Kool Stop tire jack. yes.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Kool Stop tire jack. yes.

I have to give a shout out to this tool. I'm sure many of you know it, but I feel a duty to share.

Couldn't get Gatorskins on my Zipp 30's, nor could shop when I went for an assist.

Replaced with Schwalbe One's that had be running. Still couldn't get them on despite 3 hours, watching every video and tip on YouTube. Rubber palmed gloves...bead in center of rim...push slack around... Nothing. Had a martini, snapped my girlfriend who tried to be helpful, blisters on my palms. Nightmare.

Ordered the Kool Stop jack and figured I'd give it one last try before I turned the whole mess back into the shop to solve. Truly astounded how easy it was. 10 minutes for both tires? Maybe? Had to share.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Great tool, just beware some carbon rims advise not using it.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Absolutely, works great. I had to saw off part of the handle to get it to fit in my saddle bag. Very handy to have around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of Cannondale Hollowgram wheels that are ridiculously hard to get tires on. Everyone says "oh, you have to get the bead in the well... start at the valve... start opposite the valve..." Doesn't matter - the wheels are just that hard to get tires on. No way I could do it without the KoolStop tire jack.

Now, getting the tires off... if only the tire jack worked in reverse.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Might have to look into this. In freshening up the tires on both mine and my wife's road bikes, I actually wore her wheels out of true while trying to get the [expletive] tires off of and back onto the [expletive] rims. 'Course, my bike shop guy had the tire installed and the rim trued within 10 minutes...go figure.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    This just for tubeless or does it work with a tubed Kevlar bead clincher? Does it puncture the tube easily?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    This just for tubeless or does it work with a tubed Kevlar bead clincher?
    Nope, works (and works great) on all. The tire jack has been around long before tubeless tires.

Does it puncture the tube easily?
    Opposite. It's almost impossible to puncture the tube. It works on the outside of the bead, not the inside like tire levers do.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Does it puncture the tube easily?

Does anything? Tubes are pretty tough as far as puncturing them with blunt plastic goes. Maybe it's possible but I think some people may assume they punctured the tube when what the did was not have it totally in.

Are you putting in tubes and finding they don't hold air at all when you think you punctured it during install or do they blow up after getting some PSI in there? If the former, that's due to getting a small piece of tube wedged between the bead and rim and I'm not sure this tool will do anything for that. If the former though this will totally eliminate that as a possibility.

Google a video on how to use it. That's make the 'why' very clear.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    If the former, that's due to getting a small piece of tube wedged between the bead and rim and I'm not sure this tool will do anything for that.
    Yes it does, very much so.
    Unlike tire levers which go inside the tire and catch on the tube, the tire jack works outside the tire and never catches the tube.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Never Give Up!
    Pretty KOOL little tool, never know it existed. too bad it's not small enough to carry in a saddle bag in the event when needed out on the road!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Pretty KOOL little tool, never know it existed. too bad it's not small enough to carry in a saddle bag in the event when needed out on the road!

In an earlier post someone mentions cutting one down to fit a bag.

Honestly, I've never had trouble changing a flat out on the road. I think the initial install is the hardest, and my shop usually does that for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    In an earlier post someone mentions cutting one down to fit a bag.

Honestly, I've never had trouble changing a flat out on the road. I think the initial install is the hardest, and my shop usually does that for me.
    Definitely. With regular clinchers anyway.

When I know I'm going to change tires I'll usually put the new one on a spare wheel with a cheap tube a couple days in advance and pump it to like 130 psi. That way it's easier to put on when it counts and I'm using latex tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    MaxKatt,

This thread reminds me of a problem I had trying to mount some MTB tires. I could not get them installed. I went to You Tube and did some searching. I found out the the main issue was fighting friction (even knowing that some tubeless tires are just difficult to mount). The fix, was to get some dish soap and water, and lube up the bead and rims. After doing that, I was able to mount the tires just using my hands and no tools or devices. I have been doing this ever since, and it works a treat! Give it a try sometime.

Jim D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I wholehearted agree. I don't know why (maybe its my age) but mounting clinchers used to be a breeze now its a case of brute force. This tool makes its so much easier (still not as easy as it once was).

If you can find one, VAR makes a compact version. It doesn't have the level of brute strength of the Kool Stop but once a tire is mounted the first time, it seems that the bead stretches enough that remounting isn't as hard. The nice thing about the VAR is its the size of 3 plastic tire levers - 2 are attached on one end to provide the leverage and a third - stored inside the other 2 provides some help along the way - best of all it fits in a compact bag along with your spare tube. The Kool Stop is a shop tool for me, the VAR is a carry along. If you can find one (they are still in VAR's catalog) pick one up you won't disappointed.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by coupster View Post
    I wholehearted agree. I don't know why (maybe its my age) but mounting clinchers used to be a breeze now its a case of brute force. This tool makes its so much easier (still not as easy as it once was).
    While age doesn't help, it's probably not that. The advent of tubeless compatible rims and tires has made mounting as well as dismounting more difficult. About a year ago, I had a rim-tire combo that was impossible to dismount without some serious tools which would be too large to carry on a bike ride. Needless to say, I never used them.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    I have to give a shout out to this tool. I'm sure many of you know it, but I feel a duty to share.

Couldn't get Gatorskins on my Zipp 30's, nor could shop when I went for an assist.

Replaced with Schwalbe One's that had be running. Still couldn't get them on despite 3 hours, watching every video and tip on YouTube. Rubber palmed gloves...bead in center of rim...push slack around... Nothing. Had a martini, snapped my girlfriend who tried to be helpful, blisters on my palms. Nightmare.

Ordered the Kool Stop jack and figured I'd give it one last try before I turned the whole mess back into the shop to solve. Truly astounded how easy it was. 10 minutes for both tires? Maybe? Had to share.
    Hey -- Thanks for the tip. I bought my wife a set of custom wheels that came, with tubeless rims. They're a frigging nightmare to mount tire on. I tried several brands of tires, and it sucked with anything (Conti, Michelin, Vittoria). I ended up putting tubeless tires on them. I'm not a fan, but so far, no flats. Sooner or later, I'm told, I need to take them off and clean out the dried up sealant.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Sooner or later, I'm told, I need to take them off and clean out the dried up sealant.
    No you don't. It doesn't harm anything.
    Only time you need to is on a bike you don't ride that much. If it sits for a long time, the sealant will dry in one place. Making the wheel out of balance.