Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

Lezyme Floor pump

Last year I posted about the Lezyme Steel drive floor pump and my issues with not being able to repair the pump when needed. My problem was with the "O" ring wearing out and unable to find a replacement. Temporarily resolved the issue because the bumper "O" ring at the top of the piston could be put into service moving the worn "O" ring to replace the bumper.

Well at this point the second "O" ring is worn out and I was thinking of buying the Renkompressor pump as they have a different system that is repairable.

The good news however is Lezyme has added a re-build kit for my pump at their website which also works on many of their models. I am going to order a couple kits today which will make me happy and keep the pump out of the landfill.

I do like the thread on chuck so I am happy to keep the pump going.
    Anyway I am just passing on some information and was not going to respond to comments. Basically if you have a Lezyme floor pump check out the website if you need a re-build kit.

Have a good day.

Re-Cyclist
    You can buy any O-ring online if you measure the ID and the cross section. Try MacMaster-Carr or even eBay. If not familiar with these things, visit your local industrial supplier.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    As best I know, you can buy replacement parts for about all the Lezyne floor pumps right off their website, here. If the HP seal kit doesn't have what you need, give them a call and they will probably arrange a replacement for you.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

“Never use your face as a brake pad
    -Jake Watson

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    You can buy any O-ring online if you measure the ID and the cross section. Try MacMaster-Carr or even eBay. If not familiar with these things, visit your local industrial supplier.
    I think McMaster is $6 min for shipping. They ship everything UPS & in a box. Not worth it for a $.50 O-ring.
    I've never had an O-ring I couldn't find on ebay or Amazon. Usually shipped in an envelope for a couple bucks or free.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I just logged in to buy a kit however when I got to the shipping it was $11.69 so I am going to think about it for a while as that seems unreasonable to me.. I tried to find an O-ring at Lowe's, Home depot and Ace Hardware but was not able to get the one I needed. I did not try to measure the o-ring and buy on-line. But anyway the kits are there for if your willing to pay the cost.

Forever a Student

Why not add this video here.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    $11.99 for shipping? Dayam! Outrageous!

If you can figure out the o-ring size, you can buy them cheaply in bulk from someplace like The O-Ring Store. Where I live there are many industrial supply houses around, and a bunch of those do O-rings by sizing. You might check if there's a Granger nearby, or something similar. If you can figure out the size, buy several, and stash the extras.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I went to the McMaster wedsite and measured and ordered from them for $6.51. I will follow up as to the fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    The 0-ring pack showed up and they work perfectly. I actually bought a pack of 50 for $6.50 and there was a $6.00 shipping charge. I figured I would either have O-rings for life or if they did not fit and I would give up on the pump. Anyway I am good and will be using the Lezyme steel drive for a long time. I will eventually order an 0-ring for the screw on chuck but will wait until I need it. They ask for a measurement of the width and the internal diameter and you select the material the ring is made from. I just picked the one labeled the most common and it seems to be the same stuff as the factory o-ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    We use McMaster Carr at work a lot and they have a great selection of parts and good service. Its sort of like an Ace Hardware on steroids. I recently needed a 2" diameter copper tube to build an antenna and couldn't find it at any local hardware store so ordered it from McMaster Carr and had it the next day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone ever heard of a Lezyne gauge failing catastrophically?

Last week while using my CNC floor pump the plastic cover on the gauge shot into the air. Now, any pumping is met with movement of the needle, but a hiss from the general area as the air bleeds off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yes. Same thing happened to my Alloy Floor Drive gauge ten days ago. Contacted Leyzne and spoke with Zack and he sent out a replacement 3.5" gauge that day. Simply top-notch Customer Service. FYI: they are aware of what is causing the problem [the defect, if you will...] and have rectified it for the gauges in production [per Lezyne].

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I bought my Lezyme just over 2 years ago at REI. The first pump had a gauge malfunction right away (the needle would not return to zero and stuck at about 20PSI). I returned the pump to REI for another one and it had the same problem right away and I then contacted Lezyme and they said they would send me out a new gauge. In the meantime I was using a small hand pump and decided to take the pump back to REI since they are ok with returns. I then brought home my third pump and the gauge has worked fine. Lezyme did send me a replacement gauge and I just have it in reserve since the third pump has worked well in that regard.

Lezyme was very responsive to me about the gauge but never answered emails about 0-ring replacement. However they do have the re-build kit now which was previously covered.

Now that I can work around the 0-ring replacement situation I am happy to keep using the pump. However if I ever come across one of the old Silca pumps with the Columbus tubing barrel I will snag it. I ride on Columbus tubing and would enjoy owning that pump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you recall the o-ring size that you bought in bulk? I have two Lezyne floor pumps, and both have been trouble-free. But since the o-ring is a wear item, and you can get a deal on generic replacements, it wouldn't hurt to have a few around.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    Do you recall the o-ring size that you bought in bulk? I have two Lezyne floor pumps, and both have been trouble-free. But since the o-ring is a wear item, and you can get a deal on generic replacements, it wouldn't hurt to have a few around.
    1 Multipurpose O-Ring, Oil-Resistant Buna-N, 3MM Wide, 22MM ID, Packs of 50 1Pack 1 0 6.51Per Pack 6.51

