Lance new TT position

Mar 2002

Lance new TT position

This was probably discussed some time ago, but through the wonder of PhotoShop and the resources of being a journalist, I've cropped a couple of shots showing the difference in Lance's new TT position. He has obviously been influenced by Ullrich and the now reconstituted ONCE team, whose Giant TT bikes sported seriously low, completely horizontal TT bars. This of course, flattens the back even further lowering wind resistance. Look at the extreme "scoop" angle of Lance's back in his new position, forming a more compact arc over the top. In his previous position, there was a noticeable high-low drop off from his upper back to his butt. For mere mortals, this new TT position would just cause one hell of a backache.

Without further adu ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

BS the DC
    Looks about the same to me ... the angle of his arms, his horizontal forearms, the angle of his back ... the "scoop" is an optical illusion. The pictures are not taken from the exact same vantage point.

May 2002
    He's like that cause he has that type of back. It's not voluntarily.

Mar 2002

Ullrich and Nozal's TT position

I couldn't find a profile shot of Isidro's TT positon, but you can still see from this angle that the bars are either completely horizontal or, in Ullirich's case slightly angled downward. It seems to me that Lance is working to achieve a similar flat-back profile. Everyone knows that Lance's back is slightly hunched b/c of years of cycling, but both of these competitor's TT profiles are flatter and lower. Just my 10 cents ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2004
    Although these photos are not taken from the same vantage point it does seem that Lancie-boy is a bit more compact with the new setup... ?
    "I don't know, trying is the first step towards failure." -Homer

BS the DC
    What part of Ullrich's back looks flat? I see a hump bigger than Lance's ... and he's slid so far forward on the saddle, it looks like he's hitting his elbows with his knees.

Mar 2002

We agree on the vantage points ...

Okay, OBVIOUSLY these photos are not from the EXACT same vantage point and from the same camera. The point is to show Lance's new TT position, which has most to do with the new bars. His new hand position is lower and more aero than his previous TT position. I can't help but think it is influenced by the position of riders like Jan and Isidro who apparently can hold this ungodly low position for an entire TT. Yeah, there is a hump in Jan's back too, but from these SIMILARLY shot photos, his back profile seems slightly more aero than Lance's old one to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Lightbulb

I don't see a whole lot of difference b/t last year and this year. His wrists are bent down a bit more. And the ends of his bars are chopped off (aero and bullhorn). Now he is gripping right at the shifters and the bullhorns don't have the little flip up that would seem to be slightly uncomfortable to grip as you brake and stand, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member

Optical illusion indeed

I don't know if you noticed, the aero bars are actually higher in the new position picture (spacer cops, feel free to chime in.). THe TDF helmet fairing is partially responsible for the illusion.

No difference in the position, except that wrists are tilted downward a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSpeed
    This was probably discussed some time ago, but through the wonder of PhotoShop and the resources of being a journalist, I've cropped a couple of shots showing the difference in Lance's new TT position. He has obviously been influenced by Ullrich and the now reconstituted ONCE team, whose Giant TT bikes sported seriously low, completely horizontal TT bars. This of course, flattens the back even further lowering wind resistance. Look at the extreme "scoop" angle of Lance's back in his new position, forming a more compact arc over the top. In his previous position, there was a noticeable high-low drop off from his upper back to his butt. For mere mortals, this new TT position would just cause one hell of a backache.

Without further adu ...