Light colored vs Dark colored Jersey and the Summer Session Heat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

Light colored vs Dark colored Jersey and the Summer Session Heat

In your opinion is there a noticable difference in reflecting heat during the hot summer months between the like jerseys of white (or lighter) and black (or dark) jerseys?

Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Yes there is, but jersey thickness and material composition matters too.

If you are looking to stay a tad cooler in the sun, look for a white, tight fitting jersey that has UV protection of some kind.

the looser the jersey, the more air there is to create an insulation layer between your skin and the jersey.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    most of my jerseys are black. virtually everything else I wear is also black (shorts, socks, shoes, gloves).

comparing the jerseys to white or light colors, I can't tell any difference in 100+F temps.

but, I'm sure someone will claim exactly the opposite.

the material used is likely the reason...I can definitely tell a difference between a black cotton t-shirt and a white one in the summer sun.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    most of my jerseys are black. virtually everything else I wear is also black (shorts, socks, shoes, gloves).

comparing the jerseys to white or light colors, I can't tell any difference in 100+F temps.

but, I'm sure someone will claim exactly the opposite.

the material used is likely the reason...I can definitely tell a difference between a black cotton t-shirt and a white one in the summer sun.
    Like you I prefer black or dark. Just beginning to ride again I don't have a lot of clothing. All being equal I would purchase black but if there is a noticable difference then that's another story.

jpz
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    the reason I'll wear light (or bright) unless in a group is visibility. Drivers don't see you as well as you might think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    color will help a little, but not nearly as much as how it breathes and allows heat to pass through. I'd take a printed summer weight jersey over a white regular one any sunny day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallH1987 View Post
    color will help a little, but not nearly as much as how it breathes and allows heat to pass through. I'd take a printed summer weight jersey over a white regular one any sunny day.
    But would you take a white jersey with the same summer weight as a black for a 98F 3 hour ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knezz View Post
    But would you take a white jersey with the same summer weight as a black for a 98F 3 hour ride?
    the sun in colorado is evil. I'd go with something lighter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallH1987 View Post
    the sun in colorado is evil. I'd go with something lighter.
    not any more brutal than central TX...I've ridden in 112F with a black jersey and didn't die.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    not any more brutal than central TX...I've ridden in 112F with a black jersey and didn't die.
    that is why i put color as a secondary concern to material/construction. Black will also be better at radiating body heat than white. Basically i'd just find a summer jersey that you like and go with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    If you are looking to stay a tad cooler in the sun, look for a white, tight fitting jersey that has UV protection of some kind.
    Well tight fitting jerseys make me ride faster.

I have quite a few rolls and don't want anyone to see them so I ride faster to reduce the chance of embarrassment.

I've learned to ignore my pride and wear most of my jerseys tight but comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpz View Post
    the reason I'll wear light (or bright) unless in a group is visibility. Drivers don't see you as well as you might think.
    Second this. If you ride where there's any vehicle traffic at all, dark colors seem a poor choice. I wear bright colors, and to my eye riders in dark colors are much less visible.

But, obviously it's your choice.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by knezz View Post
    Key question: is it sunny? Black will certainly absorb more heat from the sun than white but as has been repeatedly noted things like fabric and fit mean a lot more. At these conditions you will be sweating heavily and the jersey that handles moisture the best will be the coolest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's the middle of January and I can't remember what it's like to ride in the hot summer months.
    Too old to ride plastic

waterproof*
    Froome sunburn.jpgthis thread needs more pix
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which is least un-cool; hi-vis green, fluorescent yellow or fluorescent orange?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I like light colored jerseys for the visibility.

Most of my stuff is for dealing with the heat, not the cold. I really like the Capo stuff with the Coldblack treatment. The one black jersey I have, has that, and I can't tell the difference.
    Last edited by Blackbeerthepirate; 01-25-2014 at 04:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I do not have the riding experience these guys have... but do have experience dealing with the high heat and high humidity here in east Texas...
    I have found for myself that material is more important than color..
    I have also found that with tight fitting clothing, material being the same, light colors deal with the heat better... but in loose fitting clothing light vs. dark does not matter much and in fact dark may have the edge.
    I like the idea of being seen when I am riding on the road...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    You mean like temperature cool, or "cool" cool? If the former, no difference among those; if the latter, I think the yellow is the best balance of visibility and seeming sort of like a "normal" color.

But it ain't a big difference.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I think that the fit and material are the most important for temperature regulation. I prefer a very thin, loose fitting jersey for truly hot weather ( unzip it and you can feel the breeze against your skin - I am not racing so I don't care about aerodynamics).

In a tight fitting jersey you will feel the heat more in a dark jersey than a light colored one. That being said, for me the color choice is based on the background scenery - I want to stand out. In dark forested areas I like brightly colored jerseys. In the fall when the trees are colorful I switch to bright blue or green jerseys. In the bright desert areas I use a darker jersey. I do refuse to wear hi-vis yellow or green. It just ain't my style...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I only wear hi-viz clothing some obnoxious shade of greenish yellow. Better fred than dead.

Im amazed at the number of serious riders (and runners) wearing dark clothing, especially in twilight or shadowy conditions. Way too hard to see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never noticed a difference in jersey color. When it's hot, it's hot. I sweat as much in light colors as in dark. Go with full length zippers, if possible, as venting can help riding downwind or uphill.

I do agree with the visibility angle (which is why I prefer white helmets, too), but the one time that I met a car the wrong way, I was wearing the gaudiest jersey that I own, along with the white helmet. So, go figure.

Workin' for the Man
    Hi Viz sunburn, FTW!
    If you would please put your input underneath mine, that would be great. -- Steelflex

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm with the posters who say visibility trumps heat transmission variances. I'm actually shocked how often I now see (okay barely see) riders riding at night in what is essentially black camo. Even a couple years ago, it wasn't this way. Fortunately, the pro races currently being telecast from Down Under show that bright colors are becoming fashionable again.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Froome sunburn.jpgthis thread needs more pix
    Mavic Helium? My 1st ride with one I had a perfect outline of everything in the pockets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast