RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Knee stretches upsetting my MCL or Pes Anserine

Hello guys,

I recently developed a patellofemoral syndrome probably due to 3 causes:
    - saddle too front forward and too low
    - too much power too often on the indoor trainer
    - overuse (I'm at 4500 km in Zwift since last November)

With my PT and according to the pain points when massaging, we believe that the VMO was the root cause because it was extremely sore. It took a full 2 weeks to get it back to life. I also eased up on training during these 2 weeks. Daily massages and re-positioning of the saddle allowed me to get back to Zwift.

Now the problem...

My PT gave me 6 stretching exercices. Two of them directly or indirectly pull on the MCL and Pes Anserine.

Even going extremely gentle, and making sure that all my muscles are warm, after these stretches, I feel pain in the MCL and Pes Anserine area for 1 to 2 days.

On the other hand, I also feel (somewhat... really not sure on this one) that these exercices are beneficial after the 1 to 2 days heal.

Should I keep going? Did you ever experience this?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcessiv View Post
    Hello guys,

- overuse (I'm at 4500 km in Zwift since last November)

With my PT and according to the pain points when massaging, we believe that the VMO was the root cause because it was extremely sore. It took a full 2 weeks to get it back to life. I also eased up on training during these 2 weeks. Daily massages and re-positioning of the saddle allowed me to get back to Zwift.

Now the problem...

My PT gave me 6 stretching exercices. Two of them directly or indirectly pull on the MCL and Pes Anserine.

Even going extremely gentle, and making sure that all my muscles are warm, after these stretches, I feel pain in the MCL and Pes Anserine area for 1 to 2 days.

On the other hand, I also feel (somewhat... really not sure on this one) that these exercices are beneficial after the 1 to 2 days heal.

Should I keep going? Did you ever experience this?

Thanks!
    damn this sounds complicated! I had a major knee injury way back. From my personal experience about stretching is that a stretch is supposed to make you uncomfortable a bit, and the pain is supposed to go away by the next day, then I'd stretch again. If the pain is lasting for more than 1 day, then you need to back off just a tad. Backing off just a tad still reaps the benefits of stretching, minus the pain.

The other question for you is. You sure you won't injure yourself again when you're back on zwift. Sounds like you need a proper bike fitting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yes quite complicated hahaha.

After reading a lot about the topic, I believe I overstretched my hamstrings which connect to the medial side of the knee.

I still need to find out what caused the apparent patellofemoral syndrome prior to the hamstring overstrech. I still believe the main cause is the saddle being too far forward. 2 months ago, I considerably brought it forward because my bibs were rubbing on the seat post.
    Last edited by Xcessiv; 03-14-2018 at 02:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    if your legs are rubbing the seatpost, I wonder if the seat is too high, causing you to hyper extend the legs. But then in your original post, you said the seat was too low. So it is odd that your legs would rub the seat post if the seat is already low. If you were to raise the seat up a tad to try to alleviate the knee issue, then the rubbing may in fact become worse.

On a relate note, a too high of a seat will cause your legs to hyper extend and this will cause your hamstrings to overwork. So if you do raise the seat up, pay attention to the hamstring too. However, you said your hamstrings were over stretched. Well are they healed up already? Because if you're still feeling discomfort from the hamstrings now, then go slowly when you do raise the seat up.

Like i said, sounds complicated. Probably will take some trials to figure this out

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=Xcessiv;5222212]Hello guys,

- overuse (I'm at 4500 km in Zwift since last Nov"

Are you sure about it being too low? A too low of a saddle usually results in pain behind the patella (front and low)
    I had a lot of Pes pain a few years ago, then I got a fit and it disappeared entirely. Prior to the fit, I had my seat too far back and too high. As a result, I wasn't sitting square on the seat. A seat that is too high will cause you to dip your hip as you approach max down stroke which in turn twists the knee joint slightly.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    One other thing you might look into is shorter crank arms. I had knee issues as discussed in a couple of threads about PRP, through PT it has subsided, but Iím also planning to switch from my 172.5mm crank arms to 165mm per my PT. Food for thought if your discomfort continues.