Kickr Calibration Issues
    Jack of no trades

Question Kickr Calibration Issues

I was having some unusual noise relate issues recently with my '17 Kickr. Unable to diagnose the problem, Wahoo sent me a refurbished Kickr as a replacement.

After setting it up, I performed a "factory spindown," via the Wahoo Utility app on my phone. As per the onscreen instructions, I continued to warm the Kickr up for 3 minutes (which I found odd seeing as Wahoo recommends a 10 min warmup for regular spindowns). Next I got up to 23mph and stopped pedaling, letting the Kickr coast down. It performed two separate spindowns.

For Test #1 the time was 42.8 sec with a temp of 26.6 deg.
    For Test #2 the time was only 6.6 sec with a temp also of 26.6 deg.
    Brake Factor 0.73

After this I continued onto Zwift and found that the resistance was noticeably more difficult when compared to my previous Kickr (that was just yesterday shipped back to Wahoo). I seem to be running a couple gears higher on the cassette for the same amount of power generated. Sprinting, for example, is usually done in 52/11 or 12. Now I'm struggling in the 15 cog.

I've run other spindowns after this. Each time I warm the Kickr up for 10 minutes and perform the spindown. The numbers are always similar: 44.6 seconds with a temp of 36 degrees. And the resistance remains the same.

Do these numbers seem unusual or within the norm?

I've sent repeated emails to the Wahoo tech who's been helping me with the issues with my old Kickr, but he's proven rather lax in regards to getting back with me, and I'm tired of waiting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Did your Zwift settings stay the same when you change to what it thinks is a new trainer? I'm just wondering if perhaps the "Trainer Difficulty" slider in your Zwift settings has changed to a default or something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post

After this I continued onto Zwift and found that the resistance was noticeably more difficult when compared to my previous Kickr (that was just yesterday shipped back to Wahoo). I seem to be running a couple gears higher on the cassette for the same amount of power generated. Sprinting, for example, is usually done in 52/11 or 12. Now I'm struggling in the 15 cog.
    My response doesnít deal with any technical issues, but just want to say that the bolded part above is a red flag for me.

I spend plenty of time on Zwift (I have a 2018 KICKR and also a Tacx), and in the flats, sprinting in the 52/11 would mean putting out some unbelievably obscene number of watts. I canít even count that high. My KICKR is calibrated similar to my Tacx (which has no calibration) and for both of them if Iím going as hard as I possibly can in 50/14 of 50/15 it will register well over 400 watts. Iím not strong enough to sustain this (my FTP is about 200 watts), but my point is that if you were previously riding regularly in 52/11 on the flats, then it sounds to me like your trainer wasnít calibrated correctly.

I can empathize with the change. I had a KICKR snap that totally over-reported by watts, and it was hard to change to the Tacx.