (at that time)

Ivan Dominguez - showing every muscle you use in cycling!
    when i rule the world, things will be different

cruisin

great post

Nice epic-ish ride too, ;) . Dead (dying) critters are never fun. Pics are tres cool.
    trackdays....because golf is for pussies

EuroCrash

LOL - same happend to me.

While I was cresting a hill this medium sized white dog shoots out from the opposite side of the road while at the same time as a Chevy Avalanche reaches the top from the other side - SPLAT. I actually turned back and offered the driver my contact info in case there was some insurence trouble, but the truck had a huge metal grill and no damage. When I looked into the driveway from where the dog had come I saw a couple of additional dogs and a goat - so it may not have been a big loss to the owners, especially considering that the following week on a group ride another dog from that house shoot out and gave chase (no chevy this time though). I haven't been chased by the goat yet.

SS

FTMD
    I've never had it happen, but I've been THIS close to leading a dog into an oncoming vehicle. The most recent was a big mutt that almost got clobbered by a motorcyclist. He had to nosewheelie to avoid the danged dog. I know it's going to happen eventually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMD
    I've never had it happen, but I've been THIS close to leading a dog into an oncoming vehicle. The most recent was a big mutt that almost got clobbered by a motorcyclist. He had to nosewheelie to avoid the danged dog. I know it's going to happen eventually.
    i've had it happen to me twice. both times dogs sprang to their feet only to be crushed by cars right as they started chasing me. i kind of felt sorry for the dogs especially since there are so many on my regular routes that deserved that fate more than them.

EuroCrash
    Quote Originally Posted by bill105
    i've had it happen to me twice. both times dogs sprang to their feet only to be crushed by cars right as they started chasing me. i kind of felt sorry for the dogs especially since there are so many on my regular routes that deserved that fate more than them.
    yep - don't blame the dogs, blame their owners

Feb 2004

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff27
    Nice epic-ish ride too, ;) . Dead (dying) critters are never fun. Pics are tres cool.
    85 miles on the weekend.

i've got a boat-load more pics from the TdG. i just haven' t had time to post them.

rt

Feb 2004

must be something about white trucks

Quote Originally Posted by 52-16SS
    While I was cresting a hill this medium sized white dog shoots out from the opposite side of the road while at the same time as a Chevy Avalanche reaches the top from the other side - SPLAT. I actually turned back and offered the driver my contact info in case there was some insurence trouble, but the truck had a huge metal grill and no damage. When I looked into the driveway from where the dog had come I saw a couple of additional dogs and a goat - so it may not have been a big loss to the owners, especially considering that the following week on a group ride another dog from that house shoot out and gave chase (no chevy this time though). I haven't been chased by the goat yet.

SS
    the truck that hit the dog i saw was white as well. that never occurred to us to go back and offer contact info to the driver. that's a good idea.

i didn't see any goats on this property but then again i didn't look very hard either.

funny image getting chased by a goat!!

rt

Feb 2004

the weird thing is...

Quote Originally Posted by bill105
    i've ridden this loop a zillion times and it gets a ton of cyclist traffic (it's a winter training loop for a ride that goes out every sunday in the off-season that has between 75-150 riders) and i have never seen a dog on it before. maybe it was just the time of day or something.

rt

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... nice pics and writeup... but isn't that first pic Bobby Julich???

Cipo's long lost cousin

GA on my mind

Hey RT... Always enjoy your posts on MTBr and RBR.... I've got a question for you if you wouldn't mind.

I'm pretty close to accepting a new job in Newnan, GA which is a far SW suburb of Atlanta. Any chance you could give me a thumbnail sketch of the riding (onroad and offroad) in that area (Newnan, Peachtree City area)? Is it all pick-ups with gun racks? Should I leave the Pink T-Mobile jersey at home and stop shaving my legs?

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

JFR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice write up rt!

I had to do a quick double take of the Lance photo... and then chuckle at myself... at first glance it kinda looked like he had a rear fender!

Feb 2004

hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho
    ... nice pics and writeup... but isn't that first pic Bobby Julich???
    yep, the first one is Julich. my bad! i had about 8 different people on mtbr point that out to me. doh!

thanks!

rt

Feb 2004

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JFR
    Nice write up rt!

I had to do a quick double take of the Lance photo... and then chuckle at myself... at first glance it kinda looked like he had a rear fender!
    LOL! when i went back and looked at it it does look like the fender from the 4-wheeler is attached to Lance's bike. hehehehehe

rt

Feb 2004

hey Steve-O

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O
    Hey RT... Always enjoy your posts on MTBr and RBR.... I've got a question for you if you wouldn't mind.

I'm pretty close to accepting a new job in Newnan, GA which is a far SW suburb of Atlanta. Any chance you could give me a thumbnail sketch of the riding (onroad and offroad) in that area (Newnan, Peachtree City area)? Is it all pick-ups with gun racks? Should I leave the Pink T-Mobile jersey at home and stop shaving my legs?

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    thanks!

to be honest i don't know a lot about Newnan (the truth is no one in atlanta knows where anything outside their neighborhood and their work place is!! ;)) but i do believe there is some decent riding, both on & off road, in that area as well as some good road riding around Peachtree City. i don't think it's too redneck-y and while i wouldn't suggest wearing the pink T-Mobile jersey to work or the grocery store you'll be safe wearing it while riding! ;)

atlanta and the surrounds has a pretty strong cycling community. and while we are not always the most popular vehicles on the road there are certainly a lot of us with a close word-of-mouth network.

let me know if you decide to relocate here and i can pass along more info.

rt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

stupid dogs

I had 2 dogs go after me at the top of a hill in rural Iowa many years ago. Just as one came out of the ditch and onto the road a large Buick came over the crest and the rest is history. Thank god the motorists didn't panic and lose control. I'm surprised to see so many like responses to your story.

Feb 2004

i guess it's reassurring

Quote Originally Posted by flattire
    I had 2 dogs go after me at the top of a hill in rural Iowa many years ago. Just as one came out of the ditch and onto the road a large Buick came over the crest and the rest is history. Thank god the motorists didn't panic and lose control. I'm surprised to see so many like responses to your story.
    i've been surprised to see how many other people have had the same experience. i suppose it's reassurring but still.......it'd be nice if dog owners were responsible and made sure their pet was protected.

rt

Cipo's long lost cousin

Appreciate it! (nm)

nmnmnm
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant