KT Tape, Spidertech Tape, Rock tape
    RoadBikeReview Member

KT Tape, Spidertech Tape, Rock tape

Is it all in the head or does it really work?

I love to climb!
    I've tried the rocktape, and it does seem to help. Not that it works any miracles, but when I overworked my knee, it felt better in just 3-4 days with the tape, whereas the previous time it had taken over a week without the tape to feel better. 'Course, maybe I just didn't hurt it as bad the second time? At any rate, it doesn't hurt and seems like it may actually do something, even if it's not really all that much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I'm sure I'll be flamed for saying this but I love the stuff and use it at least once a week when I go overboard on a long ride. The pre cut tapes work best, but they cost even more than the already overly expensive tape.

Cheapest route is to not over train, get a bike fit, and blah blah blah.

Do what I did and buy one Spidertech wrap to try it.

Just batting at the bunny
    I've had bad knees since I was 16 (hit with a fastball in highschool, broken rt knee, dislocated left knee one year later, scoped out chipped bits).

I can tell you, without a doubt, the the KT Tape works for me. Not just a product of mental trickery either. I was skeptical that just some flimsy piece of tape on my skin would somehow produce the claimed results, but the stuff works.

I first noticed the stuff on the beach volleyball broads, then saw some on pro tennis players, but when I started seeing it show up on some of the pro rugby players, I thought I'd give it a try to. Figured if THOSE DUDES bought into it, it must do something! lol....

All joking aside, I will tape up before most of my rides. Not every ride, but if I'm going out for my longer club rides, or if I'm gonna go tackle some heavy hills or do an extended ride of any sort, I'll tape up. I've even taped up for recovery purposes if my bones are really giving my some extra grief.

I can't vouch for the other two that were mentioned (never heard of 'em actually) but I buy the KT Tape all the time. Sports Authority, Sports Chalet....they usually carry it.

Slightly Opinionated
    Yep. It works.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

I ride in circles..
    I bought a few rolls of KT tape to try with my varsity swimmers.. I taped a knee and 2 shoulders. The girls did say it helped support the joint.. However it didn't stick as well as advertised in the pool. Had we been able to keep it attached to their skin it would have been even better. I still have 1 roll left that I might try myself if needed.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM View Post
    I bought a few rolls of KT tape to try with my varsity swimmers.. I taped a knee and 2 shoulders. The girls did say it helped support the joint.. However it didn't stick as well as advertised in the pool. Had we been able to keep it attached to their skin it would have been even better. I still have 1 roll left that I might try myself if needed.

The longer ahead of time you can apply the tape, and the less you touch the adhesive on the anchor points the better. I usually rub the crap out of the tape once I have it applied with the waxy side of the backing paper. Heats up the tape and causes a better adhesion.

I've actually gone a couple days and showers with the same tape on.

Just gotta make sure the skin is free from things like lotions or anything to also have a better adhesion. The website gives great tips and even instructional videos for taping up various ailments.

I ride in circles..
    We cleaned the skin well ahead of time.. even used rubbing alcohol to further clean the area. Let dry a good while too.

I applied the tape over an hour before practice most times.. Once when I taped the girls knee we did it before school then she didn't swim till the end of the day. Her's did stick the best but it still came off too quickly.

I guess there are different formulations that work better in the pool though.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Yeah that seems weird. Like I said, I've applied tape in the morning, rode with it for a couple hours, showered, and had it on till the next day.

It's come off of me before on a ride, but I think I must have messed up the process somehow. Sounds like you did it all correctly....I know when I've thought I was doing it correctly but then been off on how I bend my knee when applying it, sometimes I haven't had the best adhesion.

Don't know how the pool affects the tape, just been my experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I use KT tape exclusively now, and had used Rocktape before. Both are of similar quality, but the KT is conveniently pre-cut. I did an Xterra race with one ankle taped for support and my shins to prevent the usual aches i get from trail running. Awesome stuff. We use Kinesioflex in the Athletic Training department where I intern, and the athletes and AT's all really like it.

I've only had one time when the KT didn't stick well (granted, I did a "custom" taping to experiment), when I did a century ride this summer and it was really hot. It only lasted until mile 70 or so before just falling off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    yes it does. I am skeptical of it (i am a westerner... cut me some slack), but the Asians (not sure which group specifically) are actually doing research on COLOR of the tape having effect.

No joke. I thought it was crazy too. But we use it in our clinic, applied by certified KT therapist, and i have seen it do great things

RoadBikeReview Member
    I mean I use it myself and some of my ridding buddies are very skeptical they actual work. Personally for me they work good during the activity but work best for recovery IMO.