Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I replaced the gauge on my steel floor drive early this week. The needle on the gauge began to stop at about 17 psi instead of zero. I called Lezyne, and they sent me a new gauge, o-ring, thread compound, and instructions, gratis.

The instructions imply that pressure on the heel of the hand and a turning motion are needed to loosen and remove the existing gauge. That did not work for me, so while wearing some hard-rubber-soled sandals, I placed the ball of my foot on the gauge and rotated my foot. That worked. I cleaned the threads in the body with 91% isopropyl alcohol followed by acetone. The old thread locker compound needed to be removed. I applied some of the new thread locker and installed the gauge with pressure from the heel of my hand. Seemed to work OK.

I like my steel floor drive thus far. I believe it's about 3 years old, give or take, and I use it up to six times weekly. I happy that it can be repaired if need be and that parts are available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gearloose View Post
    I replaced the gauge on my steel floor drive early this week. The needle on the gauge began to stop at about 17 psi instead of zero. I called Lezyne, and they sent me a new gauge, o-ring, thread compound, and instructions, gratis.

The instructions imply that pressure on the heel of the hand and a turning motion are needed to loosen and remove the existing gauge. That did not work for me, so while wearing some hard-rubber-soled sandals, I placed the ball of my foot on the gauge and rotated my foot. That worked. I cleaned the threads in the body with 91% isopropyl alcohol followed by acetone. The old thread locker compound needed to be removed. I applied some of the new thread locker and installed the gauge with pressure from the heel of my hand. Seemed to work OK.

I like my steel floor drive thus far. I believe it's about 3 years old, give or take, and I use it up to six times weekly. I happy that it can be repaired if need be and that parts are available.
    It's good that you were able to fix the pump. It is nice to just fix something. I have an extra gauge that I will put on if the need arises. I do like the pump and enjoy the thread on chuck. Anyway hoping for a few years of trouble free use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Update: I used pump + new gauge today. Instructions said to let thread locker cure for 72 hours before use.

I hated to wait 72 hours, but I followed instructions like a good Marine. Paid off, I guess, because the pump and new gauge worked well.

I really like the threaded chuck as well.

Big is relative
    I bought a steel drive pump in the spring and I like it. I had a Silca Super Pista for a few decades with no issues except the occasional leather washer every few years. The barrel finally quit and the Lyzene were on sale. I like the thread-on chuck with the vent button. I'm not going to rip any valve stems out with this one.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I've had my Lezyne floor pump for almost 2 years. It worked flawlessly for about a year, then the problem with (lack of) pressure started to happen. If I press the pump handle quick, it builds up the pressure but when doing it slow, it just sinks to the bottom. 2 days ago, a spanner tool I ordered arrived so I opened up the top cap and examined the O-ring (usual culprit) but what I found was the grease surrounding it is very high viscous. So I wiped it off and applied some grease with lower viscosity (Park Tool Polylube 1000). Now it works well again without changing the O-ring. I wonder if they spec it for warmer climate...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Lezyne is now shipping their pumps with a new head that isn't screw on. Check the lezyne site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I've had my Lezyne floor pump for almost 2 years. It worked flawlessly for about a year, then the problem with (lack of) pressure started to happen. If I press the pump handle quick, it builds up the pressure but when doing it slow, it just sinks to the bottom. 2 days ago, a spanner tool I ordered arrived so I opened up the top cap and examined the O-ring (usual culprit) but what I found was the grease surrounding it is very high viscous. So I wiped it off and applied some grease with lower viscosity (Park Tool Polylube 1000). Now it works well again without changing the O-ring. I wonder if they spec it for warmer climate...
    Yeah the first thing to do is clean under the 0-ring as build up will cause it to leak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by goodboyr View Post
    Lezyne is now shipping their pumps with a new head that isn't screw on. Check the lezyne site.
    I went to the site and they have a video on the new chuck. It looks like a great system. Maybe when my chuck 0-ring is leaking I will just buy the ABS chuck and give it a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Hopefully it works better than the old ABS chuck. Those pop off the valve stem with any pressure.

The screw on chucks work ok but eventually wear out and stop sealing.

OTOH my Steel Drive floor pump itself has not needed maintenance for four years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    I have a Lezyne Steel Floor Drive ABS which required a new piston o-ring. Mine was replaced with a 28mm OD x 24mm ID x 3mm thick o-ring. I have baggie full of them and will last my lifetime. If your pump requires same size, PM me and I'll ship to you, gratis, in the USA.

Mine are of FKM composition: "FKM (by ASTM D1418 standard) (equivalent to FPM by ISO/DIN 1629 standard) is the designation for about 80% of fluoroelastomers as defined in ASTM D1418. ... Fluoroelastomers are more expensive than neoprene or nitrile rubber elastomers. They provide additional heat and chemical resistance."

update: i have extra 10mm o-rings which fit inside the presta chuck as well
    Last edited by waltermitty; 09-13-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12