I assume the o-ring would fit in the pumps that are listed In the re-build kits at the Lezyme website but can only say for sure with my Lezyme Steel drive HP floor pump. There was about $6.00 shipping on top of the $6.51.
    Last edited by BikeLayne; 10-07-2015 at 02:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks!
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    How long did you own your Lezyne before you needed to rebuild it? The reason I ask is that I have a Silca Pista I got in early 80's and it never needed rebuilding until about 5 years ago. I know Lezyne hasn't been in business that long so it doesn't sound like the durability is very good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    How long did you own your Lezyne before you needed to rebuild it? The reason I ask is that I have a Silca Pista I got in early 80's and it never needed rebuilding until about 5 years ago. I know Lezyne hasn't been in business that long so it doesn't sound like the durability is very good.
    For the OP, check the first post. He's definitely had short-life issues with o-rings.

I have two Lezynes - one Floor Drive that is about 4 years old and gets used/abused once or twice a week. The other is a CNC Floor Drive, a year old last month, and gets used 3-4 times per week. The older Floor Drive mostly gets abused by the kids. Both have been flawless, no problems.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah. My cnc pump is now 5 years old. Only thing I've done is replace heads ( it came with older version without pressure release button) and gauge ( I upgraded to the digital version). No sign of issues with getting to pressure. I pump my tubbies to 150 during gluing process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    It's just the 0-ring that wears out and it seems for me it takes a year before you have to pump a couple times to get pressure. There are 3 of us using the pump so I suppose if it was just myself I would get about 3 years. I had a Silca in the 70's and it had a leather plunger type thing and it lasted while I owned the pump which was about 10 years. I misplaced that pump when I moved to this house in 84. I basically lost it somehow. Anyway I have 49 spare 0-rings so that certainly will not be a problem in the future.

I replaced the 0-ring in the chuck about a year ago and I bought a rebuild kit for a small Lezyme hand pump thinking it would be the same. It is easy to change and if I need another one I am going to measure and buy on-line.
    Last edited by BikeLayne; 10-07-2015 at 02:40 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLayne View Post
    It's just the 0-ring that wears out and it seems for me it takes a year before you have to pump a couple times to get pressure. There are 3 of us using the pump so I suppose if it was just myself I would get about 3 years. I had a Silca in the 70's and it had a leather plunger type thing and it lasted while I owned the pump which was about 10 years. I misplaced that pump when I moved to this house in 84. I basically lost it somehow. Anyway I have 49 spare 0-rings so that certainly will not be a problem in the future.

I replaced the 0-ring in the chuck about a year ago and I bought a rebuild kit for a small Lezyme hand pump thinking it would be the same. It is easy to change and if I need another one I am going to measure and buy on-line.
    That pump doesn't sound promising to me, I have a mini Road Drive pump and it seems great so I thought the floor pump would be too..I guess not. I guess I'll just rebuild my Silca.

Now for the curiosity question: how did you end up with 49 spare O Rings?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    That pump doesn't sound promising to me, I have a mini Road Drive pump and it seems great so I thought the floor pump would be too..I guess not. I guess I'll just rebuild my Silca.

Now for the curiosity question: how did you end up with 49 spare O Rings?
    I bought a pack of 50 0-rings sort of by accident. The website check out is not a straight forward affair. Since they work I am happy to have them. Anyway 50 O-rings with shipping was about $12.50. I was going to bail out on the pump if they did not fit and start fresh with something else.

If the Silca is a pump you like then re-build it if you can. At this point with pumps I think before you buy one a person should make sure small parts are available at a reasonable price. However with the exception of the new and expensive Silca pump I do not know which one that would be. I am just going to keep my Lezyme going for as long as possible and then move on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLayne View Post
    ... I am just going to keep my Lezyme going for as long as possible and then move on.
    Since your experience is definitely different than mine, and some others, I'm curious why your pump wears out o-rings as fast as it does. That shouldn't be happening. Have you been able to visually see any damage to the worn out o-rings?

If it were me, and it happened again, I'd probably want to clean out the pump cylinder (solvent flush) really well. Maybe there were some metal grindings, dust, dirt, or the like that didn't get cleaned out after machining, and are now just held up in the grease. Inspecting the barrel is probably near impossible without a borescope, but I'd give as close a look as possible.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    Since your experience is definitely different than mine, and some others, I'm curious why your pump wears out o-rings as fast as it does. That shouldn't be happening. Have you been able to visually see any damage to the worn out o-rings?

If it were me, and it happened again, I'd probably want to clean out the pump cylinder (solvent flush) really well. Maybe there were some metal grindings, dust, dirt, or the like that didn't get cleaned out after machining, and are now just held up in the grease. Inspecting the barrel is probably near impossible without a borescope, but I'd give as close a look as possible.
    That's a very good idea. There could even be a burr left behind from the manufacturing process that wasn't removed. Is the pump still under warranty? If not and you find a burr simply buy a cheap fine tooth round file and attempt to smooth the burr.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I looked the pump over about a year ago when I had my first o-ring failure. I used a flashlight to peer down the thing. It looked fine to me. However it works fine now so I am done for as long as it is feeling well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast