Light Cycling Shoes important or not? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

significance

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    A 150 lb (68 kg) rider on a 6% grade putting out 250 watts will be 15 seconds faster every hour of climbing by saving 200 grams. At 350 watts, the savings will be 13 seconds per hour of climbing. If these numbers are significant for you, then certainly spend the $$ to save the 200 gm.
    A typical weight weenie spends roughly $1000 per pound of weight cut. So for me to be able to save almost 1/2 pound for only an additional $50 seems pretty significant.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryyder View Post
    A typical weight weenie spends roughly $1000 per pound of weight cut. So for me to be able to save almost 1/2 pound for only an additional $50 seems pretty significant.
    It seems as though you have your mind made up which begs the question; why are you asking us?
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Can always drop the weight from the heaviest part of the bike - you! But if you're one of those slim Italian physique types then maybe shoes is the only place to lose weight? But at the end of the day, its your money. Do whatever you want with it. As long as its a good fit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    It seems as though you have your mind made up which begs the question; why are you asking us?
    Made up my mind about what? The question was "are light cycling shoes important", as in would they make a noticeable difference like say lighter wheels, tires etc....

Because I made a statement about the costs of cutting weight, I don't see how you draw the conclusion that my mind was made up.

Unless your one of those forum regulars that loves to make new members look like idiots for asking simple questions that are "so below you"... Maybe those people should keep their snarky replays to themselves.

RoadBikeReview Member

Because I made a statement about the costs of cutting weight, I don't see how you draw the conclusion that my mind was made up.
    Your statement was "So for me to be able to save almost 1/2 pound for only an additional $50 seems pretty significant."

If you are claiming that it is, indeed, significant it does sound like you have made up your mind to buy them...at least that it is worth the cash outlay. Nothing wrong with that, but most people don't like being asked for help, and then having the "helpee" come back at them with arguments for why they are wrong.

Using the weight weenies $1000/pound number doesn't necessarily make this deal worth it, just cheaper than what some people would pay for a similar weight loss. Just remember, there are plenty of people on that site that run absolutely terrible tires called Tufos simply because they are light, even though their performance is simply horrible. Using their logic to justify a purchase may not be the best idea, and I say that as someone who is a member over there.

As for light shoes, I like them, but as others have said, fit and stiffness are both FAR more important qualities to consider. As AndreyT said, they are no more or less important than lightweight pedals as they are part of the same system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Made up my mind about what? The question was "are light cycling shoes important", as in would they make a noticeable difference like say lighter wheels, tires etc....

Unless your one of those forum regulars that loves to make new members look like idiots for asking simple questions that are "so below you"... Maybe those people should keep their snarky replays to themselves.
    Make a noticeable difference in what exactly?

I train my ass off to eek out every last stupid watt to be able to be competitive (subjective) in road events. When I'm absolutely dying, on the rivet and watching the best guys ride away from me up that last climb I'm 100% sure 200g off my shoes will make no noticeable difference in my performance to close that gap.

I'm 100% sure they will make zero difference when you need to close a gap on the flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post

If you are claiming that it is, indeed, significant it does sound like you have made up your mind to buy them...at least that it is worth the cash outlay. Nothing wrong with that, but most people don't like being asked for help, and then having the "helpee" come back at them with arguments for why they are wrong.
    I wasn't telling anyone they are wrong. I was simply saying; the people that think 1/2 a pound is totally insignificant, they must not do much racing. In competitive mt biking, guys i ride with spend lots of time and money getting their full suspension 29ers down to 23-24lb range for racing and competitive purposes, and for those type of competitors 1/2 lb is huge! My thought it that 1/2 of weight on the rider might be very insignificant BUT then started thinking 1/2 lb of riding shoes might actually be significant afterall, since it is part of the drivetrain in a sense, especially since were clipped in... Thats why i asked others thoughts on the matter.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    "The shoes I'm considering both fit well & I like, but one pair is about 100 grams lighter"

I'm not very good at math, but the last I knew there were 2 shoes in a pair. That would equal about 50 grams per shoe or about 3.5 ounces per shoe.

I'm talking about almost a half a pound, it's over 100 grams per shoe."

I'm not saying that's untrue, but you have to admit it's certainly different from your 1st post

If you think that amount is insignificant you must not do any competitive riding."

It's probably just me but, I thought maybe there was a little condescending tone in that last statement. At any rate I'm guilty as charged. I raced a lot in the mid 60s through the late 70s & eventually worked my way up to cat 2. I'll be 70 in a few months & no longer compete because I just don't feel like it. I'mm in 2 cycling clubs both of which have very spirited rides. They're not actually competition. Sometimes I join in. Anyway, if your comment was not meant to be condescending I apologize in advance.

"Unless you're one of those forum regulars..."

Jeez! Guilty again.

"...that loves to make new members look like idiots for asking simple questions that are "so below you."

Nah, that's not me. I've been riding for a very long time & I still have lots to learn. There are several reasons I'm a regular at these forums. One is to learn, another is to help other cyclists when I can, & also I like the camaraderie. It's likely I could have couched my post in more "gentle" phrasing. One of my personality defects, & I'm not sure it's a defect, is if you don't want to know what I really think, don't ask me because I'll tell you.

Anyway...I'm ready to play nice if you are.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

breathe in,out; repeat
    Jun 2011
    I went from a casual mountain bike shoe (leather-ish upper, rubber sole) and mtb pedals to SIDI SDS (sidi design, other manufacturer) road shoes and Look KEO pedals.

