Know any good clipless pedals for a newbie??

Jul 2004

Know any good clipless pedals for a newbie??

I have little knowledge as to what types/brands of pedals would be best suited for someone starting to get serious about road biking. Can any help?

Jul 2004

how about these?

Time Mid Road Cycling Bike Pedals Brand New Aluminum

Fast No More.

If the shoe fits, buy the pedals that go with it.

I would suggest that you look at shoes first. Find the ones that fit your feet, your needs, and your budget. Once you have shoes, you'll have a better idea of what pedal options you have (not all shoes accomodate all pedal systems). Again, think about what your needs are: lightweight, high cornering clearance, freedom of movement or lack thereof, cross-comaptibiltiy with other pedal systems/shoes, etc. You'll find a lot of feedback in the Reviews section of this site, too.

Hope this helps.

steel road, fixie, & MTB

time atac

time atac...i use these "mtb" pedals for MTBs and road bikes. and so does others in my local bike racing club.

note: time atac are shimano spd shoe compatiable (and I'll never again buy another shimano spd pedals)
    Last edited by TrailNut; 08-04-2004 at 03:33 PM.
    Viner Pro Team Dedacciai EOM 16.5 light steel Campy 2x10.
    "The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." - Thucydides.

gazing from the shadows

I would go with mtb spds.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_MCDbio
    I have little knowledge as to what types/brands of pedals would be best suited for someone starting to get serious about road biking. Can any help?
    You want to commute on your bike, and walking in mtb shoes is MUCH easier. Most all mtb shoes will be work with spds (a type of cleat), and you can get functional pedals pretty cheap. Set the release tension on the pedals at the MINIMUM setting to start.

Keep in mind that not everyone likes clipless. Don't drop big coin on your first set.

Buy good SHOES though. And try them on before you buy. That is money well spent.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Jul 2004

Egg Beaters rock

I really like the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters. I am using them on a roady, with basic shimano shoes. They are technically MTB shoes, as they are lugged with recessed cleat area (easy walking), but they look (somewhat) like roadie shoes. The thing I liked about the Egg Beaters when I first went to clipless is how easy in and out they are, while still being really solid platforms. And I have never come out when I didn't intend to. I want to move my standard beaters to my fixie when I get it, and put the new roadie beaters and the road bike. We'll see if I can rationalize nearly $200 pedals after getting a whole bike for $400 ;) The basic eggbeaters can be had for under $100.

Best,
    Gordon

Old, slow, and fat.

Get yourself down to a Supergo and check out the selection of shoes. If they still have some (and they fit) get yourself some Nike Poggios. Stiff, light, inexpensive. I have 3 pair if that says anything.

If you're going whole hog, get some SPD-SLs or some Speedplay Zeros. Stay away from the SPD-Rs. I have 3 pair of them too, but I wish I didn't. I'm stuck till some(sucker)one wants them and I can afford the 3 pair of D/A SPD-SLs.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!