Keep spare tubes spare?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Keep spare tubes spare?

Went through about 1,700 miles of riding last year after putting 1 oz. of Stans No Tubes in the inner tubes. Neither I nor my wife had any flats. I am overdue to change the inner tubes. Should I use the spare tubes that have been in the saddle bag for the year (bikes are stored in a garage) or should I keep the spare tubes in the saddle bag and just use new tubes a new dose of Stans No Tube?

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's probably a good idea to use your spare tubes now and buy new ones as spares.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Why are you overdue to change tubes at 1700 miles?

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg
    Why are you overdue to change tubes at 1700 miles?
    yeah, add me to the "I wanna know that, too" list.

Is there something about Stans that reduces the lifetime of a tube? That would appear to be counterintuitive..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    1700 miles? Quit worrying about the tubes and ride the bike!

Frog Whisperer
    I bet i had 7 or 8000 miles on some tubes before they flatted....then i patched them and kept going
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    It is not the inner tube, but rather the No Tubes sealant placed in the inner tube. I was told by the biker who recomended the Stans No Tubes that the tubes should be discarded after six months or so. It may have to do with aging of the sealant and/or loss of sealant during routine use. For two tubes and a small amount of Stans No Tubes (less than $15 per bike) it seems like cheap insurance to help keep the flats away. (Before using this, my wife and I had three flats in two days, althought this could also have been a case of when and where we rode - Lake Tahoe area in April).

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    You guys who talk about having constant flats amaze me.
    I have to wonder if your roads are made of glass shards or you just dont look ahead and then ride around debris.
    2 years; no flats; same tubes for the whole time.
    Roads are average but smashing glass bottles in the bike lanes is a local competitor sport.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    The sealant does dry out. I run tubeless tires on 1 & 1/2 bikes and I change the sealant once a year now. At that point it's still good but I let one bike go 2 years and there was none left in the tire, it was all dried out.
    I would guess that if you ride the bike, you would get a year out of it especially inside a tube. less time if you don't ride it and maybe less time if you are in an arid climate, I'm in Seattle. But that being said, new tubes only cost maybe $10.00 at the most. Not really a lot of money to worry about even if you are tossing it away unnecessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowonder
    It is not the inner tube, but rather the No Tubes sealant placed in the inner tube. I was told by the biker who recommended the Stan's No Tubes that the tubes should be discarded after six months or so. It may have to do with aging of the sealant and/or loss of sealant during routine use. For two tubes and a small amount of Stans No Tubes (less than $15 per bike) it seems like cheap insurance to help keep the flats away. (Before using this, my wife and I had three flats in two days, althought this could also have been a case of when and where we rode - Lake Tahoe area in April).