MUCH lighter, and a lot more comfortable. However, if asking about a minimal difference from one road shoe to another, probably not so important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    "The shoes I'm considering both fit well & I like, but one pair is about 100 grams lighter"

Anyway...I'm ready to play nice if you are.[/B]
    The weight was per shoe, 110grams per shoe.

Im not into those "I'm right your wrong" inter web discussions, So lets not make assumptions as to intended tone.

It just didn't sound like you were into competitive cycling based on your response, no harm intended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wasn't telling anyone they are wrong. I was simply saying; the people that think 1/2 a pound is totally insignificant, they must not do much racing. In competitive mt biking, guys i ride with spend lots of time and money getting their full suspension 29ers down to 23-24lb range for racing and competitive purposes, and for those type of competitors 1/2 lb is huge! My thought it that 1/2 of weight on the rider might be very insignificant BUT then started thinking 1/2 lb of riding shoes might actually be significant afterall, since it is part of the drivetrain in a sense, especially since were clipped in... Thats why i asked others thoughts on the matter.
    1/2 pound is not huge. Their PERCEPTION is that it is a huge amount. It is expensive to make a light bike 1/2 pound lighter, but the difference, in actual performance numbers, is not that significant as proved by Kerry Irons.

From my point of view someone telling people that 1/2 lb is HUGE in racing is the one that isn't seriously knowledgeable about racing. The very fact that full-squish bikes and hardtails race side by side (both successfully) should tell to that there are far too many variable to focus that much on weight. I will also promise you this. In an endurance race I promise you that a hot-spot caused by an ill-fitting shoe will cost you a lot more time than 1/2 lb of weight.

1/2 pound is a difference, and it is a measurable difference, but it is not a huge difference. I am a borderline weight weenie and I can tell you that the appreciable difference between a 23 and 24 pound MTB is bragging rights. Nothing more.

And for the record, I think you should get the shoes if they fit and you want them. I ride in S-Works shoes and I love them. But I don't notice a difference in weight when I switch to my Serfas Podium rain shoes, though the difference is most definitely there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for your replays everyone!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Nowadays one can purchase light "anything" that also fits well. Just depends on $$$

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    I had some heavy older generation Carnacs and then saw some Mavic shoes on sale online and bought them. They are much lighter, and though I doubt it makes much difference technically, psychologically I perceive my feet feel lighter, easier to spin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Maybe the most important

[QUOTE=Ryyder;4038358]Im about to order some new cycling shoes and wondering is the weight should be consideration?

A pro cyclist will stay off of his/her legs as much as possible. Why? Because they will fill with fluids;water and blood. They rotate like your wheels. Cyclist rarely attend the opening ceremonies at the Olympics, why? See above. Levitate your laegs as often as possible.

So the shoe is important but train with something heavier

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    My body weight can vary a half pound a day, or perhaps even more. However, as with many things, add a half pound here and there, and eventually it all adds up.

Most of my riding is casual commuting, touring, and fun rides. After years of using casual street shoes and toeclips, I've finally made the leap to clipless.

I've chosen SPD pedals, and low top MTB Casual shoes because I can wear them for more than just riding my bicycle. It may not be optimal, but they work well for me. Now, if I could just remember where I put my leather racing shoes, I may actually try my new cleats on them, but they certainly were not fun to walk in when I last used them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    When i played softball and took it seriously, I'd pay a lot more than $50 for a bat that hit the ball just a little harder. So, I understand if I was serious about competing, 10 seconds and hours saved would be worth the $50 to me.

As a fun / get healthy rider, I'd put that $50 against another pair of shorts so I don't have to do wash as often!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    from reading your posts I am convinced that the weight of the shoe is important to you. So buy the damn things and be done with it.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    If you are not a Cat 2, you will just be spending money.

If you want to go up hills faster, train more.

Or better yet, shed weight off the engine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    from reading your posts I am convinced that the weight of the shoe is important to you. So buy the damn things and be done with it.
    He probably already did, since this discussion was two years ago. And he's probably not listening to you, since he went away and hasn't posted since then.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    If you are not a Cat 2, you will just be spending money.

If you want to go up hills faster, train more.
    +1 Shoes are like saddles. It is more important that they be comfortable than be light. If they are both, fine, otherwise choose comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I don't worry about shoe weight at all, I am more worried about stiffness and power transfer and comfort.

With that I ride in Specialized S-Works in both my road and MTB shoes and love them.

Yea that's right.
    Hmm.... pretty old thread.

Anywho...

I think shoe weight matters enough to consider. I also think the weight 'adds' up over time on the bike contributing to fatigue, probably when you need it most.

And for the record, if $50 will buy me a 15 second lead on someone who was otherwise equal to me in every other regard, after only 20 miles on the bike, YES ma'am...please may I have another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    He probably already did, since this discussion was two years ago. And he's probably not listening to you, since he went away and hasn't posted since then.
    It takes me months to buy something. I have to research and read reviews. Then I have to read reviews of the reviewer to see it the review I read was a real review.

So, a good 8-16 months are needed to find out if the thing I want is worth it. By that time, a new version of that thing is out. So, then I have to read the reviews and comparisons of the new vs old.

All be told, if I'd just get off this stupid computer and ride more, I'd be faster than getting the "best" thing out there.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Sole stiffness is far more important, followed by comfort. A stiff sole will be more efficient at power transfer. 50 grams of weight just won't be noticed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast